PsyTrance Discussion and Stuff ver. III

Status
Not open for further replies.
PsyGhost said:
yes psynina and dali suck ass.

Look, if they did that ^- or at least Psynina- I'd be happy.

Sucking ass I mean.

Lol, psytrance must be macho music....

swilow said:
^I hate Psynina. I also hate Dali. Who needs that shit in this music really, just get out there and play or don't, I don't need to see some mediocre looking chick miming badly to crap trance.

QFT. There is nothing psychedelic about that sort of music and it can just kindly fuck off as far as I'm concerned. There are enough dodgy tracks that knock me out of my trips at parties as it is without things moving further in that direction.

Quageschi said:
I checked out scorb's new release and I have to say I am kind of on the fence about it. I like it and have been listening to it quite a bit, but there is something about it that just bothers me. I generally don't listen to stuff this dark, but I kinda like the darkness of it at the same time. I kind of feel like the tracks are too drawn out or that it is under sampled, but that doesn't seem to be it either. Anyone else feel like this about it?

I don't think that Scorb album is particularly dark at all. His live last Sat was pretty massive though. What do you mean by "under sampled"?

swilow said:
^If its anything like the ESP relelases, I wouldn't hold your breathe. Or just ignore my cynicsm. :)

Unfortunatesquid, I got a compilation by Painkiller-Hardfloor, that maybe what your thinking of...good, hard fullon. Unbelievably loud basslines too..:)

ESP, Space Tribe and Electric Universe give me a hardon. EU's new album is nuts. But then, I love ripping guitars. Perhaps it's the Jewish Israeli nepitism in me.

I've seen all three live and their albums don't do them justice. That being said, I think Burning is a great album. I like how they've worked together with a guitarist on every track so it's not just a token addition. Excellent stuff.

Also all this talk about bashing particular artists is kind stupid don't you think?

Surely blanketing one style of music from a producer with "this is shit and has no place in the scene" is a little elitist and discredits your opinion?

I'm not having a go at any one person, but some of us like a bit of cheese every now and then and female vocals are just the relish that I like it served with.

I've downloaded the Psynia album but haven't had a chance to listen yet. There is also a new Michelle Adamson album out, but I'm sure that will spawn a new rant of hatred. I really liked her last album.. I'm keen to give the latest one a listen.

Dali is one thing. I don't like vocals in Psy fullstop...The Psynina album has a really superb atmosphere though. Quite melancholy, actually.

ruski said:
ESP, Space Tribe and Electric Universe give me a hardon. EU's new album is nuts. But then, I love ripping guitars. Perhaps it's the Jewish Israeli nepitism in me.

Space Tribe and Electric Universe used to produce 100% pure concentrated grade-A acid goa mindmelters.

Now they produce buckets--wait, no heaping piles--of shit.

ruski said:
Also all this talk about bashing particular artists is kind stupid don't you think?

Surely blanketing one style of music from a producer with "this is shit and has no place in the scene" is a little elitist and discredits your opinion?

I'm not having a go at any one person, but some of us like a bit of cheese every now and then and female vocals are just the relish that I like it served with.

Nothing about liking good music makes you elitist. But supporting vocals and cheese in a musical genre that at its heart is a spiritual conscious effort of elevating the self in psychedelic immersion, makes you part of the collapse of the genre and the more importantly, the movement.

I disagree about ST, EC and ESP. I've seen them live recently (in the last few months) and they have totally blown the dance floor away. Most recently I witnessed Space Tribe @ RSF/EC and ESP/Electric Universe @ EC totally melt the dance floor.

EC's latest album is different from the last but I wouldn't call it crap.

Nothing about liking good music makes you elitist. But supporting vocals and cheese in a musical genre that at its heart is a spiritual conscious effort of elevating the self in psychedelic immersion, makes you part of the collapse of the genre and the more importantly, the movement.

The very essence of that comment is precisely why I was harping on about the demise of healthy discussion.

What you deem as "good" and what other people deem as "good" are two different things. Last time I checked we didn't live in a totalitarian society where other peoples opinions do not matter.

If you want to have your own opinion then have it but don't concoct some obsurdity about the demise of a culture based on someones dislikes/likes for a particular sound.

Music changes. If you don't like it then that's cool, nobody is asking you to like it. When it comes time to listen to someone elses opinion just be cool about it, there is utterly no need for this machoism, honestly.

PsyGhost said:
Space Tribe and Electric Universe used to produce 100% pure concentrated grade-A acid goa mindmelters.

Now they produce buckets--wait, no heaping piles--of shit.

Disagree, its just generic because neither Space Trive nor Electric Universe change- but Ollie said that, its not about revolution, but evolution. Space tribe SOUNDS the same as his '90s releases really, just with new school production and some tasty tricks. However, its just not for me by and large.

See, thats just naive I think. Psytrance is DANCE music; yar, its got the psychedelic prefix but that doesn't mean it has anything to do with spirituality. I don't see any connection between psy and the Spirit. The movement- is non-existent. People like dancing to phat beats in the bush, taking strong hallucingens, perhaps mixing with lemons (I saw your pic Ruski- tops!! :)) camping and chilling with friends....its not a religion and after noticing some of the more culty parties being thrown (Raelians for fxors sake) I opted out by and large. What psy trance is, is a FORMULA for producers, not musicians, to follow- the truly stand out artists are usually musicians, not just producers and they don't sound like everyone else.

I am sick of hearing generic mindless trance,so the best reposne is to stop listening to it. I know the lables and artists I like, and thats that. Trance becomes boring if you listen to it too much. Plus if your a producer, it gets even worse.

Sorry psyghost, but what you said I don't agree with; the term elitist being thrown around is silly, particulalry when you go on to make a rather obnoxious connection between vocals in trance and the death of 'the movement'. Now that sort of comment really is elitiist. :\

Currently banging Logic Bomb- Sonic Algebra. Nice stuff, good musicians.

ruski said:

ruski said:
What you deem as "good" and what other people deem as "good" are two different things. Last time I checked we didn't live in a totalitarian society where other peoples opinions do not matter.

Agree completely. One man's meat is another man's poison. However, (and it's a big however), my problem is slightly different to this.

Psychedelic trance is meant to be psychedelic. Take away the psychedelia and it's just, well, trance. And that's all and fine, but please for the love of god don't market trance as psychedelic trance or for a moment pretend that it is. Dali, 99% of tracks with vocals, all these things are not, by any stretch of the imagination, psychedelic music. Yeah yeah, "psychedelic" is subjective too, but I don't think anyone argues that Dali is psychedelic.

See this wouldn't be such a big problem but then parties get advertised as "psychedelic". And people go there to trip and be psychedelic. And when someone drops a Dali track or that dire Cosmosis remix of "Addicted to Bass" or some other cheesy botoleg, it kills people's trips. I tend to think that not having this cheesy unpsychedelic stuff at parties where a huge section of the audience is tripping is just as important as having free water or a chill out room.

But then, all that's just my opinion on things.

Not all psychadelic trance is neccessairly psychadelic but it still falls under that genre.

The bass line is strongly identifable as that pounding beat most listeners and producers would associate with psychadelic trance. Not all psy needs to sound like Triptych, Astral or other heavily psychadelic producers.

There are plenty of artists producing psy trance that don't neccessairly place obvious psychadelic components in their music, but in the end, it's what psy is for them. For you it's something different and I guess that is the crux of the issue.

That doesn't mean the producers are wrong for producing music under the psy trance label, hell their records come out on psy labels, it's just that the genre is different for everyone.

I think that psy has evolved beyong the classic way we are used to hearing it into a completley different animal and I love it for that. That doesn't mean just because we can't hear a classical acid melody that it's no longer psy.

I'm also not sure it's fair to align producers musical directives with the drugs that are consumed at a party. Psy is great to trip to, no arguements there, but to ask that producers keep that in mind? They make what sounds good to them, their peers and their record labels. If that resutls in music that rocks your body while tripping then I guess that's an added bonus but to ask them to keep that in mind during production? Arguably they probably already do but there shouldn't be an expectation. Needless to say that psy can be enjoyed sobre or on drugs, so why try and manipulate toward one or the other?

^Yes but psychedlic as a descriiption seems incorrect in many ways...but what IS psychedelic anyway? I think that psy has branched out dramatically in lot of directions; you have the crazy darkpsy, hardfullon stuff like Painkiller and Space Tribe, morning trance like Chromosone for example, elctroprogpsy etcblah blah. Onece you know what labels you like, your sure of getting what you want. I trust Twisted records, so I generally buy anything from them; I avoid Compact like the plague, simply because I heard so much of that stuff anyway....

ruski said:
Not all psychadelic trance is neccessairly psychadelic but it still falls under that genre.

The bass line is strongly identifable as that pounding beat most listeners and producers would associate with psychadelic trance. Not all psy needs to sound like Triptych, Astral or other heavily psychadelic producers.

There are plenty of artists producing psy trance that don't neccessairly place obvious psychadelic components in their music, but in the end, it's what psy is for them. For you it's something different and I guess that is the crux of the issue.

So what's the difference between non-psychedelic psy trance and vanilla trance? I think they have a lot more in common with each other than, say, Dali and Azax.

Nobody would dream of playing Tiesto on the main stage at a psy party, so why is Dali or recent Infected acceptable?

^Nice. :D
recent Infected acceptable

Hey, I gotta say I still love Infected. More ravey though. AZAX SYNDROM ftw...

Quageschi said:
I checked out scorb's new release and I have to say I am kind of on the fence about it. I like it and have been listening to it quite a bit, but there is something about it that just bothers me. I generally don't listen to stuff this dark, but I kinda like the darkness of it at the same time. I kind of feel like the tracks are too drawn out or that it is under sampled, but that doesn't seem to be it either. Anyone else feel like this about it?

Also it kind of reminded me of Ace Ventura's Rebirth, which is one of my all time favorites.

i like most of the new scorb album, even the dnb track is good! Its dark, but not "evil". He's really good to see live if you get the chnace.

So what's the difference between non-psychedelic psy trance and vanilla trance? I think they have a lot more in common with each other than, say, Dali and Azax.

Nobody would dream of playing Tiesto on the main stage at a psy party, so why is Dali or recent Infected acceptable?

I've never heard of Azax, but I still think I know what you're getting at.

I honestly don't think there is non-psycahdelic psy trance. I think it's all psycahdelic in its own way. It may not be generically psychadelic as I've said before, but it is certainly different in sound from "vanilla" trance.

I'm not a music producer so I can't name the specific instruments but the melodies, bassline and production of psy are distinctly different to normal trance.

Dali still sounds like psy to me. I don't love it, but I don't hate it and that sort of cheese is just what I need sometimes (albeit her album hasn't been on rotation for awhile).

Having said that, Wizzy Noise is quite psychadelic IMO and is comparable in production to your standard trance anthems. The builds are more, for lack of a better word, trancey.

It all still comes down to what we prefer to hear and basically gives us a subjective view of what we listen to.

I try to keep a unprejudiced and open minded attitude when listening to music, trying not to genre bash or become an annoying train spotter (which I tend to be guilty of sometimes). It's fair enough if you feel strongly about a particular genre but essentially my arguements here are against that sort of attitude because I think it just creates general animosity amongst music listeners and discourages people from posting their tastes because they feel ostrasized by more aggressive listeners.

swilow said:
^Nice. :D

Hey, I gotta say I still love Infected. More ravey though. AZAX SYNDROM ftw...

IM blows me away everytime I see them. I've never missed an Ozzie gig they've had. I love them with no reservations. There is no other psy act that I've expereinced (barring maybe Son Kite) that stimulates the crowd in such a intense and electrifying way.

I have such a large emotional response when I listen to their music. There is so much bashing of them, I'm starting to think that people just do it because it's the "cool" thing to do and they are secretly scared to admit that they actually do rock :)

Infected used to rock. They now think they rawk. They're coked up and deluded and in no way do they make PSYCHEDELIC music...while their current tunes (and Dali's and Psynina's etc) may fall intro the genre of psytrance, it doesn't necessarily mean that the music they produce (or have produced for them, in Dali's case) is psychedelic in any way, shape or form.

Each to their own though, if you have as much fun seeing a recent Infected Mushroom show as I did seeing Kindzadza live, then good for you. As long as we're all happy at the end of the day! :)

Each to their own though, if you have as much fun seeing a recent Infected Mushroom show as I did seeing Kindzadza live, then good for you. As long as we're all happy at the end of the day!

Rezpect. :D

A nice site I found today on a dj forum. www.ektoplazm.com has free legal psytrance albums available for download as mp3 or wav.

I don't mean for this to come across as spam... just trying to spread the word, and keep it free

Status
Not open for further replies.