3056-salvia-divinorum.jpg

mFbHLg2.jpg

PREVIOUS THREAD
FIRST PAGE - LAST PAGE

mFbHLg2.jpg

External Information Links:

Daniel J Sieberts Homepage- Discoverer of Salvinorin Compounds

mFbHLg2.jpg

Salvia and the conveyor belt thread- thread discussing visual effect of salvia ingestion. (LOL notice the conveyor belt ^^)

Subthreads:

[Original post:]

NSFW:

The Leaves of the Virgin
by Temicxoch
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAVEAT LECTOR
Let not the printed word enslave you.
Think for yourself before you act on the thoughts of others.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The author hereby finds the doctrines of intellectual property to be so patently absurd that laughter peals from every orifice of his body.
Please, copy rightfully. All Fool's Day, 1995.
In the autumn of 1962, in the rural hills of Oaxaca, Mexico, Albert Hofmann, the discoverer of the entheogenic effects of lysergic acid diethylamide, and R. Gordon Wasson, the father of ethnomycology, traveled by mule in search of one of the flowery dreams of this subtropical landscape. The object of their expedition was a specimen of the Mint Family (Lamiaceae/Labiatae) used by Mazatec curanderas to summon healing visions. From the plants collected by Hofmann and Wasson, Linnaean taxonomists deemed this species theretofore unidentified and christened this plant-teacher Salvia divinorum, the Sage of the Diviners. To the Mazatec, it was known as Ska Maria Pastora, the Leaves of the Virgin Shepherdess.
Thirty-two years later, during October of 1994, five clones of the plants gathered by these two great explorers came into my possession. By providing these specimens with high humidity, indirect light, and adequate nitrogen fertilizers, I soon had a robust collection of these plants to provide me with an ample supply of leaves with which to explore its teachings.
As an entheogenic connoisseur, I had long been intrigued by what I had read concerning Ska Maria Pastora. From my first knowledge of the plant (gained when I was fifteen years old from a little book by Richard Evans Schultes), I found myself desiring its teachings. For a decade and a half thereafter, I casually sought more information about the species. The works of Leander J. Valdes III have been invaluable in my education. Valdes has done a remarkable job of pursuing the chemical, pharmacological, and cultural facets of this plant-teacher. Without the guidance provided in his writings, I would probably have never encountered this remarkable entheogen.
About the same time I acquired my specimens of the plant, Daniel J. Siebert published some remarkable findings in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology concerning the psychoactivity of Ska Maria Pastora's entheogenic molecule, salvinorin A. When smoked, this compound is active in doses of 200 to 500 micrograms, making it the most potent naturally occurring phantasticant known, comparable to lysergic acid diethylamide in strength.
If vaporized and inhaled, full effects are felt in thirty seconds without a transition period into the experience. The most intense effects last five to ten minutes and then gradually lessen over the next twenty to thirty minutes. The experience can include a sense of metamorphosing into inanimate objects, seeing two dimensional geometric patterns, remembrance of things past, loss of physical and mental identity, sensations of extraordinary motion, uncontrollable laughter, and simultaneous existence in different times and places. With dosages above one milligram, out of the body experiences occurred frequently. Siebert's subjects who were experienced users of entheogens all agreed that the forces of Ska Maria Pastora were fundamentally without parallel.
I began my explorations of this plant's powers before I had become acquainted with Siebert's research. I first experienced this entheogen by administering it in one of the traditional Mazatec ways: I chewed on a quid of fifteen leaves. Lying in the darkness, I felt light-headed, cool in my extremities, and giddy, all lasting less than an hour. The leaves were profoundly bitter, and some attendant nausea colored the encounter.
My next few meetings with the plant-teacher were through smoking some of the dried leaves. Smoking intensified the experience, and a strange other-worldliness hovered about my thoughts for close to twenty minutes. Time seemed disjointed, its passage perceptibly notable even in its most infinitesimal increments. All in all, my curiosity had been more than piqued; indeed, it had been goaded.
After reading some Usenet posts alluding to the chloroform extract of Ska Maria Pastora (and still before I was familiar with the research of Siebert), I decided to experiment with preparing a snuff from the plant. Taking thirty-three leaves, I chopped them finely and soaked them in 100 ml of acetone for four hours. Decanting off 80 ml of a brilliant emerald liquid, I evaporated the solvent mixture a tablespoon at a time on a Pyrex plate over a steam bath. I then scraped the residue from the plate using a razor blade and was left with two substantial lines to take as a snuff. Retiring to my chambers, I used a straw to inhale a line into each nostril and deep into my nasal mucosa.
Immediately, I suffered an extreme burning sensation in my nose and throat, and my eyes watered profusely. Within a minute, the discomfort had totally passed. For another minute, I rested quietly in my well-lit room. Then, I grew light-headed and broke into a clammy sweat. I felt both warm and cool. The colors about me intensified in their depth and brilliance. I was enveloped by the peculiar perception of micropsia, wherein I felt to be physically smaller than I actually am. The sensation of conflicting body temperatures became so extreme that I disrobed in one instant and wrapped myself in a quilt the next. Four minutes had passed.
And then, quite simply yet quite extraordinarily, my doors of perception were wrenched from their hinges.
I sat on the floor of my bedroom. I stood in my bathroom and looked at my distorted face in the mirror. I felt extremely cool in my limbs and climbed under the blankets on my bed. I found the light to my disliking and turned it off. Mundane occurrences all, except for the fact that I carried them out simultaneously. I perceived my existence as phase space. The envelope of the present was extended to where I glimpsed that what are normally seen as sequential actions occurred all at once in the here and now. Time was not a cycle or a wave or a line. Time, all of it, was a point, a singularity.
I had a sense of sleep-walking. The experience was somewhat similar to the hypnagogic state, that space between wakefulness and sleep when the surreal swarms the mind. An uncertainty of the reality of my situation pervaded my thoughts. I was uncertain if my recent actions had occurred or not, and I felt as if I might be compulsively repeating them. The effect was not unlike my sole experience with the Panther Amanita. With Ska Maria Pastora, as with that mushroom, I could not tell if what I was doing had happened, was happening, or was going to happen. My mental milieu mirrored the state of anterograde amnesia (a dissociative phenomena wherein there is a loss of memory of events as they are experienced, with the individual forgetting continuously from moment to moment what she has just been thinking, feeling, and doing).
Lying on my bed in the darkness, I closed my eyes and lost all sense of my physical self. I roared through a void. I was surrounded by a space of myriad expanse, yet there was nothing there. I was exploding in all directions at once, expanding, twisting outward, yet there was nothing through which to be moving. I flew, I floated, I flourished. The dark matter which filled me and which I encompassed sang with energy. Just as the abyss about me had a form, so its silence was an ecstatic polyphony. My senses rang with delight.
And while all of the preceding transpired, the long arm on my clock had swept but a third of its way around the wheel of an hour.
Over the next sixty minutes, I gradually returned to the homeostasis of waking consciousness. In addition to still feeling light-headed and retaining peculiar temperature sensations in my extremities, my pulse rate was a strong, steady 60 beats a minute, leading me to believe that salvinorin A is a potentiator of vasodilation, perhaps of the sympatholytic variety. Siebert's study found on the basis of one particular type of receptor site screening that salvinorin A is not a significant inhibitor of neurotransmitter binding sites. This conclusion is not particularly surprising considering the infinitesimal weight of a dose necessary to initiate the substance's powers. Coupled with this entheogen's short duration of action and its powerful effects on emotion, memory, and time, my informed intuition leads me to believe that the drug initiates some sort of cascade reaction in the hippocampal and amygdalar regions of the brain (particularly in snuff form, where a neural pathway exists between the olfactory bulb and the limbic system). From here, the cascade could very well proceed along fiber tracts running through the cerebral cortex of the frontal lobe.
Indeed, based on salvinorin A's molecular similarities to forskolin (a vasodilator originally extracted from a coleus plant, also in the Mint Family, and which acts on the release of adenylate cyclase) and on my experience's similarity to my encounter with the Panther Amanita, I would say that Ska Maria Pastora could easily tap into those channels of the mind where adenylate cyclase acts to potentiate the release of acetylcholine. Of course, this is all wild conjecture. However, no matter what the neurophysiology involved, all thought is flesh.
I look forward to preparing a smokeable extract of this plant-teacher. This entheogen has opened new vistas for me that I had not yet encountered in my fifteen years of psychonautic voyaging. I have found this to be a plant with which not to trifle. I do not foresee this as becoming a "recreational drug," or, to use Jonathan Ott's much preferable term, a ludibund drug. Its effects are too drastic for it to lend itself to casual social situations. However, I do look for it to become a tool for the entheogenic exploration of consciousness among those who feel that such endeavours are worthwhile. Until the political repression of psychognizance through entheogen use is overcome, we must continue to practice our alchemies and seek out new plant-teachers. And by spreading word of what we have learned, we will hopefully raise the consciousness of those who stand against us.
http://diseyes.lycaeum.org/fresh/virgin.htm

While it certainly makes interesting reading, it also sounds like a good way to have our very first salvinorin OD.

Holy be-jesus!
*adds snorting salvia to his list of things not to do... yet.mwaha.*
And remember kids. Snorting raw plant material is bad. This is a pubic service announcement. Your pubic area has been serviced.
Shii

Last edited by a moderator:
yea salvia is weird that way. small amounts, for me, induce crazy visuals. more, give me delusions and pschedelic thoughts. even more still brings less visuals and more dissociation and 'melding' into whatever im touching.

Im very curious as to its effects combined with 2ci, 2ct2, and 4acoDIPT. edit: Jesus no, not all three at the same time

and a question, how is the trip effected by benzos (which i plan to take as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
salvia extraction

i dunno if this is a stupid question but can i use lighter fluid instead of acetone?

I am a nothing in a void but there is and entity here watching me. I think the entity might be my own awareness but it feels so much like another being.
I must be insane.
musings from Salvialand.

ah, but bear in mind that true delusion can only occur when one has No Doubt of the senario. (hence truly believing that one's perception and perceptive abilities are flawless allows the possibility for you to believe and therefor be 'tricked' by the perception which you held as flawless)

therefor, questioning one's own sanity is the first step to avoiding 'true deluions'...

(buddhists say that the self is the foundation of delusion...the illusion of self is the core of delusional considerations)

*destroy the preconceptions....question sanity..! * =D

^No Illusion of Self is a psytrance artist from aus known as Jimbo Jones who is apparently a Raelian....:D

I think questioning whetehr things are "real"n in whathever sense you define that word (I've come to increasingly feel its a very personal and almost inexpressible thingm really) is a very healthy way to stay awake. It feels like the world is asleep. Then again, the reverse could be true.... Damn, salvia philosophy is almost as elliptical and bizarre as the drug....;) My nfirst breakthrough (which I posted about in Trip Reports not too long ago) had me questioning absolutely everything I thought was real for years; luckily, the anxiety associated with that has calmed down to an extent, but the questioning certainy hasn't.

ok so i wanted to post my experience with salvia just bc i don't really have anyone to share it with who has also experienced it...so here it goes
so i was in a1 smoke shop buying a bong and saw some 40X salvia extract. it was really expensive but what the heck (curiousity killed the cat?) anyway, so i bought it, along with a bong, got home packed some bud and then piled some extract on (i didn't really research first). anyway, nothing really happened besides i felt like i was underwater. eh. so i waited a week, tried it again and that time i was with my sister and we just could not stop laughing. it was kinda pathetic. i couldn't control myself :p anyways, i decided WTF i need to research why this isnt working. then i noticed people either said it was lame or that it shouldn't be underestimated. then i read up on the different stages, how exactly to go about using it, and how to set up my room for the experience. now, i decided against a sitter, and last night i put a tiny amount of bud as a bed underneath A LOT of the extract i had left over. i took about idk 4 or 5 big rips off my bong and got really light headed all of a sudden. i got up and attemped to put my bong back in my closet (so i don't knock it over and such) and i swear it's hard to explain it all in detail now, but i stood up and my body separated into hundreds of my bodies...almost like a grid or web of my bodies and they were all looking at me with different expressions. i thought i may have been screaming. i decided to just lie down on the carpet and it was like hundreds of tiny danielles just making carpet angels (instead of snow angels) on the carpet. idk i was so out there. didn't really notice any female entity like some people said..that, i think, only lasted for 10 minutes and then i just heard voices and sirens and colors and shapes were everywhere.
ANYWAY that was a long ass post. hopefully someone found it interesting...i'd like to hear what other people experienced..should i try it again?? maybe more??? anyone have some advice?? i was very blown away by the vision of me pulling apart into hundreds of myself, if that makes sense...it was all i could see. and i've done ecstasy, coke, shrooms, this was WAY nothing like that. thoughts??? thx

scubagirl, nice report. The shattering of yourself into many smaller versions could be a version of the "layers" many people experience with salvia. Like you, I have NOT contacted a female persona, and the few times I have had a "presence" there in salvia space with me, it was more like a suggestion, a glow, and was always either neutral or friendly.

A friend on mine, his first trip, said he was in a world of never ending squares within themselves, nested one to the other like when you point a video camera at a tv, with the output showing on the same tv, it creates an ever smaller version of it's view within it's own confines, getting smaller and smaller. He thought this was The World, with no real beginning and no end. Another friend thought his life was layers of skin on his father's hand....he felt he was being peeled off, layer by layer, as his life went on...

Anyways, nice read, treat salvia respectfully, and it will reward you with some deep sessions. The more you use it, the better you learn HOW to use it. When I first started, I was resistant, and didn't break through the first 3-4 times....once I learned how, it was like being blasted by a nuclear bomb %) I use 1/12 to 1/15 gram of 20x now, it gets me there, every time. And I typically will redose 2-3 times in an hour or two period. Then I really won't use it again for several weeks, until I feel the pull to it again.

Salvia and DMT

The salvia vs. DMT thread got me thinking about the differences between the two, but my thoughts drifted outside of where that thread seemed to be leading...

For all their alienness and tangential peculiarities the far-flung vortexes of DMT always seem to funnel down into the double helix. There is a human connection in the experience; though vast, its cosmology is anthropocentric. Appealing to my own experiences and the writings of others, loose but meaningful threads can usually be pulled from DMT trip reports. Some personal truth is revealed or some spiritual wisdom imparted; the user is filled with compassion or charged with a new passion for life.

In my experience salvia has no such connection. It reveals half-formed worlds that were hurled like foam from the tidal crashes of the first creation into the hinterlands of some forgotten landscape of (im)possible experience. It serves no didactic function nor does it illuminate the dark corners of my psychology. Its only human-connected virtue is its ability to inspire awe and remind me of the true scope of consciousness, to show me firsthand that whole lives can be lived without so much as brushing the familiarity of my lived experience.

Though DMT is more likely to impact our lives in beneficial ways, in some transcendent way I think salvia is superior. It’s superior in that, at least at this point in time and human experience, it isn’t just expanding our individual consciousness’, it is forming substantially unique experiences that have NEVER been lived through in the entire known course of human consciousness. It is expanding the objective consciousness. Yes the Mazatecs used it for quite a while, but they used 1X. Powerful extracts are a relatively novel product producing novel experiences. The probability that you are living something never before experienced, something genuinely unique to not just your life but to the universal phenomenal realm of experience qua experience, during a salvia trip--particularly if you’re combining it with some of the newer synthetic psychedelics--is higher than during any other event in life that I can imagine. The explorer’s obligation to use and know salvia is set foremost by this transcendent ideal.

Last edited:
squerll said:
I am a nothing in a void but there is and entity here watching me. I think the entity might be my own awareness but it feels so much like another being.
I must be insane.
musings from Salvialand.

Exactly how it makes me feel.

- - -

Very nice post psood0nym, I enjoyed that quite a bit!

psood0nym said:
Though DMT is more likely to impact our lives in beneficial ways, in some transcendent way I think salvia is superior. It’s superior in that, at least at this point in time and human experience, it isn’t just expanding our individual consciousness’, it is forming substantially unique experiences that have NEVER been lived through in the entire known course of human consciousness. It is expanding the objective consciousness. Yes the Mazatecs used it for quite a while, but they used 1X. Powerful extracts are a relatively novel product producing novel experiences. The probability that you are living something never before experienced, something genuinely unique to not just your life but to the universal phenomenal realm of experience qua experience, during a salvia trip--particularly if you’re combining it with some of the newer synthetic psychedelics--is higher than during any other event in life that I can imagine. The explorer’s obligation to use and know salvia is set foremost by this transcendent ideal.

Nice insight. Reading this gave me a stronger desire to experience Salvia again.

I've tried the 20x salvia on 3 different occasions, and each of them only left me with a slight "altered" feeling, hilarity at not much of anything, and a very slight sense of a gravitational pull in one direction. This lasted 5-10 though and was nowhere near the crazy stories I hear of people breaking through. So, do I have a natural high tolerance to the stuff or did I just not smoke it right? I tried it with a wooden tobacco pipe, an apple pipe, and a homemade glass pipe. With the last of those I used a big torch lighter, the other times just a regular old bic.

From the salvia vs. DMT thread:
frasierdog said:
also what's with recurring themes and stuff in psychedelics, like wheels, rollercoasters, zippers, multiple dimensions etc etc. I'm real interested in this stuff, but it's nearly impossible to find any information above speculation about these themes. But I also suppose where we're going, we don't need facts.
This really fascinates me too. The last discussion of this kind of thing I know of was in regards to "the ferris wheel" in the salvia thread. While it is just speculation--and will likely forever remain so--there are some parallels between these reoccurring themes and objects. In my experience the "roller coaster" is replaced with "fluctuating gravity," the "ferris wheel" is replaced with a "saw blade," and the "zipper" is replaced with "ripping fabric."

In many cases I think that our brains simply pick out the closest association we have in memory for whatever salvinorin A is doing to our sense of equilibrium and proprioception i.e. a roller coaster, similar to how the wind through an open window during sleep might translate into a dream of riding a motorcycle. Cyclical processes and infinite repetition seem to be major themes, as do cogs on wheels, saw teeth and zipper teeth. I imagine the "ferris wheel" could simply be the natural correlate to the overarching theme of cyclical processes and repetition fused with the amusement park associations most of us have with fluctuating gravity effects. I think the shared themes of different user's salvia experiences are entirely the production of unique simple sensations and concepts artificially evoked by salvia being explained and wildly elaborated on by our VERY confused brains through reference to memories healthy teenage and young adult western males (the bulk of salvia users and report writers) and friends all share. That's not to say the individual experiences are not utterly unique, but I certainly don't feel, as some do, that the themes are any indication of a shared glimpse into an objectively existing metaphysical realm, universal consciousness, telepathy etc.

My first intense experience with salvia turned the world into legos. Ever since, my salvia experiences have been characterized by lego-like visions and feelings of being deconstructed brick by brick. Very interesting.

psychedelicious said:
My first intense experience with salvia turned the world into legos. Ever since, my salvia experiences have been characterized by lego-like visions and feelings of being deconstructed brick by brick. Very interesting.
My experience with tincture involved "both". My "world" (eyes open) started to disappear as a lego-like other reality was constructing from my right . I suppose by definition my world to my left was deconstructing accordingly :\ . The new reality seemed to be building itself from the right-hand side and my usual world was disappearing. It was quite something "watching" my usual reality being replaced. It wasn't as if my usual world was being overlaid, or as if I was seeing beneath it. It was a sort of "replacement". Very weird. Just like all of the rest of the Salvia stuff =D . But oh-so fascinating and wonderful. And terrifying and strange and and and and and and and ................ well you all know =D

frasierdog said:
what's with recurring themes and stuff in psychedelics, like wheels, rollercoasters, zippers, multiple dimensions etc etc. I'm real interested in this stuff, but it's nearly impossible to find any information above speculation about these themes. But I also suppose where we're going, we don't need facts.

I think the themes are labels peoples minds put on an incomprehensible experience. For me before a Salvia breakthrough reality as I know it turns into a moving pattern with a gravitational pull. In this situation my mind picks up thing like shapes and colors as it is happing and deep down they will remind me of something like a red Ferris wheel or a blue roller costar and then that association will imprint on the patterns and the reality turns to that.
I think most of the trip reports we read come from westerners in a industrial society so things that people would associate with a moving pattern are conveyer belts, trains, ect. I think people form the jungle or a place with no machines the pattern would probably turn to things from their culture and surrounds like a heard of stampeding cattle or patterns in a flowing river ect.
Salvia has always been so wild for me always different patterns, as I would come out of the experience I would try to figure out what caused the patterns and what they were made of and it would seem like a combination of little things like a small noise going on airplane flying overhead, the wind, a car driving by. Something in my vision the way the sun shined in the room, a lamp, a crack in the door, color on a picture.
And on a deeper level so many subconscious thoughts and mental noises would affect the trip thoughts from that day thoughts from childhood and endless ocean of things from the subconscious. But they would all merge together and crate the experience. Salvia trips for me are just so sensitive one little noise or thing in my vision can affect them in some way.
After the breakthrough of reality it was always another realm a realm in a viod where only simple things exist like basic shapes and colors.

Salvia is wild stuff very worth while but very hard to study. The experience is so fast, complex, freighting and uncomfortable.

I've only broken through once. The first couple times I had a really intense experience I assumed I was breaking through.

These experiences were things like becoming part of the ground, having the mud yell at me, thinking I'm a tree, and having my ego ripped apart by the "layers."

However, one night I was camping with some friends who had never done salvia. I had a nice big bag of 20x; two of my friends wanted to try it. We took turns doing small amounts around the god-like fire. I gradually added more each time, and the experiences gradually got more intense. My buddy couldn't get high, but once I showed him how to hold and inhale correctly he freaked out saying he was watching himself go crazy and has never done it since.

My other buddy laughed ridiculously loud. I mean so fucking loud.

Then, as a last trip, I decided to do a whole fucking lot. Like 5 or 6 times the amount it took me to feel like I was a flame waving in the fire.

So, I hit it. Held it. Blew it out.

Eyes went closed on their own. I did not tell my body to close its eyes; it just did.

I was then in salvia land. No fucking question about it. This was unlike any thing I had ever experienced.

I was in a four dimensional plane; that doesn't make sense now but it was how it was. The planes went every way and direction. The planes consisted of colors swirling into every shape, some of them distinctly resembled mushrooms.

People were on a rainbow-like path pushing strollers toward a door. They told me to follow them through the door; I moved over to the door (did I fly? at this point, my friends have told me I was talking outloud saying "open the door" and waving my arms as though I was diving through water). My friend was trying to fuck with me so he said out loud "no, close the door!"

Back at salvia land, I experienced a hand come out of the direction of my friend and hold the door shut.

I wanted badly to know what was behind the door. I felt as though my friend had intentionally held this door, the door to the meaning of my existence, closed. I remember feeling a terrible feeling against him as I often do get pissed on salvia trips when people talk, make noise or fuck with me at all. I get frustrated and yell. lol.

There was a tunnel to the left of the door; I began to swim through it. I followed this amazing tunnel that led to where I don't know.

I eventually came out into a room with a row of doors stretching on into infinity.

My friends spoke words to me; I did not hear these words. I saw the letters of these words, in rows of infinity, travel past my vision and into these doors.

I don't remember much more than that, but that is enough to keep me wondering: what the hell happened?

orangelicker said:
My friend was trying to fuck with me so he said out loud "no, close the door!"

Back at salvia land, I experienced a hand come out of the direction of my friend and hold the door shut.
All the talk of how our cultures and recent memories influence salvia themes coupled with this example of how the environment one takes salvia in can explicitly order the proceedings of the trip makes me wonder why there aren't more reports of people attempting to guide their trips with pre-recorded narratives on an audio player.

Status
Not open for further replies.