Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Salvia Thread - Second iteration

Status
Not open for further replies.
swilow said:
^Would you consider it euphoric? I've experienced glimpses of euphoria with salvia, but generally its more dark and magickal, if you'll allow me that. I haven't smoked some in a few months or so; the last smoke was quite dysphoric for me; sketychy repetition of mindless vegetation-visuals. I simply felt hammered.
I'm not sure. It was very euphoric at first, uncontrollable laughter and such, but then as I was coming down I got a little freaked out but mainly because I was with like five other people, and it was the first time any of us had done psychedelics, so I could tell they were all watching me and stuff. I'm not even sure if I broke through. It felt like it, and I could feel all this wierd stuff, but it wasn't like the crazy stuff I read about like ego death, forgetting you ever took any drugs, not knowing where you are, etc. It was more like being in several places at once.

5-HT2 said:
Isn't not remembering you've done drugs part and parcel of an OBE? I've never broken through on DMT or 5-MeO-DMT so I have nothing to compare salvia to. Also, I tend to remember most of the peak, although details can be blurry. However, tripping on other psychedelics makes these memories more accessible.

Well I don't know enough about OBE's to really say anything in that regards; but in comparison to large doses of DMT and/or 5-MeO-DMT, the memory of taking a drug may not be present, but it doesn't seem of great concern. Those drugs and their effects feel more like a natural extension of the minds processes to me.

I really don't follow your logic on this. Why would the body need to metabolize salvia, but not the more dangerous and deliriant datura, extremely rapidly?

Hmm, I'm not sure if there actually was any logic involved; I really meant that I think, upon salvinorin hitting the kappa-opioid clefts, the body (I believe) releases its whole cavalcade of stress-hormones; this I believe through experiencing panic attacks etc. whilst sober. This may be different for everyone; but I'm pretty sure that smoking salvia HAS to be accompanied by the bodies natural stress response; ie. fight-or-flight, which for anyone who's been able to observe themselves while in that mode, would know that its very very perceptually weird- add salvia to the mix....or add that mix to salvia.... I haven't really smoked salvia without extreme fear, so I can't say if I'm experiencing a natural bodily reaction or salvinorin-mediated

Perhaps datura, as has been suggested, and the effects of it are not mediated or created by anti-cholinergic effects, but the rebound from inhibition of acetyl-choline. Thus, in a sense its a natural process of resynthesising choline being either interrupted and then rebounding dramtaciall, or just being interrupted, in a simlar way to how MAOi's interrupt monoamine metabolism, a process which gradually reverses. I guess thats why there is a prolonged 'come-down' from deleriants.

You shouldn't ask me questions like this 5ht2 because I can only give really specualtive and possibly ludicrous answers, but I'll try....

I've definitely had strong mutual empathic (telepathic?) experiences with other people (who hadn't taken salvia) while in the midst of a salvia OBE. As for sensing the collective unconscious, it's hard to say if that's what's happening. Perhaps the extreme dissociation experienced under salvia is simply a consequence of the neurobiological actions of the drug, and is not due to any other factor because it seems to be remarkably consistent between users.

Once again, I was simply speculating as psychedelic drugs tend to make one do. I don't even know if I believe in the collective unconcious per se, but I have an inkling that the concept of 'conciousness' is not restrained to matter; a common effect of smoking salvia is feeling like someone else or something else; suggesting that whatever conciousness IS maybe be apparent in all matter. Salvia changes the frequency of our reality-oscillator and suddenly the conciousness of a window is in ours.

Maybe salvia doesn't literally take you to another dimension, but enables you to perceive more dimensions than the 4 you can perceive while sober. That's certainly been my experience. This alone would explain a lot of the mindfuck/dissociation, because your brain is not optimally wired for this, so naturally there would be information overload.

In general, I'm not a big fan of explanations of psychedelic action that posit causal influences of the drugs on anything external to the individual's mind/brain. IMO they alter the function of your mind rather than taking you to a literal, specific place like the collective unconscious or another dimension. What you do with the altered mental function induced by psychedelics is another matter entirely. Essentially what I'm saying is that you can take yourself to a lot of places but it involves more than just getting high on psychedelics.

Well, its seems likely that matter is not transported to other dimesnions, as watching people smoke salvia- they remain in view. But, I also don't think that 'other dimensions' are external anyway; nothing has yet proved that THIS consensus relaity is external, so why would any other type?
IMO they alter the function of your mind rather than taking you to a literal, specific place like the collective unconscious or another dimension
As our mind is what keeps us anchored in this dimension, does it even matter if the effects were 'material' or not? ALL experience is a function of the mind- I think saying things like the 'collective unconcious' or 'another dimension' are more metaphors describing places in our own heads.

If you are PERCEIVING other dimensions through a change in neural functioning, which is essentailly what happens in the day-to-day perception of 'normal reality', then saying you've travelled to another dimension or experienced it doesn't make much difference, I think.

Essentially what I'm saying is that you can take yourself to a lot of places but it involves more than just getting high on psychedelics

Of course. It does seem though, that a high dose of salvia will induce specific effects- I relate the salvia smoking to the effects strangely ;) IME, the salvia headspace- not the utter craziness space- but the calm expanded interior mind reminds me of meditating more then anything; no wait, meditating reminds of salvia. And so on.

Ultimately, salvia just leaves me with a million questions. :)

Would the combination of 2C-E and salvia be a bad idea? I've read a few that were very disturbing, but they all had setting issues that molded the experience.

Salvia 'strains'

I guess they aren't necessarily different strains, but my friend had a few different types of commercialized salvia with varying descriptions. He was wondering which were the 'best'/most potent. Most weren't clear cut and generic looking that he had, but he had a 5x extract and a 5x times standardised extract- what is the difference?

Last edited by a moderator:
yadadad. Needless to say, its from the salvia divinorum plant, and that only grows, afa we know, in specific region of Mexico. Generally, we're all smoking the same clone.

Last edited:
Mergind with salvia thread....

The most profound effect aside from the visuals I get with salvia is the sideways gravity. Or "Invisable Vortexes" that seem to pull me into them. It feels like what I would expect being sucked into a black hole would feel like, stretchy, moving sensations in my limbs as I get pulled into the vortex.

Wierd shit, but I like to have the experience every so often.

I am disappointed that I have never had an experience as wild as a lot of you guys. I've heard voices and had hallucinations, and once I swore I was riding an interstellar space ship, but I want a more intense trip.

Salvia space seems really profound to me. I smoke plain leaves and often just get that feeling and distinct thinking processes of Salvia land. My mind thinks that if I could go deeper I could discover the answer to the universe.

hey guys, i'm wondering how many miligrams of salvia 20X would be good to start with, if i were to hold it under my tongue? i have a .001 scale

Troubleshooting Salvia?

I ordered some 10x extract online. My girlfriend and I decided to give it a try (yes, ignoring advice about having one person stay sober to be a tripsitter).

With one hit held for about 15 seconds, she was off on a crazy out of body psychedelic adventure for 2 minutes or so. With the same dosage for me, I just laughed a lot and felt stoned.

The next night, alone, I popped a Xanax and took 4 hits of Salvia over 15 minutes. Things became a little blurry, but I didn't have any hallucinations.

I'm reluctant to try a bigger dose, both because the smoke is so harsh, and because I'm slightly afraid of everything hitting me at once and going on like a half hour trip.

Any advice as to how to get this working for me?

I've taken 15x and 20x. I never have hallucinations or out-of-body experiences. And i've pretty much mastered the technique for smoking salvia.

Don't worry about dosage all the much. As long as you don't go past 30x and are able to deal with the physical side-effects that happen during the stone/trip/inxotication (Whatever the hell salvia actually does) i'm sure you'll be fine.

EDIT: If it's any relevance i've taken salvia well over 20 times.

Numero uno...you won't trip for 30 minutes...Yes, you will feel the after effects of salvia for upwards to 2 hours in some people. (dry mouth, tingling sensation in extremities, increase in body temp., a sometimes pleasurable body high)

Toss the benzos....sit on a comfortable couch with music in the background...pack up a hard-hitting water piece...most preferred method is a glass bong...use a torch lighter and try to clear the bowl contents in one hit and hold them in...by the time you exhale....you should be meeting the Salvia Gods....ha...for some strange reason, everytime I smoke salvia, I hear a woman's voice...

The first few times I did salvia, it was laughable and a lot like nitrous...Then when I ordered a ton online when I was a youngster...I had what they call a "breakthrough"....I literally vocally yelled at my bong for doing what it had done to me.....fuck...salvia is so intense....i don't enjoy it though..not for me.

PARooolller said:
Numero uno...you won't trip for 30 minutes...Yes, you will feel the after effects of salvia for upwards to 2 hours in some people. (dry mouth, tingling sensation in extremities, increase in body temp., a sometimes pleasurable body high).

From watching a friend actually trip for 45 minutes and a two hour comedown, I would have to disagree.

bickoma said:
From watching a friend actually trip for 45 minutes and a two hour comedown, I would have to disagree.

Well the majority of users don't "trip" for that long...a 45 minute salvia trip would leave me in psychosis8o

Never actually taken salvia (10x extract in the mail tho \o/) but it seems like it's hit or miss for the general population. Just from reading here and some other online resources some people complain about not achieving the powerful results (using up to a gram or in some cases more, iirc) that gained salvia widespread (in certain communities) acclaim while others get such success with as little as a pinch (~0.1 g or less for a rough estimation). I really only remember people giving up who didn't achieve something more than a stoned feeling after their first few attempts or I'd link you to help. You could have a physical tolerance for it (as some people unfortunately have) in which case experimenting with large doses would be safe (relatively). Or you could have a mental tolerance (like most people have when first smoking marijuana) in which case the next dose could be the one you're ready to trip on and going overboard would be too much.

You shouldn't be scared of the effects or that will (possibly) contribute to them being scary! But certainly be cautious. If I were you I would continue to increase the dose by small increments (~10% each time) whilst simultaneously holding the smoke in deeper and longer. And I've heard xanax (amongst other drugs) will help take the edge off anxiety from an intense experience, plus just the placebo will help ease your mind I'd bet. And try using a bong if you aren't already (gravity ftw!) to get a better initial hit of concentrated smoke and make sure to keep the flame on the salvia the whole time.

Again, I've never actually used salvia but have read up a lot over the past month and the above is my personal impression. In a week or two I may be in the same boat as you so be sure to come back with results from what you end up doing!

Last edited:
when I have trouble shooting salvia, I recommend trying subcutaneous testicular injection, it works much better

Hope this helps ;)

^ Pisstakers.

A great deal of the "20x" extract on the market is nowhere near the advertised strength. Get yourself some decent organic standardised 10x and a windproof butane lighter. Use a bong as well, much easier to get the required gigantic lungful without burning your windpipe to bits.

I really only had one useful experience from salvia, the unpleasant nature of the experience far outweighs any benefits to be brought back from it these days I find.

there is only ONE reason why people don't break through on salvia ... improper technique. i've smoked with 15 different people, and once you do it this way i guarantee you will break through.

1) use a bong
2) keep the lighter on the bowl for the entire time you hit
3) take the biggest hit you possibly can, and hold it for as long as you possibly can (you only get one chance, so don't wimp out on the first hit, it's all or nothing)

a lot of people are using small pipes, and they can't handle the harsh smoke. so they take weak hits and blow them out too quickly. if you smoke it gingerly like weed, chances are you won't break through.

try using a butane lighter. i read somewhere about a guy who didnt use a butane lighter and it didnt work but when he used a butane one he was tripping hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.