The Recipe Thread (EADD Version)

^^spring onion or red onion.
some salt and black pepper.
salami or good guality ham.
cherry tomatoes.

what ever is in your fridge or press

done and dusted
polished the whole thing off, was lovely but now i feel a bit sick ha ha

OK, so I haven't sampled these yet. But I was on a Jamaican recipe hunting binge when I discovered it. Never even heard of them before, but methinks they look superb. :D

Gizzada:

Pastry Ingredients:
* 4 cups of flour
* 2 teaspoons of salt
* 3.5 oz butter / margarine
* 2.5 oz shortning
* 1 cup of cold water

Filling Ingredients:
* 2 large coconuts (mature, not jelly coconuts)
* 2 cups of brown sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon of grated nutmeg
* 2 tablespoons of water
* 1/2 tablespoon of butter

Preparation - pastry casing

gizzada-2-medium.jpg
Sieve the flour and salt

gizzada-3-medium.jpg
Cut the butter and shortening in to small pieces, add to the flour along with the cold water.
Work in to the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs

gizzada-4-medium.jpg
Squash the mixture in to a ball, wrap in foil and leave in the fridge for half an hour

gizzada-5-medium.jpg
Whilst the pastry is settling in the fridge, cut out the meat from the coconut and grate it so it is ready to be used in the filling

gizzada-6-medium.jpg
Roll the pastry to a thin layer and cut about 16 circles from it

gizzada-7-medium.jpg
Form a casing from each of the pastry circles by crimping the edge

gizzada-8-medium.jpg
Place the casings on a greased tray and part-bake in the oven (at about 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes)

Preparation - filling

gizzada-9-medium.jpg
Place the grated coconut, sugar, nutmeg and water in a saucepan and cook gently for about 15 minutes.
Add the butter and cook for a further five minutes.

Combining the pastry casing and the filling:

gizzada-10-medium.jpg
Fill each of the shells with the filling and bake for around 15 minutes

gizzada-11-medium.jpg
The gizzadas are now ready to be served!

Yum. :D

They sound really yummy.

p.s. tried key lime pie with the juice and zest of 6 limes and it was really good.

Potato and bean curry.

Scrub and thickly slice some new potatoes (500g).
Top and rinse some green beans (250g).

Heat a tablespoon of butter and 3 tablespoons of vege oil on a high heat.
Add 2-3 whole small green chillis, and about a teaspoon each of garam masala, tumeric, and cumin seeds, as well as one crushed garlic clove. Fry for about 30s-1m.

Throw the potatoes in and stir till coated with the spices.
Add the beans, mix well.
Cover, lower the heat, and cook for about 15m or till the potatoes are done.

Serve with rice, naan etc. Or as a side dish.

Came out really nice, and even though there's no sauce, it's not too dry to eat or anything (I added about half a glass of water when I covered it).

Pumpkin Pie:

pumpkinpie.jpg

Recipe swiped from here.

It was the first recipe I found which didn't insist on using tinned pumpkin (which I've never even seen). So I gave it a go and t'was delish. :)

Mmm... that looks delish, missus. Don't think I've ever had pumpkin pie. Have had pumpkin though and it's like eating mouldy dishrags which kinda put me off the pie option. That does look like a fine pie though.

You can't really taste the pumpkin, and I used a whole one too. =D

I guess it just acts like filler. It tastes kinda like eggnog in pie form. I can't resist all those wintery spices though. It won't be long before I start making the ol' mold wine as well. :D

Mmmm pumpkin pie was a foodstuff I'd always considered as hyped & overrated - then I actually tried some - good stuff !

That Pumpkin Pie pic looks very much like Gypsy Tart which is the finest pie/tart known to man. All of two ingredients + pastry but one of the trickiest pies in all of piedom to produce perfectly. I was so obsessed with it that I even chased up condensed milk manufacturers for the correct ratio of milk to sugar and they did send me it eventually. Lost the bugger though and it was still a nightmare to make. Some serious whisking involved in turning out a proper Gypsy Tart :\

Gotta love the name, huh? =D

Really is delish tho. Essentially condensed milk whisked to a frenzy with brown sugar and baked in a pastry shell. Comes out really light and fluffy like TG's pic above if you get the ratio/whipping bang on. Sickly sweet as it sounds but my golly gosh it tastes good :D

Aye pumpkin pie is pretty sweet & light - almost ( if I recall correctly) reminiscent of cheesecake

Yup. Gypsy Tart is rather reminiscent of cheesecake in texture too. It is sweet as sweet could ever be but you can always titrate the size of slice as required :D

I tend not to titrate slices of cake or tarts - I am all for complete wild abandon in these areas.

Last edited: