Info Bluelighting Tips

^So in other words we're old school haxors on BL ;) Why the hell are smileys enabled then?

I think the problem here is the term "Preview Box" needs to be better defined. UncleStinky thinks that it's the box you are typing in, Alasadairm thinks it is shown after pressing the "preview post" button after "Go Advanced", and Enki figured it all out but didn't clarify unless you happen to have already understood what is going on. So along those lines...

Uncle Stinky. Bluelight does not employ WYSISYG (what you see is what you get) posting. Therefore the code part of your post which you are typing into the text box is not parsed (changed into what it represents) until you actually post it. If you want to see what a post will look like before posting, click on 'go advanced' beside 'post quick reply' to access advanced replying. Within here you will see a button that says "Preview Post" which you can click to see what the post will look like once actually posted. I'd also consider the resulting previewed post the 'preview box'.

Cheers!

Thanks for adding clarity amapola :) Uncle Stinky does our assessment of the situation seem to fit?

Last edited by a moderator:
^So in other words we're old school haxors on BL ;) Why the hell are smileys enabled then?

I think the problem here is the term "Preview Box" needs to be better defined. UncleStinky thinks that it's the box you are typing in, Alasadairm thinks it is shown after pressing the "preview post" button after "Go Advanced", and Enki figured it all out but didn't clarify unless you happen to have already understood what is going on. So along those lines...

Uncle Stinky. Bluelight does not employ WYSISYG (what you see is what you get) posting. Therefore the code part of your post which you are typing into the text box is not parsed (changed into what it represents) until you actually post it. If you want to see what a post will look like before posting, click on 'go advanced' beside 'post quick reply' to access advanced replying. Within here you will see a button that says "Preview Post" which you can click to see what the post will look like once actually posted. I'd also consider the resulting previewed post the 'preview box'.

Cheers!

Many thanks, I am suitably enlightened.

DID YOU KNOW....?

When doing an Advanced Search, you can search through more than one forum at a time by holding the "CTRL" key while clicking on the forums you want to search.

Don't think it's been mentioned...

DID YOU KNOW... That if you scroll allllll the way down, there's a box that looks like this:

2011-04-13_1844.png

If you click on "BB code," it'll give you some codes you can use in your post. Same with clicking on "Smilies." "[IMG]" shows you the proper way to use image tags.

Don't think it's been mentioned...

DID YOU KNOW... That if you scroll allllll the way down, there's a box that looks like this:

2011-04-13_1844.png

If you click on "BB code," it'll give you some codes you can use in your post. Same with clicking on "Smilies." "[IMG]" shows you the proper way to use image tags.

Nice!
I like this one, very useful. :)

If you click on "BB code," it'll give you some codes you can use in your post.

On that note, did you also know that if you use the [yquote] tag instead of the [quote] tag when quoting people (like I just did with you), when somebody else quotes your response, they'll also pick up the original quote made in the body of your post?

You can quote me on that...

Also, did you know that the lazy-ass admins left the colour shading of a [yquote] box the same lilac colour the forum theme used to be pre-2006? :D

I really wish this functionality of the [yquote] tag was implemented as the standard quoting method.

On that note, did you also know that if you use the [yquote] tag instead of the [quote] tag when quoting people (like I just did with you), when somebody else quotes your response, they'll also pick up the original quote made in the body of your post?

Also, did you know that the lazy-ass admins left the colour shading of a [yquote] box the same lilac colour the forum theme used to be pre-2006? :D

I really wish this functionality of the [yquote] tag was implemented as the standard quoting method.

i never knew that but it is rather useful... except i don't think it can show who originally said the quoted quotes?

i never knew that but it is rather useful... except i don't think it can show who originally said the quoted quotes?

Quoted both of you to show that you're right--It doesn't show who originally said the quoted quote. :p Otherwise it's an excellent feature!

How to make a list; A felix/Tommyboy compilation

I didn't see a "how to" on creating a list, so here goes.

I will post a screen shot of what it looks like on my end, before submitting my reply.

• This
  • Is
  • How
  • You
  • Make
  • A
  • List

Since the upgrade, there is an additional way to make a list.

to make a list:

Click on the "go advanced" reply option
type the items
highlight all the items
hit the "bulleted list" or "numbered list" icon

job done.

examples:

• fizzle
  • ocean
  • purplefirefly
  • n3o

1. furries
  2. grandmother
  3. green alien ladies

Last edited:
tommyboy, please feel free to merge, edit and combine those last few posts of ours into a definitive procedure. much easier for people to follow. :)

ithinkthisisreallycool

The thread, or using italics? By the way, I'm not sure if it is mentioned here, but pressing ctrl + I allows you to type italics. I used it when I am just writing a word or two of italics within a sentence. The same goes for bold and underlining. Type ctrl + B for bold, and ctrl + u for underlining.

that was covered in post number 1. :D

DID YOU KNOW...?

that in FIREFOX - as you are typing a message, if you press Ctrl+I it'll magically insert the open & closed italic tags for you to type the italicised words into?

same with Ctrl+B for bold and Ctrl+U for underline.

try it.

I dunno why I only mentioned Firefox though, it works in other browsers too.

even better, if you have already typed the text to be modified, just highlight it and press <ctrl><b> (or whatever) and the tags will be inserted correctly at the beginning and end of the text.

alasdair