Info Bluelighting Tips

Multiquote

Sometimes you need to quote from multiple posts, made by different posters, to get your point across in one reply. This used to be a cumbersome process, but since the upgrade we now have the nifty 'Multiquote' feature which makes it simplicity itself.

Under each post there is a multiquote button:
multiquote_off.gif
. Click on that, and any other posts you'd like to quote in your reply - and you can do this in any order you like, they will show up in the order you click them - and they will change colour like so:
multiquote_on.gif

When you've selected them all, hit the
reply.gif
button at the bottom and you're all set. :)

This feature also works over different threads and even different forums!

^ To add to that, you can multiquote across multiple threads. If you hit the multiquote button, leave the thread, go to another thread and reply then it will give you an option under the reply box to either add the previously selected multiquotes or to discard them.

multiquote.jpg

Also hit the
multiquote_on.gif
once more to turn it back to
multiquote_off.gif
to remove that quote from your reply.

I just found this one like... right now... by accident. Next to where it shows the date that the post was made, theres the little symbol that looks like a piece of paper, if you hover over most of them it says "old" and if you are just reading new posts it says "Unread" so I guess its purpose is to tell you which are the new posts? I never knew what that symbol was for.

^ I'm not sure what you mean, exactly - I don't see any pieces of paper next to the date. Screenshot? :)

aaahhhh... i thought you meant on a forum main page or something. :eek:

so a new post will show this:
post_new.gif

and an old one will show this:
post_old.gif

cool. ;)

Is that one you didnt know? Yay! I win! :D

i hereby challenge alasdair (and everyone else of course, but especially alasdair) to come up with a top tip that i haven't heard of.

i'm looking for the really obscure stuff. the good shit. %)

(no, not anything to do with databases, i mean stuff that the ordinary user can benefit from :|)

Though I dont know how useful it is... :|

do you know...?

how to insert

horizontal lines

into posts?

it's not hugely intuitive, but once you've done it a couple of times it's a piece of piss. it's a great way of separating different sections to make them easier to read.

all you need to do is insert the [hr] and [/hr] tags around a sentence you want to show UNDER the line.

click on the 'quote' button to see how i did the first four at the top. :)
Stolen from HTML! *reports a robbery*

I actually REALLY like the <hr> tag so THANK YOU! %)

Did you know that you can make a citation using the tags [cite]url of your source[/cite]?

It looks like this:

lolwut
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU

You can click on the "source" link and it will take you to the url that you have specified.

:)

Why does no one use this one? This is ingenious! Especially fir citing articles, experiments, studies, etc.

Using the [noparse][/noparse] tags allow you to type BBCODE or smilies without associating it with a smily or BBCODE action. For example,:

:) noparse'd is :)

If you want to make a smiley and have it show up as not a smiley, there's an option called "Disable smilies in text" in "Miscellaneous Options" in "Additional Options".

Last edited:
Why does no one use this one? This is ingenious! Especially fir citing articles, experiments, studies, etc.
The only reason I don't use that is because it is so small. I used it once and got accused of not sourcing my info, so I just reverted back to custom url tags.

The only reason I don't use that is because it is so small. I used it once and got accused of not sourcing my info, so I just reverted back to custom url tags.

*lol*

I'd be like "get your eyes checked!". I'm using it now. I really like the nifty cite tags.

How To Submit A Search Through The URL

You can submit a search to vBulletin with a URL, just like you can with the search form. The basic URL is:
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/search.php?do=process&query=searchword

Where searchword is the word for which you are searching.

Here is a list of the extra search parameters you can add to the URL. When you add a search parameter to the URL you need to add this to the end of the URL:

&variable_name=value

Search field: Search by Key Word

Variable name: titleonly
Values:
0 = Search Entire Posts
1 = Search Titles Only

Search field: Search by User Name

Variable name: searchuser
Values: Enter a username

Variable name: starteronly
Values:
0 = Find Posts by User
1 = Find Threads Started by User

Variable name: exactname
Values:
0 = Partial name
1 = Exact name

Search field: Find Threads with

Variable name: replyless
Values:
0 = At Least
1 = At Most

Variable name: replylimit
Values: Any integer values

Search field: Find Posts from

Variable name: searchdate
Values:
0 = Any Date
lastvisit = Your Last Visit
1 = Yesterday
7 = A Week Ago
14 = 2 Weeks Ago
30 = A Month Ago
90 = 3 Months Ago
180 = 6 Months Ago
365 = A Year Ago

Variable name: beforeafter
Values:
after = and Newer
before = and Older

Search field: Sort Results by

Variable name: sortby
Values:
rank = Relevancy
title = Title
replycount = Number of Replies
views = Number of Views
threadstart = Thread Start Date
lastpost = Last Posting Date
postusername = User Name
forum = Forum

Variable name: order
Values:
descending = in Descending Order
ascending = in Ascending Order

Search field: Show Results as

Variable name: showposts
Values:
0 = Show Results as Threads
1 = Show Results as Posts

Search field: Search in Forum(s)

Variable name: forumchoice[]
Values: Do not include this variable in the URL to search all forums. If you want to search specific forums then you need to add an instance for each forumid. For example:
&forumchoice[]=X&forumchoice[]=Y&forumchoice[]=Z
Where X, Y, and Z are the forumids of the forums in which you want to search.

Variable name: childforums
Values:
0 = Do not search in child forums
1 = Also search in child forums

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?107955-How-To-Submit-A-Search-Through-The-URL

Last edited:
Okay so I browsed through this thread to see if my question has already been answered but I didn't see anything regarding this subject. Help plz.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by User Name Here
Someone adopt me and explain how you can just go to your last post in a thread instead of having to search around for it in order to read only the posts that were made after yours (I worded that horribly). I'm technologically challenged so help would be much appreciated :p

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've always been able to do this at other forums but I can't figure out how to simply go to my last post without looking through the thread and trying to remember which page my last post was on.

Thanks =)

Not sure if this is what you mean but if you go to an index page for a forum and see that a thread is showing as bolded then it will also have a downward pointing arrow accompanying the bold heading, immediately to the left. If you press that arrow then you will immediately be taken to the first unread post in that thread.

Is that what your looking for?

8o I cant believe I didnt know about this before! If you go to the main BL page, not the home page but the other one that lists out all the forums and stuff, if you scroll down to the bottom it has a list of the BLrs whos birthdays it is! Cool! =D

You can customize the "New Posts" link to either include or exclude forums that you want to see.

To exclude the forums that you would not want to see new posts from, type this URL into your browser:

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=

and after the "&exclude=" at the end of the URL you add the numbers of the forums you don't want to see new post from separated by commas if you wish to exclude more than one forum.

To include the forums that you would want to see new posts from, type this URL into your browser:

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/search.php?do=getnew&include=

and after the "&include=" at the end of the URL you add the numbers of the forums you do want to see new post from separated by commas if you wish to include more than one forum.

Examples:
Exclude
New Post from all over bluelight except The Lounge since your last
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=28

Include
New Post from The Lounge and no other forums
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/search.php?do=getnew&include=28

Here is what a URL with multiple forums either included or excluded looks like.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/search.php?do=getnew&include=28,22,70

This URL will find all the new posts from The Lounge (28), Ecstasy Discussion (22), and Cannabis Discussion (70). To exclude these forums and see the rest you simply change the "&include" variable to "&exclude".

You can find the numbers of the forum by either hovering your mouse over the link and checking the target or by copying the link and pasting it in a text document or your browser's address bar.

a3yu4x.gif

If you find yourself typing these search URLs in often you can always add them to a bookmark for your clicking pleasure as well.

DID YOU KNOW...?

that if you click the "User CP" button at the top left of the screen (it's under the Bluelight logo, dummies) it will handily present a list of all the topics that you've previously participated in that have had new replies since your last visit.

It's the first thing I do every time I visit. It's really rather good. :)

No it won't, you have to subscribe to a thread for that