Info Bluelighting Tips

^ that's because it only works for somebody who isn't you...

:)

you need to change "Default Thread Subscription Mode" in "Edit Options" to get this working. you probably have not enabled it yet.

alasdair

Last edited:
for future reference, this is covered in detail with screenshots in post #4

alasdair

invisible mode allows you to browse and post without appearing online or listed as an active user.

tip.jpg

it can be found under options, in the user CP. i figured i would post it since TALLY had a question about it.

here's a quick and easy way to link directly to a specific post on Bluelight (edit: which shows you the post in context in its thread). i just invented this.

1. click on the 'post number' on the top right hand side of the post in question. (e.g. the one at the top of this page is #26.) this will open up that post by itself in a new tab or window.

2. click on the thread title at the top right. this will then take you back to the thread, with that post right at the top.

3. copy the URL from the address bar in your browser. for example:

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?p=5708961#post5708961

4. paste this URL into anything you like. clicking on it will take you directly to that post in the thread.

Last edited:
most people know that this icon:
thread_dot.gif

means that you have replied to this thread. did you know that if you hover over it with your mouse cursor, it will tell you how many replies you have posted in that thread?

alasdair

do you know...?

how to insert

horizontal lines

into posts?

it's not hugely intuitive, but once you've done it a couple of times it's a piece of piss. it's a great way of separating different sections to make them easier to read.

all you need to do is insert the [hr] and [/hr] tags around a sentence you want to show UNDER the line.

click on the 'quote' button to see how i did the first four at the top. :)

this function is accomplished using this code:

[*strike][*/strike] without the asterisks.

If you encode your text with the color function using "f2f0ff" as the value, you will get invisible text:

"like this"

although it won't be totally invisible anymore if you quote it, because the quote background is different from the regular post box background:

"like this"

Also, if you want to find out what VB code someone used to accomplish a certain function, you can quote their post, and you will see the VB code tags in the quote when it is displayed in the reply composition screen. (edit: doh, I didn't see that felix just mentioned this. oh well, here it is again. :) )

Here's a question though. How do you show VB code without having the code activate? To show the strikeout code, I had to put in other characters so that it wouldn't be valid. Anyone know how to do that?

pennywise said:
this function is accomplished using this code:

[*strike][*/strike] without the asterisks.
you can avoid all "that without the asterisks" silliness by surrounding the vb code in 'noparse' tags:

[strike]this is struck out[/strike]

gives this:

this is struck out

(ironically, i have not figured out a way to noparse the noparse tag itself so you'll just have to quote me to see the vb code if you can't work it out.

alasdair

Did you know that you can make a citation using the tags [cite]url of your source[/cite]?

It looks like this:

lolwut
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU

You can click on the "source" link and it will take you to the url that you have specified.

Did you know if you can go to the very bottom left portion of the page there is a scroll down menu. If you Select: "Bluelight v. Interpol" It will revert Bluelight to the trippy colors that were used on April Fools Day 2008?

Trippy True Stuff!

[EDIT: Theme has been disabled for now, hopefully by next April 1st we should have something equally trippy =D hoptis]

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know whether this tip is good enough to make it to the handbook, maybe it's common knowledge, but I only found this out today.

Did you know that clicking the little double headed arrows on the top right corner of the posting box enlarges or shrinks the size of the box?
Click the downwards pointing arrow to expand the box.

t2bu9.jpg

This is saves you the burden of scrolling up and down if your post is too big to fit into the box.

t3uu1.jpg

This trick is really useful in advanced mode for those of you who frequently make very long posts. It can get tedious going back and forth between the preview and the message box because you have to switch from the browser scroller to the message box scroller to manage your editing.

t4bz5.jpg

Keep expanding the box until the message box scroll bar disappears, and enjoy the comfort of navigating using just the browser scroll bar.

t5qk7.jpg

Unfortunately, everytime you click "preview post" the message box returns to its default size, but you can just expand it again. The best way to use this is to do your editing in large swathes with the message box large enough to fit all of the code, going back and forth between the preview and the code using the browser scroll. Once you've made a bunch of edits, click the "preview post" button, read the new edit, and continue editing using the expanded message box.

By the way, thanks for the tips guys, some of them made me orgasm.

(all images hosted by ImageShack)

Last edited:
repliesdm7.png

If you click on the number that is highlighted in orange in the picture above you can see who has replied to that topic and how many times. Kind of useless but you never know.
and additionally, if you click on the 'number of replies' link next to each username, it will present you with a handy list of all posts made by that user in that thread.

i just realised this recently, dunno if it's thanks to the upgrade or not. cool! :)

want to skip directly to the latest unread post in a thread?

just click on the little arrow on the left hand side, highlighted here in yellow:

unreadpostscb7.jpg

[thanks to Damien for the screenshot]

By the way, thanks for the tips guys, some of them made me orgasm.
8o =D

thanks for your contribution.

DID YOU KNOW...?

that you can hide all those signatures us staff are now inflicting on y'all?

click on User CP at the top left of the screen, then select 'Edit Options'.

sigsqb5.gif

you can guess what to do, then click the Save Changes button. %)

(please note that this thread is not for a debate on signatures :|)

the latter. if there are any other threads you'd like to subscribe to, go into the thread and select 'Thread Tools/Subscribe to this Thread' for each one. :)

How to download an entire thread

1. Supplying a title for a post (like this one) is a good way to organise information within a thread.

2. How to download an entire thread.

Under 'Thread Tools' click on 'Show Printable Version'

printable_version.gif

In the top-right, click on 'Show n posts from this thread on one page'.

printable_showall.gif

Then save the page from your browser (File > Save Page) as HTML to your computer.

3. For future reference, here's the link to resend your activation codes.