• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Methadone for a complete newb

antischsm

Bluelighter
My friend who has the same tolerance as me (none) too 10mg of methadone the other day and after 3 hours was feeling like he took 15mg hydro, but then apparently went to bed and woke up at 2am going into convulsions. He ended up shaking, and vommiting the rest of the night and morning and ended up going to see a doctor. I'm wondering what you all think of this, (ie overdose?) and if I was safe to take 5-7.5mg and see how it feels then POSSIBLY movbe up to 10mg.

disclaimer, i know this is a very very low dose for most of you but please just try and put yourself in our shoes.

Thanks!

I have a small tolerance, and 10mg just had me pain free all day, no euphoria. 10mg is a small amount, addicts start at 50-60mg I believe and work up to 100+

I have heard that EXTREME nausea is a very common side effect of the drug, even in lower doses. Would this be helped by Meclizine (Dramamine less drowsy)?

Mysterious said:
I have a small tolerance, and 10mg just had me pain free all day, no euphoria. 10mg is a small amount, addicts start at 50-60mg I believe and work up to 100+

...but for someone with no tolerance 10mg could very well me too much. be safe, -Spaz-

your friend should have cut that in half and started out with 5mg. someone with no tolerance shouldnt start off like that and also, im sorry i tell this to others....research your shit before you do it, know your stuff please. methadone is something you dont fuck around with

be safe
Lady

it was not me, this isn't a case of the stupid "so AFOAF wants to..." it was really my friend. Asd you can see I am doing my research and treating it with the utmost respect. I thinkm I will actually start out at 2.5 mg and wait 3 hours before taking another 2.5 mg. I want to play it extremely safe.

Anyone have suggestions for combating the nausea?

antischsm said:

Just don't take too much and you will be fine. Remember that it takes 1.5 hours for a dose to kick in so you don't redose too quick.

Yeah, that's why I planned on waiting 3 hours. Also, I'm about to drink some pod tea tonight and took 400mg of tagamet before and was wondering if that will have any impact on my Methadone dose in two days?

antischsm said:
it was not me, this isn't a case of the stupid "so AFOAF wants to..." it was really my friend. Asd you can see I am doing my research and treating it with the utmost respect. I thinkm I will actually start out at 2.5 mg and wait 3 hours before taking another 2.5 mg. I want to play it extremely safe.

smoke some weed for the nausea

Please take my advice...methadone isn't for newbs. Seriously...you have no idea how easy it is to die from that stuff if you have no tolerance. I've also heard that the receptor affinity is so high that if you OD, there is nothing they can give you to reverse it. Don't fuck with it.

start low, god knows with methadone you have plenty of time to bump it up to a point where your comfortable...

with no tolerance, i would say start with 5mg... in 3 or 4 hours, if you arent quite where you want to be, bump it up by a few milligrams.... if you start getting nauseous at all, don't do any more... take it slow, its a long lasting drug...

its always best to start slow when dealing with new drugs, especially the variety that can kill you... I did a bit more oxy the first time than is typically recommended for someone with no tolerance... but i started with railing 10mg... 30 minutes later i could feel it, but not quite where i wanted to be so i did another 10mg... 30 minutes later with no nausea or difficulty breathing i did the last 10mg of the OC30...

Its all about finding a safe dosage that your comfortable with...

Methadone pretty much sucks for non-addicts. The side-effects are just too awful. But if you have a tolerance it's pretty nice.

Methadone is a little bit more trickier than other opiates.
While other opiates are relatively safe even in higher doses, methadone can lead to 2 days of horrible vommiting, sickness, unconciousness, and even death.
Start small, and work your way up SLOWLY until you have found an apropriate dose.
You can take too little of a drug and then take more later, but you can never take too much of a drug then untake what you have already taken.

Weird. after only two months of just tramadol, and maybe a month off and on tramadol, putting low dosages of oxycodone (orally) in the middle of that, my doctor gave me 10-20mg methadone to try, and after 20mg had me feeling good, he said I could even try 30mg at once if I wanted to. He wouldnt let me try more than 15mg MS Contin though (time release), or more than 20mg oxycodone, or more than 1 vicodin, or more than 1mg of dillaudid. is all of this a bit weird?

waiting on your expert opinions

Bavanai said:
Methadone pretty much sucks for non-addicts. The side-effects are just too awful. But if you have a tolerance it's pretty nice.
Bingo. I was trying to think of things to say, helpful stuff and all but this pretty much sums up methadone for new comers!

Bavanai said:

Proof of just how subjective this all is. I'd say the opposite. As an 'addict' with a large tolerance, methadone is ok, but nothing compared to heroin and the like.
However, when I was new to opiates, I thought it was the cat's pajamas. That is, if you can get the dose JUST right, you'll get some 'euphoria'. That is, until you compare it to the euphoria of heroin, oxycodone, etc.

You shouldn't be trying to use methadone if you have no opiate tolerance. It's not very recreational(read: low euphoria, lasts too long). Not to mention dosing is tricky, due to its strength and long half-life.

I'd rather use codeine than methadone for a buzz.

Honestly, we all know that "just say NO" doesn't work yet that's what everyone is telling this guy to do ... methadone was the first opiate I ever tried and it was awesome when I didn't have a tolerance, much like chimpo said (cat's pajamas? lol). And be careful smoking weed on opiates, for me - and I can be atypical when it comes to drugs - weed increases the nausea, however I have heard too many people say the opposite. Just be careful.

If you want to be safe dont take methadone, take anything other then that cause if you dont know what your doing its very easy to end up dead on /IE: "10mg didnt get me high so i'm going to take another 10mg" there are so many better and safer drugs out there to use.

Unless overdosing, going into cardiac arrest, having a stroke, alongside complete respiratory depression, seizures, permanent heart damage, and waking up two days later in the ICU from a coma sounds fun to you, then I advice you to leave methadone the fuck alone. I had been taking methadone for around 3 years on and off when this happened to me. It's been three months since that happened, and yet I still have nightmares about methadone.