• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Photography Photography Thread vs. BL Shutterbugs unite!

Son of a bitch.

I procrastinated and didn't pull he trigger on the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 the other day now Adorama is sold out. And I just can't justify $1800 for the Nikon equivalent even though it does have VR. Hmm... I did the wedding today, and the whole time I kept cursing myself for not getting the Sigma during the week. :X

It's a Panasonic DMC-LZ7 with a 6x optical zoom but the zoom doesn't focus well at infinity. Wonder if it can be adjusted at the factory. Instructions don't mention self-focus. It takes great macro shots and can shoot about a half-hour video with sound with a 2GB memory card. 3-hours at less pixals but I only shot one video with it to post on http://www.parisbff.com/people/Raquel666 I'm soo embarassed with the video. I had to go to the library to upload it 'cause I have dialup (never got a good offer with my sattelite TV or current internet provider).

1395559214_71f855ab81_b.jpg

Last edited:
Way to kill the thread, dude.

Anyways, I got a new toy in the mail today... ;)

9854d1.jpg

Wireless flash trigger. Hells yeah. :D Having just shot my third wedding in a dimly lit ball room this past weekend, I can only wonder how much better things would have been if I had it 3 days earlier.

Canon Rebel XT (350D) dslr, kit lens + 50mm 1.4
Pentax K1000 + 4 lenses (wide, 50, & zoom.. not sure which exactly, its me mums camera she passed on to me hehe)
Hasselblad 500c/m with a 80mm lens, mint condition

Film!<3

I'm all about darkroom baby.

Alright, I pulled the trigger, 727 buckaroos down the drain....

My new Sigma 50-150 f2.8 EX DC HSM II will be here tomorrow. I am geekin out, so excited.

Got it from sigma4less.com

Johnny1 said:
For those looking to buy their first D-SLR, there is a very well done review of Canon's new Rebel XSi (aka 450D) at Anandtech. It looks like the best choice for entry-level at present.

Link: http://www.anandtech.com/digitalcameras/showdoc.aspx?i=3304&p=1
wow. that looks like the one for me. maybe in a couple of months when i have the money... cool, cheers! :)

£520 from amazon, with the 18-55 lens. the 'live view' feature must be pretty handy, i didn't realise they could do that with DSLRs?

Raving Loony said:
Panasonic Lumix 5MP FX7 compact camera - Selling

Canon 350D 8MP DSLR Camera & EF-S 18-55mm IS f/3.5-5.6 Lens & vertical grip add on and IR remote remote - Selling
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Canon EF 28-70mm f/2.8 L
Canon EF 100-400mm IS f/4.5-5.6 L
Canon EF 135mm F/2.0 USM L
Canon EF 1.4x Teleconverter
Canon 420EX Flash

58mm UV filter
72mm & 77mm UV filters
72mm Hoya Multicoated Polariser
77mm Hoya Pro1 Polariser

Canon 5D and 17-40mm F/4L (refurbished)
Canon 400mm F/5.6L USM (as new)
Canon 300mm F/2.8L IS USM (second hand) - FARKEN YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!

felix said:
wow. that looks like the one for me. maybe in a couple of months when i have the money... cool, cheers! :)

£520 from amazon, with the 18-55 lens. the 'live view' feature must be pretty handy, i didn't realise they could do that with DSLRs?
About £505 from ebuyer.com, it's where I bought mine from.

http://camerapricebuster.co.uk/ says 7dayshop.com is the cheapest at £499

sweet! how are you getting on with it?

does the 'live view' thing work just like on a normal digital camera?

allroundview.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a new review of this camera from the top review site for digital cameras:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS450D/

The 450D's (aka Rebel XSi's) live view appears to be better for studio work. I think you wouldn't want to use the live view of a DSLR except in specialized situations, anyway. When you look through the viewfinder, as opposed to the LCD screen, you can stabilize the camera with your elbows against your torso, and also by the pressure against your head. In very bright conditions you'll have a fast shutter speed, so the stabilization won't be that important, but indoors or in lower light, it's nice to have the camera braced well. Furthermore, there is a wealth of info inside the viewfinder, and when the camera becomes familiar to you, you can change settings on the fly while shooting just by looking in the viewfinder and pressing the buttons with your fingers without looking away. You also need to see what the camera is focusing on, and the viewfinder is better for this when shooting quickly (such as moving people). But I'm sure the live view comes in handy sometimes, such as (I'm guessing) shooting over a crowd at a parade by holding the camera above your head.

Note that the 450D has a relatively small hand grip. The overall package is very portable for a DSLR, should fit in a nice little case, but if you have big hands it might be too hard to hold. Check it out in the store before buying. :)

Canon has some strange naming schemes. Both with their DSLRs and their point and shoots.

Buncha weirdos. ;)

i finally pulled the trigger on a Nikon D60. thanks BA, Johnny, and everyone else for the help. i'm very happy with the images i've gotten so far, which have also highlighted how much i have to learn about photography. my one bit of advice for anyone who is thinking of buying a camera and considers themselves a smart internet buyer -- beware of "discount" retailers you've never heard of. yes, this is old news for most people. you can read about some of these merchants, who seem especially drawn to selling cameras, and the scams they pull here: http://donwiss.com/pictures/brooklynstores/. no, i did not order from one of these.

Panasonic DMC-LZ7

BA said:
Way to kill the thread, dude.

:p glad I made U ill! :)

Got sand in the gears of the telescoping lens. They warn U not to and say it's NOT covered in the warranty but they fixed it 4 free. . .took about a month. So, I just bought an extended 2 year warranty on the camera for $99.

This is the first pic I took with the self-timer & flash a coupla daze ago. I photoshopped the color etc.

2500113109_2496078804_m.jpg

Next time something breaks I'll have 'em fix the focus in infinity.

I'm looking 4 a good back-up camera under $333, any suggestions? It MUST use 2 AA batteries, like the one I have 'cause on vacation I always end up buying batteries and there's nowhere 2 recharge.

initially had Nikon S4 took some surprisingly good shots for a non dslr, good colours and 10x optical zoom was vgood

my mini camera is a Canon IXUS 60 nice and compact and can pull it out real fast for a quickly vanishing sight/moment, and good for nights out cause it fits in the pocket

the muma though is the Nikin D80 very cool DSLR, though auto mode on it is useless and more input is required on the P and S modes to get optimum shots. Other than its tendancy to overexpose in some light scenarios due to the light metering software its awesome. Might be able to get some firmware update im not sure cause ive read ither complain about it on forums also. But very sharp otherwise.

Congrats on the D60, Banquo! Did you take the Brooklyn bridge photo with it?

GoddessLSD-XTC said:
I'm looking 4 a good back-up camera under $333, any suggestions? It MUST use 2 AA batteries, like the one I have 'cause on vacation I always end up buying batteries and there's nowhere 2 recharge.

I think most Canon Powershots take AA batteries.

Here is the A580 for $119 http://www.adorama.com/ICAA580.html

Your best bang for the buck, and earning BA's stamp of approval, the Canon SX100 IS.
For $215 you get an image stabilized 8 megapixel 10X zoom! http://www.adorama.com/ICASX100ISB.html

Johnny1 said:
Congrats on the D60, Banquo! Did you take the Brooklyn bridge photo with it?
thanks. i used a Pansonic pocket cam for that one. i'm still working through the D60 instruction manual.

Last edited: