• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Photography Photography Thread vs. BL Shutterbugs unite!

I just picked up a 35mm f1.8 and will probably be picking up a 50mm f1.4 within the next few weeks, so I'll probably have some more shit to share in the near future. As much as I love my 50mm f1.8, the focal length prevents me from getting some shots that I'd really like to catch during concerts and the like, hence the reason I grabbed a 35mm, today. The 35 will be far better for at least ONE concert venue that I love (and have always used my 50mm for). I'm pretty damn hard for that 1.4 lens, though. ?

Yo undead!! Long time no see, how is it going my zombie friend?

^ Keep sharing mate, your photography is terrific.

I have never really taken photos in anything but auto. I want to learn how to use my new camera to it's full extent and am gradually learning. The last few times I have taken photos I have used the aperture priority setting and taken a few that I think are good. I haven't read much about ISO, that's the next thing on the list to learn about.

Those pictures are pretty breathtaking. I love em! And thank you for the compliment! If I can offer a piece of advice... this is part of how I learned to use fully manual controls. If you shoot in auto (or any other preset setting, for that matter), look at the file properties of your favorite photos (on your computer). It shows all the specs... focal length, aperture setting, shutter speed, ISO, etc. The next time you shoot, turn your dial to manual and adjust each setting accordingly. After that, you get a good feel for where to set each parameter. Also, I was told by someone who posseses FAR more technical knowledge than I do, that the highest setting you can put your ISO at without getting any digital noise is 400. I always keep that in mind. The highest I ever set my ISO to anymore is about 600. I try not to mess with it as much as shutter speed and aperture.

And HI Neko!!! It's always good to see familiar people! :) Glad you're still around!

Oh yes, never fear, neko is still here. And still addicted to taking pictures.

Heres some recent interesting shots:

11156388_10155443629075487_8413321621197303034_n.jpg

11156228_10155403573785487_8239794503665353598_n.jpg

10409646_10155303027630487_3806472225127704403_n.jpg

Very cool! What do you shoot? You do it more as a hobby or for money? How long have you been into it? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Those are beautiful, btw!

^
Gosh, that pic really does say to me "fresh as a daisy" you have captured it so well, what an eye you have <3

(hey you missus, it'll be a bit different here from eadd (slower) but throw them you're gorgeous Irish charm and wow them over, they'd be daft not to enjoy you!)

Last edited:
^
Gosh, that pic really does say to me "fresh as a daisy" you have captured it so well, what an eye you have <3

(hey you missus, it'll be a bit different here from eadd (slower) but throw them you're gorgeous Irish charm and wow them over, they'd be daft not to enjoy you!)

Thank you so much <3 and oh wow you make me blush too.much hahaha.

Thank you so much <3 and oh wow you make me blush too.much hahaha.

Couple of shots from my last garden. They're really awful in terms of photo quality etc etc...

NSFW:
IMG_0373Medium_zps41abcc15.jpg

I grew those flowers!

DSC00708_zps0c26d6e1.jpg

Lovely laburnum with prayer flags billowing west towards the Emerald Isle :D

Couple of shots from my last garden. They're really awful in terms of photo quality etc etc...

NSFW:
IMG_0373Medium_zps41abcc15.jpg

I grew those flowers!

DSC00708_zps0c26d6e1.jpg

Lovely laburnum with prayer flags billowing west towards the Emerald Isle :D

Lovely photos! I can't wait to see my sunflowers and forget me nots blume. Gardening is so much fun, it's very theraputic. A garden is a must for me!

^ I agree. I once read an article by an older gentleman that was reminiscing about the "punishment" his mother used to mete out to her kids when they were misbehaving or even just complaining about being bored. She made them weed the garden. The man was saying how he would go out resentful and angry and within ten minutes of having his hands in the soil, the scents of the plants, the fresh air and birdsong, not to mention the fascinating critters around the garden, he would be transported into a very clear and peaceful headspace. It took him years to see that this was not ever meant to be a punishment. His mother was very wise because having a relationship with the plants is about the most healing medicine on earth.

tumblr_o2tj7nJ41p1v4b6ogo1_1280.jpg

just got a polaroid camera. went with the spectra because it shoots in wide aspect ratio – though you can’t tell because of the angle of my iphone snap – and because it being a newer model lends to higher-end, cheaper, still working options online. i figure a newer model will make it easier to get quality pictures, as i’m new to it and polaroids are already gritty enough. i'm yet to find a serial number, but the spectra series was introduced in '86.

the camera was cheaper than a single cartridge of film, as polaroid stopped making analogue film and you have to get it from the impossible project now. i’m always in constant fear of art fading away; i hope impossible continues to survive. if i get into it, i’ll expand my collection to include different polaroid cameras and impossible films. if i really like it, i’m gonna find a photo class and build a darkroom in my basement. i use digital for work and am photoshop savvy, but i dislike digital and love the aesthetic of film – be it photography or cinema.

my first two shots are not successes. the one on the right is washed out because i didn’t realize the frog tongue would snap back. i have a replacement frog tongue that doesn’t, but have to wait for this film cartridge to run out before installing it. the second is underexposed because i was overcompensating after seeing how light the first one was.

that’s my little home. i plan on taking the camera downtown with me next week to get some shots of the city during lunch.

Last edited:
i love the aesthetics of old polaroids
never really used one myself but my parents did so some childhood photos, etc
i think for a lot of people they have that family association
which instantly triggers just a lot of feelings from the particular (peculiar?) color balances, etc
very neat

just got a polaroid camera. went with the spectra because it shoots in wide aspect ratio – though you can’t tell because of the angle of my iphone snap – and because it being a newer model lends to higher-end, cheaper, still working options online. i figure a newer model will make it easier to get quality pictures, as i’m new to it and polaroids are already gritty enough. i'm yet to find a serial number, but the spectra series was introduced in '86.

the camera was cheaper than a single cartridge of film, as polaroid stopped making analogue film and you have to get it from the impossible project now. i’m always in constant fear of art fading away; i hope impossible continues to survive. if i get into it, i’ll expand my collection to include different polaroid cameras and impossible films. if i really like it, i’m gonna find a photo class and build a darkroom in my basement. i use digital for work and am photoshop savvy, but i dislike digital and love the aesthetic of film – be it photography or cinema.

my first two shots are not successes. the one on the right is washed out because i didn’t realize the frog tongue would snap back. i have a replacement frog tongue that doesn’t, but have to wait for this film cartridge to run out before installing it. the second is underexposed because i was overcompensating after seeing how light the first one was.

that’s my little home. i plan on taking the camera downtown with me next week to get some shots of the city during lunch.
I honestly cannot wait until you start photographing Daphne.

Polaroids are dope! I'm not sure about the film but 35mm film prints last a nice while. A lot of great art is disappearing every day due to phenomenomena like link rot, on the internet, and just media corruption in general. Digital information is especially easy to ruin and the things we just inherently expect to last forever (e.g. CDs, DVDs) corrupt in as little as ten years. Now that photography is largely digital, professionals need to be aware that the consumer-grade and even optimistically-considered-prosumer NAS solutions are inadequate. It doesn't matter how much redundancy your data pool has if the error correction doesn't scan deep enough to catch the silent errors that can nuke a decade's worth of work. There's no insurance that can cover that sort of loss.

A lot of great art is disappearing every day due to phenomenomena like link rot, on the internet, and just media corruption in general.
i'm obsessed with the transience of art and beauty on many levels.

my understanding is that the impossible project film is not at all archival. i've read that waiting even a couple weeks to scan can result in loss of original color. instant is good therapy for me in several ways, like someone trying to face their phobia. in addition to knowing what i create will soon be gone, being at the mercy of a single, temperamental, un-croppable, un-dodge/burnable exposure is nerve-wracking. with the spectra not being an SLR camera, i can't even frame with certainty.

just received an instax 300 wide in the mail today. and made an offer on a used enlarger and some other darkroom equipment last night.

cool house, the image reminds me of 1960's suburbia
thanks!

Last edited:
are you going to produce b&w prints? i looked into doing the darkroom thing myself, my bathroom counter is too small to hold the trays but it doesn't seem that daunting for a DIY project in general

^yep, B&W. for now.

tumblr_o34vu4QQTE1v4b6ogo1_1280.jpg

$125 and an 1 & ½ hour round trip. from a nice fella on craigslist. stuff is like new, as described. about to trade my pops all the furniture he’s storing in my strange, cement dungeon (soon to be dark-) room for his retired 35mm camera. still need to find some some safelights, developing bag, trays, and some sort of chemical tub because a laundry sink is nearby but unfortunately not in the room. and will need to construct or buy some surfaces to work on. i’m gonna be just like sally mann down there. though probably not developing and enlarging quite the same subject matter.

Last edited: