• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

long lasting benzos vs. short acting benzos

Good Corruption

Bluelighter
most of us know that when it comes to barbiturates...the short acting ones are more preferable...
does this hold true for benzos as well??
are short acting benzos such as xanax and ativan more preferable than long lasting benzos such as valium or klonopin???
also...is there a cross tolerance between benzos and barbs???

i think many people prefer short acting benzos such as xanax because they provide instant help, they hit right on the spot and thats what I like.. i guess many others do too
cant tell you about cross tolerance though

On the contrary, I like K-pins the best because they are long lasting. I DO thuroughly enjoy Xanax and they seem to have the biggest 'punch', but the longer lasting benzos' duration is a plus for me. I guess it depends on what you are after....

Longer acting benzo's are usually a tad bit easier to kick a habit from than the shorter acting ones. But as far as preference I think it's up to the individuals' tastes and reason they are taking the drug.
Also if you are trying to kick a habit of a short-acting benzo like xanax it can help to switch to a longer-acting one so you don't have to pop as many pills and experience as much roller-coaster effect. It makes it a little bit smoother of a transition.

Recently I've started to HATE the comedown from Xanax, it really gets on my nerves like never before. I'm not quite sure why I notice it either. I never did before. So just hand me a couple mg's of Klonopin and I'm happy. That lasts nice and long with a less pronounced comedown!
------------------
"If we could sniff or swallow something that would, for five or six hours each day, abolish our solitude as individuals...and make life in all its aspects seem not only worth living, but divinely beautiful and significant...earth would become paradise."

The short acting bezos are generally thought to be more fun then the longer ones... Klonopin is my personal favorite, moreso then Xanax - others disagree...
------------------
# unzip ; strip ; touch ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ; yes ; umount ; sleep

GC:
are you asking which benzos are preferable for recreation or which are better for bad comedowns/bad panic/bad hair days?
My personal preference for getting wrecked is Valium, but I still like Ativan or Xanax for medicinal use because they don't metabolize into something else that sticks around in your body for days...I've even felt brief "euphoria" from the shorter acting benzos at times.
K-pins would be my third choice.
as for the cross-tolerance question, there shouldn't be any because even though benzos and barbs both work on GABA-a receptors, they work at distinct sites
okay, that diagram doesn't necesarrily disprove the cross-tolerance issure, but it sure looks cool!

I actually feel a lot more groggy the next day after a night of popping ativan than I do if I just take some valium. I almost prefer the valium buzz too, its odd.
Even when I had a tolerance I'd have trouble waking up and remembering the morning if I had taken 4mg of ativan around 8 the night before. I haven't really had the chance to experiment with many other benzos as I am too cheap to bother hunting for them or to pay street prices once I find them.

Of course you must also consider the after-effects.. if you only have, say less then 8 hours to dedicate to sleep, then something like Xanax is a better choice then Valium.. to a benzo virgin, the "hangover" effects may be even longer lasting - more then 24 hours... so until you know how you react, it might be better to stick to the short acting benzos..
And no, there is no cross tollerance between benzos and barbs..
------------------
# unzip ; strip ; touch ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ; yes ; umount ; sleep

any more opinions?
no cross toloerance between benzos and barbs huh...does that mean there would be a nice synergy between the 2??? would 2mg of lorazepam plus 50mg of butalbital have me joyfully stumbling around or am i just asking for respiratory depression???

Good Corruption, I think you listed Klonopins as a long acting benzo but as PhreeX and I agree (the only difference is that they call them intermediates and long acting not short and long. Isn't that like having only medium nad larg?) They are intermediate-acting like Xanax. There is a personal preference there. II injected Xanax once and orally take 3-4 1.mg Klons and like the Klons A LOT MORE!!!!!! Even when I ate the Xanax, all I did was get sleepy. Klons make me walk weird more like a bunch of Fioricet. I like that.
[This message has been edited by samiam (edited 08 September 2001).]