• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

why do i feel so strange while on suboxone?

^Anywhere from 2-6 weeks. Some people find it easier than kicking other opiates. Others have a really hard time with it. The people who taper slowly all the way down to 0.25mg, adjusting to each dose seem to have much milder w/d symptoms and seem to have less prolonged anhedonic symptoms and depression.

As for feeling strange on Suboxone...I couldn't agree more. It just makes me feel mentally foggy, somewhat emotionally numb, and just not normal in a way that's very hard to describe. When I was still getting high, taking Suboxone made me feel odd, whereas other opiates would get me high mood-wise but wouldn't seem to have the same effect. And when my tolerance went up, I felt exactly the same as before I started using oxy if I took just enough oxy to not be in withdrawal...no mental fog at all. The feeling from bupe is kind of like being on an SSRI...you can feel good and not in withdrawal but don't feel totally "normal". My hypothesis is that's this effect is due to kappa antagonism, but I really have no idea. I notice I'm just not as aware of my surroundings and the big picture. My memory is fuzzier. There's just a general cognitive fuzziness, a opiated cloudiness. I just have a lingering sense of feeling like something is missing from my consciousness. I don't mean to imply that it has affected me intellectually though. I did well at uni both before and after Suboxone. My GRE scores (after 2.5 years of Sub) were just as good as my SAT scores (before addiction). This strange feeling has decreased each time I lowered the dose, and when I decreased from 0.5mg to 0.25mg and had mild w/d symptoms, I really felt much more clear-headed. I've read a lot of reports of people saying they just feel "clearer" off Suboxone. I'm curious if anybody else has had this experience. I used to take methadone (not in a program) for 2 months and never felt weird like this.

Great thread, this one really hits home with me. I know for anyone who has this issue with suboxone it can be extremely frustrating, even more so because it seems to be such a miracle drug for others. In my case, I usually take 2mg a day to hold withdrawl symptoms but the general drowsiness, lack of motivation and emotion in general seriously kills me.

I have a theory based on how suboxone generally effects people that I know, and anyone that could give any feedback on it would be great. My girlfriend, loves suboxone, she feels great all through the day and can't figure out why it doesnt do the same for me. 2 other friends, same deal. All 3 of them are all generally quiet, soft-spoken -- not the most outgoing people in the world. My personality/demeanor, as well as my buddy who has the same issue with subs, is the opposite - outgoing, talkative - we both work in Sales. I think alot can be attributed to low testosterone levels, taking alot of that general confidence out of the equation. Anyone else kinda see the same thing?

I wish I knew another way to detox, I just dont have the discipline to taper down offf oxy like others. All I know is I haven't been myself in a long time and I'm really struggling to get myself back.

also, i have been having this ringing sound in my ears the past 3 days. its starting to get very annoying. i have been listening to music w/ my headphones alot, kinda loud but idk if that has anything to do with it. i hope its nothing serious. do u think it could be anything bad?

You have only been on subs for 3 w and you were on H for 2y. It will take some time for your body to adjust to the subs ,and get all the physical and mental withdrwal of th H give it some time ??

Does anyone else get real tired on suboxone? I sleep 12 hrs a day and am still extremely tired once i take my sub, 4mg a day.

Does anyone else get real tired on suboxone? I sleep 12 hrs a day and am still extremely tired once i take my sub, 4mg a day.

You're on too much. I think a lot of people probably are...seems like everyone is started off on at least 8 mg. Lower the dose, you'll get the same opioid-like effect without the sedation.

I have been on Suboxone for 2 years(16mg a day). I also take 1.5 mg of Klonopin, and 100mg Seroquel before I go to bed. I sleep like a rock, take the Suboxone in the morning, and the pins throughout the day. I feel NORMAL as normal can be. I feel lucky i have insurance, and I highly recommend this combo if you are want to lead a "normal life". My work has never been better, and I Love knowing i don't have to deal with the street, it is just too hard and much to unpredictable. I hope to stay on this regimen for as long as I can as I suffer from severe anxiety, Severe lower back pain, and can not fall asleep for nothing. After years of trying this and that, i finally got what works for me. If This helps anyone else, I am grateful I can be of help. I was a user (loser) for over 15 years, and now at almost 40 I love the short life I have been given. Also here in Washington State the Docs are Pretty Cool and really let me decide whats best for me. We are here for a good time, not a long time and I eventually will be off everything when the time is right. I hope this helps anyone who wants to drive rather than be a passenger in a car sliding out of control.

I had a pain killer addiction for five yrs and for the last yr I started suboxone at 16mg a day. I weened down to 4mg a day for a week straight and im completley clean for the past five days now. with the help of immoduim, some xanax and pot but im doing fine and im considering this a new life. suboxone is a trade off from one bad addiction to another. Good luck to you all and fight the good fight on staying clean and being productive members of society god bless

^Anywhere from 2-6 weeks. Some people find it easier than kicking other opiates. Others have a really hard time with it. The people who taper slowly all the way down to 0.25mg, adjusting to each dose seem to have much milder w/d symptoms and seem to have less prolonged anhedonic symptoms and depression.

As for feeling strange on Suboxone...I couldn't agree more. It just makes me feel mentally foggy, somewhat emotionally numb, and just not normal in a way that's very hard to describe. When I was still getting high, taking Suboxone made me feel odd, whereas other opiates would get me high mood-wise but wouldn't seem to have the same effect. And when my tolerance went up, I felt exactly the same as before I started using oxy if I took just enough oxy to not be in withdrawal...no mental fog at all. The feeling from bupe is kind of like being on an SSRI...you can feel good and not in withdrawal but don't feel totally "normal". My hypothesis is that's this effect is due to kappa antagonism, but I really have no idea. I notice I'm just not as aware of my surroundings and the big picture. My memory is fuzzier. There's just a general cognitive fuzziness, a opiated cloudiness. I just have a lingering sense of feeling like something is missing from my consciousness. I don't mean to imply that it has affected me intellectually though. I did well at uni both before and after Suboxone. My GRE scores (after 2.5 years of Sub) were just as good as my SAT scores (before addiction). This strange feeling has decreased each time I lowered the dose, and when I decreased from 0.5mg to 0.25mg and had mild w/d symptoms, I really felt much more clear-headed. I've read a lot of reports of people saying they just feel "clearer" off Suboxone. I'm curious if anybody else has had this experience. I used to take methadone (not in a program) for 2 months and never felt weird like this.

To update my older post...I've been off Suboxone now for 5 weeks and feel a HUGE difference. Suboxone really made me mentally foggy and apathetic, especially after several years using it. My motivation and energy is better than when I was on Suboxone, and I just feel like a mental fog has lifted. I feel a lot better physically too except that I seem to get sore and achy more easily.

Hey, I've never been addicted to any opiates so I have a low tolerance (though I'm basically mildly addicted to bupe), but sometimes when I take bupe, usually when I'm just generally really high, I get really dissociative, hallucinogenic effects. This is especially profound when I'm smoking good weed as well and even more so with alcohol. I really have a feeling that bupe has some relevant NMDA antagonism or anticholinergic activity or something like that, because it's effects are beyond pure opioid dreamlike/trance states.

So yeah, definitely a lot of dissociation. It's a very hallucinogenic drug for me :)

I just took some bupe for withdraws about 1hr ago. I feel like I am looking through a set of eyes behind the ones on the front of my face.

I have been user of ppt for almost 3 yrs. I recently used heavily ppt for 4 days before starting on suboxone. I started suboxone 12 hours later. I did not experience any WD and feel it is helping me tremendously. I have 2nd doc appt tomorrow plus drug test. 1st drug test last week i could not pee because I was in Wd and could not eat or drink anything. I guess they thought I was trying to get out of it lol. I tried like 5 times and drank 15 small cups of tap water and still couldnt pee. That was how dehydrated I was. I was so happy when I finally peed. Anyway my opiate level was 1700. It might be higher tomorrow i dont know. But it is my third day today on bups and I can say I feel in control now whereas before I felt helplessly no control and bound to this aweful tea. I loved the tea. I loved that relaxing feeling when you lay down and your in that twilight state forever. But I hated sleeping too much. I want my life back and I want to feel normal again. So pray for me. I dont have any money because I lost my job and my mom is helping me through this. Thank god my hubby got good job now. I was a nurse so you see where I am coming from. I will be so proud of myself to get through this. I finally have some hope now. Sent last box of poppys unopened back-return to sender on it!!!

trust me that feeling is just the feeling of being constantly stoned without any WD or down time. Any opiate does that if u never wd from it. With heroin its like you get high and then 4 hours later u are in wd and then u dose again and so u go up. But with bupe its not so up and down so u dont feel anything but the one stoned feeling. I know this cuz I have had all sorts of habits to different opiates and often I wouldnt wait til I was in wd before redosing and then I would just feel numb.

I have been user of ppt for almost 3 yrs. I recently used heavily ppt for 4 days before starting on suboxone. I started suboxone 12 hours later. I did not experience any WD and feel it is helping me tremendously. I have 2nd doc appt tomorrow plus drug test. 1st drug test last week i could not pee because I was in Wd and could not eat or drink anything. I guess they thought I was trying to get out of it lol. I tried like 5 times and drank 15 small cups of tap water and still couldnt pee. That was how dehydrated I was. I was so happy when I finally peed. Anyway my opiate level was 1700. It might be higher tomorrow i dont know. But it is my third day today on bups and I can say I feel in control now whereas before I felt helplessly no control and bound to this aweful tea. I loved the tea. I loved that relaxing feeling when you lay down and your in that twilight state forever. But I hated sleeping too much. I want my life back and I want to feel normal again. So pray for me. I dont have any money because I lost my job and my mom is helping me through this. Thank god my hubby got good job now. I was a nurse so you see where I am coming from. I will be so proud of myself to get through this. I finally have some hope now. Sent last box of poppys unopened back-return to sender on it!!!

huh? opiate level 1700? They can only test what opiates are in your system not how much of it... doctors never tell u that though! They are pulling ur leg

Ah man this thread is a godsend just to read!!

It seems I have always felt exactly 50% shitty and weird on sub and 50% ok. The headaches are the worst, and theres also semi headache states where I get pressure in my head and feel like I'm about to get a headache any minute but it never comes. Even the semi headaches make me want to lay down though.

As far as some of the weird comments here like "I feel like I'm looking through a set of eyes behind the ones in my face", I know exactly what you're talking about buddy. Its like a weird detached kind of feeling and I notice lights get really bright at times on sub.

Looking at a friggn 60 watt lightbulb in my room makes me squint on sub.
Also, about the lowering doses to feel better thing. I think if you feel shitty on sub you're just gonna feel shitty no matter what the dose. Sub is a thebaine derivative and not everyone is gonna react to it nicely. What pisses me off is on sub I always seem to be tired, and the only way I don't feel that way is when I up my dose. But just by maintaining on one dose I'm always tired and worn out.

I was on 1-2mg a couple months back, and now I'm on .25-.5mg. The ONLY thing that has changed is the intensity of the headaches, but everything else still feels the same. I always wanna oversleep (untill I don't take it lol) and thats particularly odd because the first couple days always have me feeling energetic.

I do also notice if I up my dose at all, I always get annoying hotflashes just coming down from that higher dose. In order to not get them I can't really go above .25mg. But today I took .5 and had this flush hot feeling in my skin all day, not to mention it makes me burnt out and sooo tired.
I'm realizing after this round 2 of maitaining on subs that this is simply a drug my body doesn't react to well. I have detox meds coming soon enough and than I'm off this crap for good. Just hope that tramadol helps like ziggy said, its extended release but I'll have 20-100mg to get through it with + clonidine, soma and nuerontin. My life is depending on these meds right now I hate this shit.

I was on sub for only 6 months 1st 4mil then 2mil it gave me such a head ach I felt like I was going to have a strok.Anyone feel like that

Many people that complain of headache from Suboxone get switched to Subutex and the problem disappears. From what I have heard some ppl are just sensitive to the naloxone is Suboxone.

peace.
seedless

My .02 (not having read the whole thread) is that because it is a partial agonist it may take a while for your tolerance to accept it as normal

Suboxone makes me feel really badly stimulated and I take opioids for the nod! I was trying subs recreationally and discovered that they felt more like meth than heroin!

Awful drug, really messes me up on a maintenance dose. Just 8mg kept me up all night! I made sure I was in moderate withdrawal when I took it to avoid precipitated withdrawals from my morphine and tramadol use but it really is a horrible drug in my opinion. I shall just keep the bottle for emergencies only.