• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Overdosing on heroin

SpaceBlaster123

Bluelighter
I've heard that deadly doses of just heroin are rare and that most deaths due to overdose happen because heroin is mixed with something else. Is this true?

I know most street heroin is cut with something but let's say for instance I slam a hot shot and there is nobody around to call "911" or anything.

Would I come around after a while and start puking or would I most likely just pass out after the rush and die?

Anybody have any personal stories about IVing deadly doses of heroin?

Not true. Most OD's are a result of injection and receiving product that is a lot higher quality than usual ... in fact some dealers cut their stuff on the excuse that if they didn't people would be dropping dead. But when there's fentanyl in the heroin or something like that with high potency that takes a long time to kick in, yeah, shit happens.

It's completely dependent upon personal chemistry. Tolerance, the precise amount of heroin injected and the user's biology are all factors.

Someone should invent a heroin test kit, like the ecstasy test kits. It would probably save tons of lives if people knew precisely what adulterants were in the heroin. Or they could just legalize it already and make pure heroin available and this whole scenario would be irrelevant.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable can offer you some more info.

Most of the storys I read about ODs the people slam the dope then bam the rush puts them out into OD.

Most heroin deaths are due to IVing product that is stronger than expected, which then causes large respiratory depression and brain death due to lack of oxygen.

When I OD'd it was due to 'topping up' a dose that hadn't hit the sweet spot soon after doing it. Luckily I woke up an unknown amount of time later even though I was by myself, although when I did wake up I'd gone partially blind, completely deaf, had severely restricted movement, could barely stand up, couldn't feel large areas of my body and had developed rabdomyolisis (where cells in your body die and break down, releasing proteins in to the bloodstream that poison you liver). Thankfully these symptoms dissapeared with time (and hospital treatment).

Don't forget the factor z : environment.

Prepare two doses of H for shooting. Bang one in your house, familiar dealer's back room or similar and fine...

On another day, you could find yourself OD'ing on an identical dose just because you slammed the H somewhere you never shot up before. Read the search engine for more on this! Amazing stuff.

It's completely dependent upon personal chemistry. Tolerance, the precise amount of heroin injected and the user's biology are all factors.
Right, but the most important factors are your tolerance, how much you took, and what other drugs you took.

Someone should invent a heroin test kit, like the ecstasy test kits. It would probably save tons of lives if people knew precisely what adulterants were in the heroin. Or they could just legalize it already and make pure heroin available and this whole scenario would be irrelevant.
Most heroin is cut with dilutants, which are inactive. Unless the test kit can give a rough estimation of purity, they wouldn't be of much help. Also, people need to actually use the test kits.
I remember reading that the most common person to OD on heroin is someone who is experienced with the drug, using it for a few years. Those people aren't very likely to be testing out each new batch.

I've been slamming dope since March 06, I OD'ed once in Nov 06, and it only happened once to me. Although I've been with a friend who OD'ed and its some scary shit on the other side( being the person dealing with the unresponsive victim). When I od'ed it was some killer shit, the guy warned us not to do more than 1 dime, I did like 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 and I was cleaning my rig in water.. then about 45 seconds maybe 1 min in BAM I black out and suddenly wake up in a moving ambulance try to get up and have md's hold me down and start putting an oxygen hose in my nose.. it was only by chance that I stopped to pick up my friend who called 911 and saved me on my way home, I'm pretty sure if I had been gready and gone home to use by myself I wouldn't be here and it woulda been a sad fucking thing for my mom to find me the next morning..

Ok so there sorta 2 kinds of OD, what I would call acute, where you go un responsive within like 1-5 min or even seconds of shooting, like happened to me. Then theres passing out say you've been doing dope, popping some benzos and drinking and after an hour or two you pass out, I've done this several times.. Alone and with friends, they claim they checked my pulse and breathing when I came to.. I guess the 2nd kind of od can be fatal, but I'm just saying there is passing out and acute ODing..

These are basicly just opinions I've formed with my 2 years of exp with slamming dope.. I'm sure some people have diffrent opinions and would ntake the assing out more seriously.

I guess if you test each batch like phrozen said, start out small till your sure how potent it is, and only push your limits and do combos with alcohol and benzos with TRUSTED friends around you, your chances of ODing are slim and it seems like most people survive OD's if their with friends who give a fuck enougth to call 911 quick if their not breathing and have no pulse.

omen_owen mk2 said:
Most heroin deaths are due to IVing product that is stronger than expected, which then causes large respiratory depression and brain death due to lack of oxygen.

When I OD'd it was due to 'topping up' a dose that hadn't hit the sweet spot soon after doing it. Luckily I woke up an unknown amount of time later even though I was by myself, although when I did wake up I'd gone partially blind, completely deaf, had severely restricted movement, could barely stand up, couldn't feel large areas of my body and had developed rabdomyolisis (where cells in your body die and break down, releasing proteins in to the bloodstream that poison you liver). Thankfully these symptoms dissapeared with time (and hospital treatment).

That sounds crazy!

GlassAss420 said:
Ok so there sorta 2 kinds of OD, what I would call acute, where you go un responsive within like 1-5 min or even seconds of shooting, like happened to me. Then theres passing out say you've been doing dope, popping some benzos and drinking and after an hour or two you pass out, I've done this several times.. Alone and with friends, they claim they checked my pulse and breathing when I came to.. I guess the 2nd kind of od can be fatal, but I'm just saying there is passing out and acute ODing..

These are basicly just opinions I've formed with my 2 years of exp with slamming dope.. I'm sure some people have diffrent opinions and would ntake the assing out more seriously.

What does the OD feel like, is it just the rush of heroin followed by blacking out?

Does anybody know if heroin overdoses can do permanent damage to the body if you don't die?

SpaceBlaster123 said:
What does the OD feel like, is it just the rush of heroin followed by blacking out?

More or less.

Does anybody know if heroin overdoses can do permanent damage to the body if you don't die?

Not really the heroin per se, but lack of oxygen to the brain due to respiratory depression can definitely cause long term problems.

SpaceBlaster123 said:

Absolutely, it's not the heroin itself but the lack of oxygen that can cause organ and brain failure, and put you in a coma.

SpellmanT7 said:
Don't forget the factor z : environment.

Prepare two doses of H for shooting. Bang one in your house, familiar dealer's back room or similar and fine...

On another day, you could find yourself OD'ing on an identical dose just because you slammed the H somewhere you never shot up before. Read the search engine for more on this! Amazing stuff.

thats bullshit... the heroin doesnt know where you are...

^ No, it's very much a real phenomenon. Tolerance is very much tied to subjective factors. Read up on it.

unless the dope is cut with fent. simply taking a test dose would stop MOST OD's,but most users,well most veterans go for the dose that they will get the best rush and just completely fucked up ....

i saw a friend who had never really OD'd do a shot that he was completely comfortable with ,and even had the dope earlier that week ,and about 1min after the shot ,falls out ,gos into shock ,he did this twice,both times heart racing REALLY fast,both times waking up 15-20 min later

one day i was staying high most of the morning and i awoke from a strong nod and decided i wanted to feel a good strong rush ,so i put what looked like a point and a half on the spoon shot it ,walked in the living room petting the cat and awoke 20min later over the arm of the "love seat" drooling bad ..cat looked worrried!!

that was scary as shit

but like said above you cant in anyway guess how potent a batch is ,some people ALWAYS shoot a point at a time,and most veterans will NOT test the dope first as it will screw up the rush when he DOES go for the a "nod-shot"

even snorting the dope will hinder the rush from shooting IME

whats even worse is dealers who know nothing about the shit cept its "hair-on" ...so when they get a rather strong batch they are unaware and like i said above,most people go for there normal dose that sends them nodding but it ends up sending them to the ER,or to the funeral home

^yea thats true. lol....i wonder who that friend was.. hmm...

ye ai dont know what happened that night, all i remember is pushing the plunger down and feeling that really strong rush/burn of good dope. the shot was the size of the usual ones of the same gear, but for some reason this one shot did me in.

once i pulled the spike out i had the feeling i did too much because the burn was getting more and more intense and it finally started to go down a little bit and i felt really high...

i was semi coherent aparently up untill the moment when i went out, blacked out, whatever it was. the next thing i remember is coming to with all these cops and EMT ppl around.

the one asked me what i had been doing and i told him i was drunk. when they pulled me out of the truck a brand new bag of spikes fell off my lap lol...the cops were there too so they were searchin thru my pockets while im barely standing up and my friend is yelling at the cops to help me. it was quite the scene.

what i didnt know was when the police were called some ppl from this hotel bar came out to see what was going on and from what i was told, some woamn with huge breasts was holding my head on her rack. the strange thing was that my heart rate was ridiculously high and i had tears running down my eyes along with some drool i think. it was like i was in shock or something.

anyone ever heard an OD that sounds like that? high heart rate, coming to after about 10 mins. it was weird because i didnt actually go out untill about 4-5 mins after i did the shot.

luckily the dope was hidden and the cops didnt make too big a dela about it. i think the EMT were about to give me narcan...thank god they didnt.

unless the dope is cut with fent. simply taking a test dose would stop MOST OD's,but most users,well most veterans go for the dose that they will get the best rush and just completely fucked up ....

Ah, the dilemma of not having enough dope and wanting to maximize the high.

(and time, as you have to wait to redose after testing purity)

the second time my friend OD'd i didnt call EMT's ,i simply chec ked his heart rate when he went out,and he went outthe SAME FUCKIN WAY AS THE FIRST TIME,just fell over in my damn lap(was in a small truck)

but like i said i just checked his heart rate wich was VERY HIGH like the first time ,well i kept checking and checking ,his heart rate didnt fall and after about 10-15 min he just came to,both times his eyes were wide open and full of tears,he was REALLY stiff,drooling...but luckily he awoke both times

I had been buying dope from a guy ,and was familiar with the potency of the dope because i had tested it. he got some new shit and i did the exact same sized piece and ended up OD'ing,and ended up having resperatory failure and had to have the EMT's hit me with Narcan.........the extensive drug analysis(blood test) showed nothing but heroin,no fentanyl or any other cut.so ya, most of you are right, OD's are usually due to getting a new batch of dope with a greater potency,and using the same sized "chunk" or "piece" that they are used to and getting a hot load.....be safe guys!! i thought i was a knowlegeable guy and ended up almost dying,and spending a stent in rehab.learn from others mistakes.
-Peace n Love-
-Rye

HYDRO CHRONIC made a very valid point and statement above. I agree whole heartedly. I must admit, however, that I don't take a test dose like I should before "going for the gusto" in a shot. It's definitely not a great technique, or something I'd advise anyone else to do. The one time I've OD'd from IV dope was when I basically tried to off myself by using entirely too much (~900 grams #4 powder in a 1cc rig). Other than that, the other time I OD'd from dope was actually from insuffulation of powder dope #4. I just kept ripping open bags and sniffing them, without thinking about how much I had done or was doing in the little time that had elapsed. I felt like I was having a heart attack, and had my hand ready to hit "send" on my phone with '911' predialed for about 45 minutes. It was scary as hell.

I should really be more careful. It's like PhreeX said once "Do as I say, not as I do" basically. I should practice what I preach, for sure...

canj00feelit? said:
HYDRO CHRONIC made a very valid point and statement above. I agree whole heartedly. I must admit, however, that I don't take a test dose like I should before "going for the gusto" in a shot. It's definitely not a great technique, or something I'd advise anyone else to do. The one time I've OD'd from IV dope was when I basically tried to off myself by using entirely too much (~900 grams #4 powder in a 1cc rig). Other than that, the other time I OD'd from dope was actually from insuffulation of powder dope #4. I just kept ripping open bags and sniffing them, without thinking about how much I had done or was doing in the little time that had elapsed. I felt like I was having a heart attack, and had my hand ready to hit "send" on my phone with '911' predialed for about 45 minutes. It was scary as hell.

I should really be more careful. It's like PhreeX said once "Do as I say, not as I do" basically. I should practice what I preach, for sure...

^wow you got close to two pounds of powder in a one cc syringe? lol...i think you meant 900mgs.

i had a friend who did something similar tho, tried to intentionally OD himself. luckily his dad is a dr and was able to act quickly.

ODing is no fun. neither is that slight OD when you keep going in and out of consciousness.