• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Tour - V Festival Mar/Apr 08 - REVIEWS

im not happy with the clash of presets and smashing pumpkins...

pumpkins win by a mile, i will never ever see them again, but still... MEH!

^ Agreed! The clashes are massively ghey. I'm suddenly reminded how long its been since I've been to a festival :\

There is always going to be a clash at any big festival though. Nothing new really!

I'm taking comfort in the fact that I'll be seeing The Presets at Groovin the Moo on the 3rd of May anyway :D

And maybe again at Splendour come August? You never know your luck :D

i dare say they will do splendour, i hope so anywayz

when it all boils down to it, you always gotta take an international band, that wil probably never tour again over any aussie act, even if they are hot as shit like the presets!!!

Finally got the page loaded and there will be alot of walking from the red and blue stage
fuckers, the way they had it last year was way better.

I ended up buying a ticket to this at the last minute.

Mainly to see Modest Mouse. I thought they rocked. I thought it was a little weird that they played so many tracks from Good News, I would have thought they would either have played more stuff from their latest album, or more stuff from Moon & Antarctica. It was good to seeing the crowd sing a long to Float On.

I managed to catch Smashing Pumpkins as they started playing Tonight Tonight (perfect timing!), and I also managed to walk over to Air just as they started playing Kelly Watch the Stars (also perfect timing). Obviously I'm not a dedicated fan of those two groups, but those tracks in particular are favourites and it was cool that it worked out like that.

I basically dabbled with all of the stages most of the day (for example, I saw Duran Duran open, then saw Smashing Pumpkins, then watched Presets close).

All in all it was a fun day, the crowd seemed friendly and there was almost no pushing and shoving going on compared to plenty of other festivals I've done.

One gripe I had is with the Presets. They don't do much on stage, in my opinion. From where I was standing, it seemed like the drums were mostly backing track. In fact, that's basically what they did, played backing track and sang over the top. The reason I don't complain about Daft Punk being a bit (well, a lot) pre-recorded is because the Daft Punk live set is fucking amazing, and is accompanied by an awesome light show, and it gets the crowd moving. The Presets on the other hand, I dunno, I guess I don't see the big deal with their live shows, since it's neither all that "live" and not much of a "show."

Heard some great music, though like I said, I was there for Modest Mouse basically.

Last edited:
well, another festival down, a few less brain cells to carry...

got there at about just after 2, was walking in while hot hot heat were playing, they sounded alright, and it was good to hear that one song i know, 5 times ouf 100.

went and saw cut copy, who were alright, there was next to no atmosphere when they were on, and it kinda really did kill it.

over to modest mouse, watched from a good distance, but the sound was tops. float on being the highlight!!!

back over to that other stage, i cant remember what it was called, Roslin Murphy was on, who was suprising, really fuckin good... good show, good tunes!!!

then... AIR... i have always protested that i dont think air could be all that tip top live, espically at a festival since their music isnt really something to get you down and moving... they did play a solid set, with some really good tunes, but there was nothing really doing till they played kelly watch the stars and sexy boy to close off their set

saw most of queens, who were fuckin amazing, like they always are... i wish i seen them at a side show

then smashing pumpkins, opening with today, biggest singalong EVER, played all the classics, bullet with butterfly wings, tonight tonight, cherub rock, and of course... 1979 which blew me away, the lightning show going off behind the stage was great to watch from where we were.

it was a good festival, but no where near the best one i have been too.

So. Freaking. Excited.
Two interstate guests and some of my best friends. This will be a weekend to remember! =D

^ You're in for a treat.

Ok I'm taking a stab at the track listing for Modest Mouse's set.

Opened with Bury Me With it.
Closed with Spitting Venom (EPIC).

Other tracks played (ordered by album):

Paper Thin Walls
Tiny Cities Mades Of Ashes (yelling at the crowd ftw )
A Different City
Satin in a Coffin
Bukowski
The View
Float On (crowd involvement ftw)
Education
Fire It Up
We've Got Everything (singing James Mercer's part ftw)
Dashboard

All from memory. :D

^Wow.. if they do a set anything like that, I'm going to be crying tears of ecstacy. I heart them so so much. :)

Thanks for your review, it sounds like I'm in for a perfect day.

Yet another great year overall

Roisin Murphy - Hadn't heard much of their stuff before, but was great to chillax to. Cool blue Hat btw

Jesus & Mary Chain - Fantastic, still going strong

Caught a tiny bit of Air. Should have stayed longer but when and caught up with a friend to watch...

QOTSA - Set list... meh, Managed to get myself into a mini pit.. oh dear

Soooo dissapointed I didn't catch any of Duran Duran but we got right up the front for Smashing Pumpkins and stayed there. Got some fantastic video footage. Great set list. Though he went on a tangent in the middle. Did settle the crowd for a bit though

I loiked this V Festival

It was really really good

Got there just in time to see Modest Mouse kick off and had a great time kicking back on the grass with my assortment of beverages. The I walked down and got into the barrier section for Jesus & Marychain which wasn't hard. Loved JAMC, even though they where looking really old, I just closed my eyes and dug the sounds... loved it

QOTSA where super tight and rocked really darn well. Loved the highlights of Smashing Pumpkins but what the fuck was with that boring arse jam in the middle of the set? That bit was borafill

Rated E said:
One gripe I had is with the Presets. They don't do much on stage, in my opinion. From where I was standing, it seemed like the drums were mostly backing track. In fact, that's basically what they did, played backing track and sang over the top. The reason I don't complain about Daft Punk being a bit (well, a lot) pre-recorded is because the Daft Punk live set is fucking amazing, and is accompanied by an awesome light show, and it gets the crowd moving. The Presets on the other hand, I dunno, I guess I don't see the big deal with their live shows, since it's neither all that "live" and not much of a "show."

Heard some great music, though like I said, I was there for Modest Mouse basically.

Sorry mate but i have to disagree bout the Presets gig, they owned the Gold Coast V festival in my books... Even stole a large chunk of the crowd from the Pumpkins, which wasnt liked by the lead singer lol... The other great spot was the Styvesent ciggy tent, electro goodness =D

I'll be going tomorrow. :)

I'll be wearing a large light gray hoodie / dark gray beanie hat / green cargo pants and I'm a short dude. If any of you guys see me, come and say hi.

queens of the stone age owned. So did the presets.

i like the show grounds, so easy to get to and easy parking. :)

smelt lots of weed. more than a rave.

I heard a bit of cut/copy, they were alright.

First time hearing modest mouse, I did not like them.

Roisin Murphy,... nice tits.

anyone know what that person from 'air' puts in his hair?, couldn't stop staring at it. the one on the keyboards.

Last edited:
taita said:
Sorry mate but i have to disagree bout the Presets gig, they owned the Gold Coast V festival in my books... Even stole a large chunk of the crowd from the Pumpkins, which wasnt liked by the lead singer lol... The other great spot was the Styvesent ciggy tent, electro goodness =D

Yes I realise that plenty of people like them and enjoy themselves during their set. Though that's not proof that they're live show is particularly good. It's probably got more to do with them targeting the lowest common denominator.

Though that's just my opinion.