• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

panic attacks and mdma

clamjuice

Bluelighter
I searched and didnt find anything relating to my question.

my question is how likely am i to get a panic attack on mdma. i know anything is possible but im looking to use the empathetic and open minded values to help my closed minded brain.

I am diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and do have panic attacks. Not to frequently anymore though. I was on zoloft for 4 years but have been off for about half a year now.

I just wanted to see what other people thought about whether it would be a smart or ill advised idea to take some to open up and hopefully get some stuff out that has been riding on me for my entire life. Iam sure there are other ecstasy users with psych illnesses.

As well i wanted to know whether having a predisposition to anxiety and depression would make my after effects that much harder? Im gonna say yes, as it seems logical, but ill be taking some 5 htp to help combat that.

Any advice or person experiences would help me out here.

Thanks!

hey, I just posted something like this in another thread!

I hear you...I've suffered from anxiety & depression for years and was really nervous about taking MDMA. I put years of work into managing my moods and was NOT about to fuck it up for a party. Did some research & decided to take the leap and...

it was AMAZING! As long as you are not currently on anti-depressants, you will probably find it extremely therapeutic (ironically) on top of being a great time. I love the feeling of rolling...it makes me feel so alive! I've never had any problems coming down, but I have always taken 5-HTP right after a dose to counter-act it. In fact, I started taking 5-HTP on a regular basis and it's improved my pre-existing symptoms.

I take it once a month at the most, but it has helped me to deal with my moods & anxiety. My panic attacks have probably decreased by 95% since I tried MDMA in August (I've taken it 2 times since then). It's a huge difference that several people have commented on. Like you said, it did help me to sort a lot of things out and it taught me to ride out my moods without being afraid of them.

That said, it is scary if you don't trust your moods to be naturally stable. Here are the steps I have taken:

-5-HTP always! And try taking it as a daily supplement....you might be surprised!
-very contolled situations: I only roll if I've planned it, I'm out with very good, supportive friends and I know I'm in a safe situation. As a matter of personal preference, I like to make sure I can stay at a friend's house for the night so I don't come down alone
-small doses and infrequent use. I cannot stress enough how seriously you could fuck up your moods by taking too much too often or by using MDMA to self-treat for depression. An average person could become very depressed in the short term as a side-effect of long-term overuse...for someone with a history of psych issues, it is not an option.

I have had a couple experiences that worried me a little: One time I took more than I should have and felt like I was going to have a panic attack. I was able to ride it out, and in retrospect, I think it would be very hard to have a panic attack while on MDMA. It's probably the first thing you think of when you get stressed, but with those chemicals in your system...it's pretty unlikely if not impossible. I did get pretty stressed about things that could go wrong: did I have enough water, did I have too much water, etc. Best to just keep your dose to a controlled minimum and not have to worry about it. I also get a few minutes of anxiety when coming down, but I know to anticipate it so it is no big deal. I love the feeling of rolling, and I feel trapped at first when I start to come down. A friend gave me good advice: Remember that if you've had a great time out with your friends, you SHOULD be tired and a little disappointed that it's over. That's the normal reaction. Accept it as the next phase of your experience and cuddle with a friend.

All that said, I don't want to sound like I'm preaching for MDMA as a therapeutic drug...which might be nice (who knows?!), but is a whole other agenda and is best left to the professionals. Ultimately, the positive side-effects are a perk that surprised me. I do it because I love the experience.

It is definitely possible to get an attack but its mostly your mind set, if you think you are going to have one you are more likely to etc. You should be fine as long as you are in a comfortable setting with people you know.

JoyfulDemise said:
but I have always taken 5-HTP right after a dose to counter-act it. In fact, I started taking 5-HTP on a regular basis and it's improved my pre-existing symptoms.

i agree with you on that one i've been taking it to help with my depression and it works.

I've never had a panic attack while rolling but i keep some xanax around just in case.

ViciousShadow said:
I've never had a panic attack while rolling but i keep some xanax around just in case.

Yep if you have some benzos just take them with you in case, the fact that you know you can stop an attack itself can pre-emptively stop you from having one, as I said its all in the mindset.

yeah i got a bunch of lorazepam, so that was the plan in case of emergency.

MDMA does a good job at getting rid of anxiety. It is possible to have an attack, but it's almost hard to come by.

serotoninstorm said:
MDMA does a good job at getting rid of anxiety. It is possible to have an attack, but it's almost hard to come by.

Are you joking? MDMA and any other stimulants raise your heart rate, increase adrenalin etc and make it MORE likely to have an attack. A lot of people get their first panic attack whilst on MDMA.

I've had panic attacks on E before, but only when I mixed it with marijuana, shrooms, or LSD. For some reason I feel like I can outsmoke Snoop when I'm rolling, and sometimes I end up on the far side of reality and none too happy about the situation. If you are prone to panic attacks I wouldn't mix E with anything.