• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

[Melb] Rainbow Serpent Jan 25-28 2008 REVIEWS!

DJWEAZAL

Greenlighter
RSFbanner.jpg

lineup.jpg

With over 100 producers and DJ's across 3 separate areas Rainbow has always showcased an eclectic mix of grooves, atmospheres and rhythms. 2008 sees the festivals music program grow with one of the most diverse lineups we have ever had.
From the techy grooves of Eat Static, the progressive stylings of Sonkite, to the psychedelic Finish funk of Haltya and the atmospheric meanderings of Ott, in 2008 Rainbow have bent over backwards and sideways to bring you the very best of the best of international and Australian talent.
Keep an eye on this page for the growing list of sonic delights Rainbow has in stall for you in 2008.
OTT
(Twisted - UK)
Kasey Taylor
(Vapour Recordings - Australia)
Zen Mechanics
(Neurobiotic - Holland)
Ripperton
(Connaisseur - Germany)
Vishnudata
(Space Boogie - Finland)
Eat Static
(Solstice Music - UK)
Son Kite / Minilogue
(Digital Structures / Wagon Repair - Sweden)
Haltya
(Exogenic - Finland)
Andromeda
(Echoes / Vaporvent - Spain)
Solead / Triptych
(Turbo Trance / Citizen - France)
Space Tribe
(Space Tribe Music - Australia)
Monolake
(Imbalance Computer Music - Germany)
Edoardo
(Neurobiotic - Italy)

Eat Static
(Solstice Music, UK)

Eat Static were formed in 1989 by Merv Pepler and Joie Hinton, then drummer and synth player respectively for UK psychedelic band Ozric Tentacles. The band made a name for themselves on the Megadog 'live' techno scene of the early '90s, playing alongside the likes of Orbital, Underworld and Aphex Twin

They were the first signings to Megadog-offshoot Planet Dog records, releasing their debut album 'Abduction' in 1993. Since then the band have played hundreds of gigs worldwide and have become one the most respected and spectacular live dance acts around.

Whilst essentially a sci-fi influenced, trance/techno outfit, they have also incorporated drum and bass, breakbeat, latin, garage and ambient styles into their sound. In the past few years the band has become more involved with the psychedelic trance scene, playing parties and festivals the world over and releasing numerous tracks on numerous compilations.

Their latest album De-Classified has just been released on Solstice Music and once again sees their sound evolving. Breaks, Dubstep, Trance and Drum n' Bass all fuse with their paranoid, futuristic and up-for-it blend of psychedelic techno.

We welcome them to the Rainbow lineup for 2008 for what won't just be the live set of the summer, but will be a truly unique experience you will never forget.

http://www.myspace.com/eatstaticspace

Son Kite / Minilogue
(Digital Structures / Wagon Repair, Sweden)

These guys barely need an introduction .... but just in case you've been living under a rock, let's do one anyway. Sebastian Mullaert and Marcus Henriksson came from opposing backgrounds. Sebastian was trained as a classical musician playing the organ, piano and the violin among other instruments. He even became involved in teaching them until his coming of age at 18 when he formed a band and began experimenting with the sounds in a more contemporary way.

Marcus lived on a diet of Kraftwerk and the Human League until realising his true calling in the techno parties of the 90s. They got together in 1996 and after 10 years in the music business under globally successful guises such as Son Kite and Trimatic, they formed Minilogue - an animalistic music concept without the boundaries of genres.

Two of the most sort after acts around the world Son Kite and Minilogue have a reputation for consistently mind-bending live performances. They dismantled the dancefloor at Rainbow in 2006 like Tetris grandmasters and we look forward to being realigned by these guys once more.

http://www.myspace.com/sonkite
http://www.myspace.com/minilogue

Early Bird Tickets

Tickets are selling fast, so if you’re a Rainbow regular and want to save by grabbing your early bird tickets, now is the time to buy.
Early Bird 1 , 2 & 3 - SOLD OUT
Early Bird 4 $130 + BF available now till December 31 or until sold out
General Admission $145 + BF available from January 1
Online only from Greentix.com.au
rainbowpic.jpg

MELBOURNE OUTLETS:
 Ministry of Style (Brunswick St)
 Inacoma (Ringwood)
 Alley Tunes (Hawthorn)

Environment / Sustainability

For several years the team behind Rainbow has been looking at ways to reduce its environmental impact. Recycling initiatives and composting toilets have already been utilised effectively at previous festivals. However, in 2008 we want to take things even further and invite you to help us in our aim to become carbon neutral. This will be achieved in part by reducing the emissions of the festival in all viable areas and offsetting any remaining surplus through tree planting and carbon credit initiatives.

Rainbow would like to encourage you to participate with us in reducing your own carbon footprint and not just over the festival period but every day. Over the coming months we will give you some useful ideas on how to measure your contribution to Co2 emissions and ways in which you can help Rainbow to achieve this important goal.

Call For Submissions

Get involved in Rainbow 08, submissions open for interest in the following areas.

Promotion
Volunteer Work
Workshops / Activities
Performers
Arts / Decor / Sculpture
Environmental Initiatives
Chill Artists
Markets
Healers

Click here for more information on how to get involved.

http://rainbowserpent.net/eflyer2008r1/submissions/

Housekeeping / Mailing List

We are using a new mail management system and tidying up our mailing list at the moment, so it would be great if you could click the link below to ensure you remain subscribed. By making sure of your subscription you will continue to be notified first of any competitions, special offers and other news.

www.rainbowserpent.net

strip.png

Hell yeah....should be awesome. DMT Cowboys ftw :)

HOLY SHIT!! $145 a ticket??? SERIOUSLLY???? For a festival??

*falls of chair*

....that's dedication for you if you can afford that just to go doofing!

Im passing thanks. I have other things to spend that much cash on!

*starfalls69* said:
HOLY SHIT!! $145 a ticket??? SERIOUSLLY???? For a festival??

*falls of chair*

....that's dedication for you if you can afford that just to go doofing!

Im passing thanks. I have other things to spend that much cash on!

It is WELL over the top, but maybe it'll mean that only the devoted will go? Either way, its a long event with a greate lineup, so I feel its worth it. Sneak in? ;)

joke...

All the dedicated rainbow-heads bought their tickets months ago for around $80. My first rainbow the tickets were $20 at the gate and that was only 6 years ago.

I don't mind if the price keeps rising like this, as long as they keep putting on quaility festivals as they do.

YAY for rainbow!

I always say that since my first rainbow i wouldn't miss any and have even given up my BDO's for them but i don't think i can make it next year due to moving out and all sorts of other bills *sigh* I've been to the last 4 in a row :(

shorza said:
All the dedicated rainbow-heads bought their tickets months ago for around $80.

Yup.

(Well, second round was a little dearer, but still cheap)

In any event, compare the full price of this to something like splendour where you have to pay for your camping ticket on top, I think you're getting a pretty sweet deal.

I think it's going to be a mighty fine weekend :D

Wow pekkie, i don't think i have ever met you.
I look forward to it.

As well as you other bluelighters too.

Mr Samadhi and I are seriously thinking about coming down for this, but i have questions: Since we're coming down from Brisbane (but flying, not driving all the way - work committments mean we can't take that much time off), we were thinking of hiring a wicked campervan for it.

Having said that, do they even allow them on the campsite??

If not, i guess we'll have to just rethink it, and maybe just backpack bare essentials and hire a car to get us there.

Talking with friends in Melbourne this last weekend has gotten me excited. I've not been to a festival this large in at least 8 years... i've been to plenty of smaller doofs, but nothing on this scale, and everyone has said that if i were to choose any event to go to, this is it.

:)

It will be cool to put some more faces to names, as well. :D

You wont regret it. If going to any festival in Melb, go to this.

You can take a camper in.

WOOHOO! :D

Fantastic!

Thanks for letting me know, Shorza :)

willow11 said:
It is WELL over the top, but maybe it'll mean that only the devoted will go? Either way, its a long event with a greate lineup, so I feel its worth it. Sneak in? ;)

joke...

True true...and yeah $10 an act aint bad i guess when you break it down. It is still too much of a long hul for me and my work committments with the AIF are in full swing so i dont think sneaking in will happen either due to not being able to get off work :(

I haven't seen Space Tribe live in years :D "Religious Experience" is still one of my all-time favourite albums - especially "Dance Like Nobody is Watching". :D

Someone 'borrowed' it and never gave it back :(

Best party of the year! No one will regret going if you havn't been and are thinking about it. The vibe is just beautiful. It's a real utopia - to me anyway (and not in a rave sense) :p ;)