The Big & Bearded Post Rock thread v. Relate & Recommend bands

I was (unfortunately) unfamiliar with Swervedriver until I saw their reunion show at the Metro this summer. Powerful stuff.

As for, !!!, I still can't decide where I stand with this band. When That Guy and I saw them spring '07, I thought they were pretty cool. Although at that show, they had a chick doing the lead vocals, which helped matters a lot. When I saw them at Lollapalooza, she was nowhere to be found, and suddenly their stuff sucked hard. Nic Offer is one of the worst frontmen ever.

I can't get into the newer style of shoegaze really. But yeah, My Bloody Valentine is fucking amazing. One of my favorite bands for sure.

Galaxie 500 is a pretty cool shoegaze band too, but they're much more minimal. Apparently their drummer got their drum set from Conan O' Brien when they were all at Harvard in the 80s.

In terms of post-rock, it doesn't get better then Sigur Ros. Godspeed! you black emporer and explosions in the sky are great too though.

Try The High Violets from Portland, more of a poppier "old school" shoegaze like Lush if anyone remembers them before they became a shitty Britpop act and the drummer hanged himself (not cool).
Also Deerhunter fit the shoegazey, krautrocky aesthetic but have vocals if that's your bag.
Try Death In Vegas too for more electronic type shoegaze.
And all the regulars, Ride et al.

^ Sigur Ros is their #2 friend, so that's a good sign. ;) They have some pizzazz. Thanks.

Everyone did a great job of suggesting bands... I'm not sure I'd have anything else to add to this thread which hasn't already been mentioned.

none of this stuff is shoegaze... post-rock, yes.. but i hardly think anyone really cares.

Mogwai's "Ten Rapid" was what introduced me to post-rock, just after I had graduated from high school in 1998.
Godspeed! You Black Emperor's "Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada" EP was another one of my favorite albums of that period... 1999'ish.
Tristeza's debut LP, "Spine and Sensory" on Makoto, was lovely instrumental post-rock. First saw them at Michigan Fest 1999, where their set was among the standout performances of the weekend.
David Pajo / Aerial M / Papa M (see also: Slint, Tortoise, etc) has released a bunch of really good solo stuff.
Ganger were a Glasgow band who had gone on tour with Mogwai in 1999... They had recently released "Hammock Style" which was one of my favorite albums of that period.

i'd try to come up with more stuff, but i'm losing patience with myself.

I got the most recent Mouth of the Architect CD "Quietly". It's absolutely crushing. Makes insides go boom.

Quite full of anguish, definitely. But if you want to trance out simultaneously to banging your head furiously, this album can do that.

It's kind of like ISIS' In the Absence of Truth and Neurosis' Times of Grace got together and had a despair-child.

Seriously, enough fun little analogies. "Quietly" is a stellar album of the Post-Metal variety. Couldn't be more recommended.

I consider 'shoe-gazer' and 'post-rock' 2 seperate genres. Not that it really matters because both are great.

MVB
Jesus and Mary Chain
Slowdive.

Pretty much British groove oriented distortion type pop.

'Post Rock' is more influenced by film scores, jazz, ambient type type stuff IMO

Tortoise,
Slint,
Trans-Am.

Thrill Jockey is a great label with a lot of 'post rock' bands.

agreed... I like the american shoegaze of Brian Jonestown Massacre and Yo La Tengo a ton, also Chapterhouse, Ride and The Jesus and Mary Chain for sure(irony + noise = ace)

Last edited:
old school "post-rock" outfits
Bark Psychosis
Seefeel
Pram (early) (later music is nice dream pop stuff)
Moonshake (early)
Laika (early)
Talk-Talk (later)

And later outfits, like
Set Fire To Flames
and some Exhaust (drummer from GY!BE and some friends..?)

Also for future reference
:http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=32

Last edited:
And for shoegaze, no one mentioned deerhunter... really?:p Also School of Seven Bells is somewhat shoegazeish.

agreed... I like the american shoegaze of Brian Jonestown Massacre and Yo La Tengo a ton, also Chapterhouse, Ride and The Jesus and Mary Chain for sure(irony + noise = ace)

I only found BJM's first album shoegazeish.

Has anyone mentioned the first Verve album A storm in heaven?

It's fucking great, along with their first EP (verve E.P) and first single (All in the mind)

Edit - Also Mercury Rev's first album Yerself is Steam. A few songs flirt with shoegaze sorta style although it's kinda more ilke the flaming lips early stuff over all. Still, Chasing a bee is a fuckin tune.

I only found BJM's first album shoegazeish.

I sorta count Spacegirl and other Favorites and the Diane Perry Tape as full albums because I spend more time listening to them then their 60s revival stuff. Their most recent album My Bloody Underground is definitely shoegazeish but more on the side of avant garde.