The Big & Bearded Post Rock thread v. Relate & Recommend bands

Tortoise is amazing. Great stuff. Their most popular is 'Millions now living will never die'. That was the one that sort of got the whole 'post-rock' thing going.

Instrumentals if that's what you like. Great band. Jon McIntyre's band with members from Eleventh Day, Chicago Underground Duo and others.

McIntyre plays drums in the 'Sea and Cake' which is one of my favorite bands ever.

Jazz informed pop with 'post rock' trappings.

yay for Mogwai and Ride. :)

how about the Beta Band? mostly vocal stuff.

i would go for the Three EPs album first as a taster. :)

51F2aObho2L._AA240_.jpg

might be a little too quirky and 'experimental' for these purposes, but i think they're worth checking out.

So, why do they call it "shoegaze"? Does it have something to do with a foot fetish?

it's because many of these bands would do fuck all on stage except play their instruments and stare at their feet. i think the expression was first coined by NME back in the 80s. 8)

SonOF said:
Many seem to be mentioning Tortoise. Can someone give me a suggestion as to where I should start with them?

I would recommend the album TNT, its one of my all time favorites, a great tripping album.

For Mogwai, I think a good starting point is 'EP+2'

for Tristeza, 'Dream Signals in Full Circles' is my favorite by a long shot.

As for The Mercury Program, I'd recommend the 'All The Suits Began To Fall Off' EP, or 'A Data Learn The Language'

(all of those bands are instrumental by the way)
As a huge metal head, I find that a lot of this post-rock shares some qualities with heavy metal, which may be the reason I enjoy it so much

Download the album Don Caballero II, and prepare to be blown away. I didn't include them on my list because I classify them as math-rock (the band that defines the genre in my opinion), but really amazing stuff. The guitarist from Don Cab (Ian Williams) is now in a band called Battles, which is amazing (especially live), a bit hard to define, maybe post-post-rock :)

Last edited:
I don't know guys, I think Happy Songs for Happy People doesn't have a bad song on it. :D

^also good, I find EP+2 to be highly consistent and a bit easier to get into as a stepping stone to their other stuff. Come On Die Young was probably the first one I really got into, Xmas Steps is probably my favorite Mogwai song.

A Silver Mt. Zion is pretty good, members of Godspeed in it, also on the constellation label. Some lyrics. Check out cstrecords.com for a list of other bands on their label. I don't think i've heard anything they've put out that I haven't liked.

Gregor Samsa is really good also. Also some lyrics but beautiful music. Check out their untitled EP, specifically the first song. More along the lines of My Bloody Valentine in terms of their sound.

Also if you like Godspeed, check around for live copies of their songs "Gamelan" and "Albanian". They were new songs they started to play on their last tour that never got put on an album. I got to see them play Albanian live and it was pretty awesome.

Broken Social Scene's first album is all instrumental. Not so much shoegaze or postrock as probably indie, but it's a great instrumental album whatever you want to label it as.

Anything by Do Make Say Think. Those guys keep getting better and better.

e1evene1even said:
Download the album Don Caballero II, and prepare to be blown away. I didn't include them on my list because I classify them as math-rock (the band that defines the genre in my opinion), but really amazing stuff. The guitarist from Don Cab (Ian Williams) is now in a band called Battles, which is amazing (especially live), a bit hard to define, maybe post-post-rock :)

Although I didn't mention it in the original post, I have some Don Caballero stuff, and I like them as well. Also along the lines of heavy, technical, instrumental, post-rock (how many genre labels/adjectives can I string together?) stuff is Dysrhythmia, a pretty cool band currently signed to Relapse Records.

i just picked up a cd by a band called 'A Place to Bury Strangers'.

it's very fuzzed out indie rock-ish experimental sonic assault-er-if-ic.

here's a review from pitchfork.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/45159-a-place-to-bury-strangers

Compiling mastered versions of the band's early CD-Rs and mp3s, A Place to Bury Strangers' self-titled debut LP sets tinnitus-inducing noise-pop against a tension-wracked Joy Division-meets-Ministry backdrop. Plenty of bands have tapped the trebly, ecstatic side of shoegaze in recent years, but none have imbued it with this band's frustrated aggression or lacerating feedback.

What hits first is the reverberating distortion: The brutal textures announce themselves in pangs of blown-out guitar, crunching against the propulsive bassline and distant, static-soaked drums of opening track "Missing You". Thirty seconds in, the tempest recedes, revealing the song's love-wasted verses and murky, chiming guitars (think the Chills' "Pink Frost" and you're close), only to sneak up again for a shattered, metal-twisting chorus. The group's versatile squall can crumble majestically, as on the slow-motion starfighter explosions of "The Falling Sun", or growl like a wounded mountain lion, as during the pitch-shifting tumult of "My Weakness". And on "To Fix the Gash in Your Head", it even evokes the late-80s peak of Wax Trax! industrial bands, fleshed out by treble-heavy synth, buzzsaw guitars, and primitive, pre-programmed drum loops.

Check out Inventions for the New Season by Maserati. Should be right up anyone's alley who digs pre-Dark Side Floyd and instrumental post rock.

'Constellation' is a great label. Awesome packaging. Pick up the vinyl on them if you can.

Love Stereolab too. Great great band.

Since I am digging this kind of music a lot as of late, am I now allowed to wear thick hipster glasses and a scarf? Or do I have to pass a certain test? ;)

Km013 said:
I don't know guys, I think Happy Songs for Happy People doesn't have a bad song on it. :D

I seriously don't think there is one Mogwai album that I don't enjoy. Of course I prefer some over others, but the band seriously kicks ass, and I will give them credit for enticing me to look further within this genre/style.

e1evene1even said:
for Tristeza, 'Dream Signals in Full Circles' is my favorite by a long shot.

This album kicks ass. Thanks for the suggestion. :D

+1 for slowdive. great pick, though quite vocal.
if you like that sound, check out ivy. they are similarly awesome.

here are some others i enjoy:

the album leaf
tristeza (same guy [jimmy lavalle] from the album leaf)
japancakes (totally instrumental, kind of ... twangy?)
explosions in the sky
hammock
sigur ros
film school (their EP is more instrumental than their full album)
spiritualized

these might not exactly belong in the post-rock category but they're good and have that same sort of dreamy vibe:

american analog set
her space holiday
broken social scene
american football

i'd probably throw team sleep somewhere in there as well.

%)

Finder said:
Check out Inventions for the New Season by Maserati. Should be right up anyone's alley who digs pre-Dark Side Floyd and instrumental post rock.

I probably like this album more than anything else suggested in this thread. :D

Some other amazing bands that are on the heavier side of the genre which I didn't mention in the original post:

Cult of Luna
Giant Squid
Mouth of the Architect
Neurosis
Rosetta

Sometimes such bands are referred to as "post metal;" but not sure if I like the term very much. Either way, these bands kick ass. %)