• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

How to test heroin potency

bulldog8b

Bluelighter
I was thinking about the people that say, my dope is 60% pure or whatever. I aksed how anybody knows inanother thread and got no answers, so I am assuming it is just a bullshit guess not based on anything. But then I was thinking. Could you get an approximate purity by comparing the high with another drug, probably morphine. I know the dosages here and weights are gonna be wrong, but I am going to use round numbers for simplicty sake. This would also be a bit subjective, but close, maybe. Here goes.

Say you could IV morphine and heroin at 2 seperate times, both times completely sober. IV an amount of each so as to get the same high from both(of course this is subjective, but say youcould get close). Could you then extrapolate that info to figure the purity of the heroin?

Say it 200 mgs(.2gm) to get high on IV H
It also takes 20 mgs of morphine to get same high
Therefore, it takes 10% of the amount of H to get high on M, and figuring H is
2X as potent as M, H is 5% pure.

In my mind, that makes sense, but there is a reason that I majored in History and not math or chem. I could be 100% wrong here, somebody let me know if I am. Obviously, like I said, this is not exact and it is impossible to quantify a high, but just figure that you can. Is this process anywhere near correct?

Come on, not one of you math geeks can tell me if this right or close to right or 100% wrong?

Could you get an approximate purity by comparing the high with another drug, probably morphine.

That would be extremely difficult. You have to take into account roa, tolerance, dosing pattern, adulterants(different than diluteants), and one owns reaction to the particular drug. Even when someone states that pure heroin is 3-5 times stronger than pure morphine, you have to take that with a grain of salt.

The best way to test it out is in a lab, specifically with something like a gc/ms. I only know of a few people that have said they've used one to test their dope. So the vast majority of people( 99% ) that quote specific purity percentages are bullshitting.

A cruder test could be done by testing the substance's MP. The MP will vary when something is added to it. Matter of fact, back in the day, the DEA used the MP to test out what drug they may be dealing with. That of course was before the advent of specific regeant tests that could differentiate between the drugs. Back in the day there also used to be small devices that were sold, and mostly used by big time dealers, that tested a substance's MP. They have gone out of fashion for quite some time now.

I would say that a snorted bag of dope is equal to about 60mg's of snorted OxyContin on average. Of course that's just my own subjective experience... I wouldn't even go by that when I'm buying a new stamnp/batch of heroin from the same place.

phrozen said:
That would be extremely difficult. You have to take into account roa, tolerance, dosing pattern, adulterants(different than diluteants), and one owns reaction to the particular drug. Even when someone states that pure heroin is 3-5 times stronger than pure morphine, you have to take that with a grain of salt.

The best way to test it out is in a lab, specifically with something like a gc/ms. I only know of a few people that have said they've used one to test their dope. So the vast majority of people( 99% ) that quote specific purity percentages are bullshitting.

QUOTE]

I understand all that, that is why i said both would be done IV, by the same person who was totally sober at the time of the shot. And I think comparing morphine to heroin is pretty close, figuring that heroin is either 2 or 3 times stronger. I know the best way to test would be in a lab, but since most of us don't have one, cuold we figure out the approximate potency by doing what I described above or maybe some variation on that process? It seems like it would work to me. Also, i don't really care how my heroin equates to OxyContin, I want to know what the purity of the heroin I have is, that is why I thought to compare it to morphine, by the same person, same ROA, sober both times with in a day of eachother. That way there is no difference in ROA, tolerance, etc, etc.

I'm assuming you're trying to find purity for dosing reasons, that's why I gave the example of how it compares to OxyContin. I see no major difference between comparing it to morphine, or to OxyContin. Fuck, you could compare it to any other opiate. Regardless, it'll be a rough estimate if you're trying to gauge purity even by comparing it to morphine. Hell, most places don't even narrow down exactly how much stronger heroin is compared to morphine, ie "2-3X".

Fine, let's say there is no difference in tolerance, roa, etc. There is still a difference in subjective effects. I'm not even going to get into the subjective nature of euphoria.

You also realize that you'll have to combine all of your dope and thoroughly mix it together, right? Dope may vary in purity from bag to bag, even within the same stamp brand.

Like I said earlier, the best way to gauge purity is with the proper equipment(gc/ms) or by its MP.

PS: Lurk more.

Testing purity can be tough. That said, if you really are getting the same high with 200mg H as you are with 20mg morphine, please find a new dealer. That said, I don't know if you were making up an example or were serious.

phrozen said:
I'm assuming you're trying to find purity for dosing reasons, that's why I gave the example of how it compares to OxyContin. I see no major difference between comparing it to morphine, or to OxyContin. Fuck, you could compare it to any other opiate. Regardless, it'll be a rough estimate if you're trying to gauge purity even by comparing it to morphine. Hell, most places don't even narrow down exactly how much stronger heroin is compared to morphine, ie "2-3X".

Fine, let's say there is no difference in tolerance, roa, etc. There is still a difference in subjective effects. I'm not even going to get into the subjective nature of euphoria.

You also realize that you'll have to combine all of your dope and thoroughly mix it together, right? Dope may vary in purity from bag to bag, even within the same stamp brand.

Like I said earlier, the best way to gauge purity is with the proper equipment(gc/ms) or by its MP.

PS: Lurk more.

How many times do I have to say that a high is subjective and that I know this won't work exactly, it is just a general idea. I also know that a lab test would be better, I really don't need anybody to tell me that. The reason I would compare it to morphine is because the potency of other other opiate is compared to morphine. Why start comparing it to oxy now? I also do not need to find purity for dosing reasons. I have been doing H long enough that that is not important, it was just a thought I had since about half the people here seem to know the exact pruity of their dope, which by the way, is compoete bullshit.

P.S. What good would lurking do? Nobody has ever given any way or even a thought on how to figure out the purity of dope besides sending to a lab. I thought people here would discuss the thought rather than just give useless answers. Maybe I'll just ask what the best way to take the 2 OC 40's I stole from my Grandma are. Or maybe I'll start a thread on whether or not I should shoot my little brother's adderall. Those always seem popular.

OverDriven said:
Testing purity can be tough. That said, if you really are getting the same high with 200mg H as you are with 20mg morphine, please find a new dealer. That said, I don't know if you were making up an example or were serious.

Read the ENTIRE 1st paragraph. Come on, it's only 1 paragraph, you can do it. All of your answers are right there.

P.S. If you are to lazy to do that, I stated in the very 1st paragraph that weights and doses are not correct and are only used for simplicity sake.

bulldog8b said:
Maybe I'll just ask what the best way to take the 2 OC 40's I stole from my Grandma are. Or maybe I'll start a thread on whether or not I should shoot my little brother's adderall. Those always seem popular.

Cute. Funny. Sadly accurate.

But in all seriousness, around here, having an attitude does not help you one bit. People see that attitude, and even if they have the exact answer you're looking for, are turned off and won't help you. Its nothing personal, but if act right around here you can get a lot more in return. Also patience for more people to chime in helps, because you never know if the person who can answer your question exactly only visits this site ever so rarely, and they're going to come in and help you when they can.

Snobby Drug-Users

Geez, the people on this site can be so snobby sometimes. Did I miss something, or is this a site about the safe abuse and misuse of drugs? I think bulldog was asking a legitimate (albeit with a very subjective answer) question and didn't seem to have an attitude until the drug snobs started to unleash their wrath.

People should calm down a little bit, open your mind a little, and try to remember what kind of people frequent this site. Whether you steal 2 OC80s from grandma or if your friend in Afghanistan ships you a fat sack of smack every month...........I'm sure everyone has a unique perspective. Trying to jump on people and call them out just makes them reluctant to ask some questions because they're afraid they might say something stupid.

As far as your question, Bulldog, I'd say you should just send it to a lab. Just kidding. In my opinion there are too many variables involved to really obtain an accurate estimate of relative potency. Even if you could control for every possible variable, you'd still be dealing with 2 different molecules, each with unique euphoric effects.

That's probably not super helpful, but good luck. My best advice would be to just get really fucked up on the best shit you can find and send whatever is left-over to me.

1. Perhaps the problem is there's no exact answer to the question.
2. Someone with 2 posts shouldn't come around and tell people who have been generating discussion and disseminating knowledge and safety around these boards for years how they should act.

I told you MELTING POINT TEST twice!

Other than that compare it to whatever the hell you want to. Compare it to Oxy then convert that to morphine. You seem to know the answer already, why ask us and then be a dick when we respond?

PS: Go fuck yourself.

Irony

I think you're probably right....there probably isn't a black-and-white answer to his/her question. But you pointing out that I have only 2 posts (3 now) really just proves my point. Although you are definitely more tenured on this site than I am, I feel that my thoughts/views are nonetheless relevant. And by no means did I mean to imply that I'm telling tenured folks such as yourself how to act. I just tend to comment on this type of negativity when I see it. I'm sure I will pick up on the informal bylaws of this forum as time marches on and adjust my banter accordingly.

I recommend you put the thesaurus down, 90% of the people on this site are half-retarded anyway. You're wasting good vocabulary words here;)

Welcome to BL.

Phrozen - a MP test won't do much. You'll know its cut, but unless you have reference (good luck finding those) you won't be able to do anything with the melting pt you observe. I'm experienced with using MP to test substances I've synthesized, etc, and without a reference, the number you get doesn't clue you in on an actual % for purity. If the OP does decide to do this, please note that when a pure substance has impurities, the melting pt will drop, if this hasn't been stated already.

^
I guess you're right. Since various substances affect the MP at different degrees in different quantities. ie 10mg of substance X drops the MP by 5%, where 10mg of substance Y drops the MP by 10%. :\

What about the purification technique? Weigh it. Purify. Weigh again.

Should give an approximate right?

IV-ing Aderoll??

Slightly off topic, but someone made reference to "shooting his brother's aderoll". Would you simply crush them, disolve and shoot? or is there a coating to strip away first etc?? Also, what would an effective dose be???