• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

The Conversion of CBD to THC

What about the idea of just refluxing regular, unprocessed weed in dH2O at low heat (around 80-85 deg), sans acid, as mentioned above. Has anyone been able to replicate this result? I tried once about 2 years ago and I can't say that it produced any particular effects.

Riemann Zeta said:
What about the idea of just refluxing regular, unprocessed weed in dH2O at low heat (around 80-85 deg), sans acid, as mentioned above. Has anyone been able to replicate this result? I tried once about 2 years ago and I can't say that it produced any particular effects.

Along with some friends, I placed different qualities of weed into an oven, wrapped in foil and baked them for a period of time.

Passed equal doses around and then collected responses.

I posted some of my charts in CD.

Riemann Zeta said:

You need an acid (hydrogen ion donor) to catalyse the opening of the double bond to form the pyran ring of THC, so heating in water will do nothing

I couldnt find the thread ham-milton. Do you have any idea when you may have posted it or its name?

theWorldWithin said:
I couldnt find the thread ham-milton. Do you have any idea when you may have posted it or its name?

It was this year, probably january?

Let me see if I can find it.

Is that not closer to an accelerated drying/curing process than anything else? Weed should really have undergone the process already by the time it's sold, but of course it often hasn't.

fastandbulbous said:
That's more to do with forcing the conversion of THC-carboxylic acid to THC, not the reversible THC <-> CBD reaction

Does the heat not isomerize it as well? I may have been confused.

Dont think heat 'isomerize' CBD to THC, though.
Anyhow, theoritically refluxing CBD in acid media would give THC according to this mechanism:
4temp.jpg

but in reality, is there any proof for the reaction condition that is optimized? since the mechanism goes via carbocation, and everyone knows carbocations often gives messy by-product, like...

(1) May the other double bond accepts the proton and it cyclizes that way? Remember the single bond out of benzene ring is rotatable, and the formed carbocation is 5-atoms-far from the -OH, equally for both two double bonds, and this leads to 6-membered rings in both cases.
vtemp.jpg

(2) Polymerization via carbocations, etc.

I didnt have a proof, either. But this is just my speculation in what "might also" happen.

Nice mechanism. I also can't believe that the reaction is extremely high-yield, at reflux temperature, the enthalpy is such that a lot of things can happen to sensitive chemicals like cannabinoids.

Or alternatively you could see it as acid catalysed hydrolytic opening of a double bond to give an alcohol. With the presence of sulphuric acid, these two adjacent OH groups could dehydrate to form the pyran ring (leaves little room for unwanmted side reactions).

Anyway, in all honesty, you need a bit of CBD in there to lessen the potential anxiety which seems common with pure THC

I have read the instructions on making budder. But it is not very detailed for a person without needed background to perform it, neither I would like to purify up to 99.6% percent.

What I, and I guess some of the guys outthere looking for, is a relatively easy (or as easy as it can get in these circumstances) method to make their buds to give higher high.

As I understand there are several methods to it:
1. Converting CBD or other cannabi.. to THC.
2. Converting THCA to THC.
3. Something about spinning.
4. Creating acetate.

I'm a little bit confused about all those methods and I wonder if it's possible to combine them.

Again, what I'm looking for is some detailed instructions of how to improve the THC % in the bud (directly or first making oil out of it and then increasing the %).

Here ya go!

This is nice:

1. Treat your stuff as if it were a volatile solvent or critical fluid extraction.
2. With the remaining resin, dissolve it in a non-polar solvent. Be sure to use one that separates easily from water such as naphia or white gas.
3. Treat this mixture with sulphuric or hydrochloric acid until a pH around 1-2 is reached (approximately one drop of concentrated acid per gram of extract).
4. Place this in a reflux apparatus and cook it for about an hour. In case you¡¦re not familiar this is basically just Pyrex breaker with a large looped tube plugged into the top. This will cause the solution inside to be exposed to elevated pressures as well as temperatures, as well as preserving all of the original contents. Simply simply boiling the mixture in a small strong covered vessel can mimic it.
5. Wash what¡¦s left with water, keep the oil layer.
6. Neutralize your mix (bring it to pH 7.0) with a little Sodium Hydroxide solution (pH 9.0) or baking soda then rewash it with water. Save the oil layer again.
7. Allow your oil to evaporate and you should be left with a sticky amber liquid that contains almost pure THC.
from http://www.420magazine.com/forums/c...isomerization-thc-produce-purest-extract.html

Also:

"Grind up your weed really small and get it really dry. Let it soak in an acetone solution and throw in some pure acetic acid. you can get acetic acid (vinegar) more pure by freezing the vinegar slightly and the water will freeze first. Water freezes at 32 deg F and acetic acid freezes at 28 deg F. So use a strainer to filter through and remove alot of the water to get purer acetic acid. Pour the acetic acid water solution into the acetone solution and let it sit for a week or more. Heating the solution causes the whole reaction to happen more quickly. Candle warmers work great for this (accelerating evaporation times requires well ventilated areas). The acetic acid turns the thc and cannabinoids into the thc acetate which is many times more potent than any thc nature can produce. Filter out all the useless gunk with a strainer and coffee filters and Pour the acetone solution into a glass drying tray and let all the acetone evaporate. Then pour in a bunch of Bestine from any art supply store ( chemical name is heptane). This is called a non-polar solvent and it floats on water. You do this to basically separate the thc oils from anything water soluble like the acetic acid. Pour everything into a large large glass jar and Keep pouring distilled water into the jar and siphoning the top layer ( the thc bestine) off or just siphon out the water from the bottom with a glass turkey baster. Keep adding and removing the distilled water until its clear. Lastly pour off the liquid into a large glass baking tray and let the bestine evaporate. This will leave you with a dark honey colored oil. You can simply smoke this oil ( pour it on bowls) or soak it up with J papers ( j-paper balls soaked in pure thc acetate and crumbled up, placed in a bowl), lace blunts with or combine it with any oil ( sesame oil holds the most thc) if you want to make edibles. Combine it with sesame oil and freeze it, then put it into capsules. One capsule and bam,higher than hell for 12 hours, anywhere anytime.

note both heptane and acetone while being toxic have really fast evaporation rates, so it will be really easy to tell when they are released out of the mix. Heating the mixure insures that all heptane or acetone have evaporated. If you have so much thc oil in the end that some heptane gets trapped under mounds of thc oil, then heat the solution or add boiling water to get the remaining bestine (heptane) to evaporate into the air.

Also note* This method will turn bad mid grade or low grade buds into a much better smoke with alot of THC acetate (stronger than THC). Basically mid grade bud is bud that has had its THC degrade into CBD and CBN which are cannabinoids. The acetic acid converts the CBD and CBN back into THC and thus bad bud becomes good bud, but in a pure oil form. These processes are known as the isomerization and acetylation (sp?) of hash oil.

Last NOTE* always let your acetone or bestine evaporate in a well-ventilated room or outside, Sorry if that wasnt clear but I was meaning to address the people that obviously know this already. The candle warmer will cause more fumes to come off faster so make sure you know what you are doing. If you want to avoid heating, then let it evaporate naturally, it will take longer, but it still wont take more than a week. Just get the largest glass baking tray you can get."

got it from http://www.reddit.com/r/Marijuana/comments/979wf/how_to_extract_and_convert_your_weeds_thc_into/;)

Hexane is the best solvent you could get for Marijuana. Alcohol sucks cause it's very polar, Hexane is cleaner.
You just put some pot in a jar, cover with hot Hexane and shake a lot.
Filter the weed out, and let the solvent evaporate till you can't smell the Hexane. You get really nice Hash Oil, probably as clean as the one you'd get with Butane (but I dont recommend using Butane)

And then you could freeze the oil to make it easier to handle.
Also, if you want to increase the potency of the oil, you just have to use the same Hexane with new weed over and over again. (use like 250 ml for every 10 grams). That way you concentrate the potency very easily :D
I've tried it, and it's superb. One toke of it gets me as stoned as 5 tokes

Oh one more thing, if you wanna smoke the pot instead of oil, just pour the oil over the weed and let evaporate =D
Ah yeah.

From what I've seen recently, EtOEt is probably the best solvent for making oil with. However, it won't extract the acid forms very well, and IIRC, is preferential for THC over CBD and other cannabinoids, so it may be wise to decarboxylate by heat first?

might be worth a try.

EtOEt? wtf? Ethanol?
No man, Hexane (Heptane, naphtha, kerosene, etc), Chloroform and Butane are the best. The less polar the purer the oil.