• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Black tar heroin vs. Opium (inhaled)

The high is similar, as heroin is essentially morphine.

If I had a choice between smoking #3 or opium, I'd choose opium.

I'll take my dope iv'ed please...

Nope, not the same. smoking heroin is much more sedating and of course euphoric. Opium is maybe 10% morphine and all its other alkaloids .

I was suprised the first itme I got high on opium (not first time i smoked it) because it nothing at all as I imagined it would be. Just makes me want to sleep really.

Phrozen is correct though in that heroin is just a delivery vehichle for morphine.

rachamim said:
Nope, not the same. smoking heroin is much more sedating and of course euphoric.

From what I read, opium has more effects; seems like it could even be better than heroin. This talks about its psychedelic effects:

Opium alters the recognition and perception of certain sensations. Dr. John Jones wrote of how it wonderfully distorted candle flames, how the sound of a pin dropped into a brass bowl was magnified and changed, how church bells sounded as if heard along a 'hollow valley'. At the end of the eighteenth and into the nineteenth centuries, this warping of sensation, in addition to the dreams and visual images opium promoted, was to have a profound effect upon the arts, in particular literature.

Opium: A History, Martin Booth

I'm tempted to think it's a cooler high, because it's more than one chemical (morphine, codeine, thebaine, papaverine, and more) -- just like how people prefer actual marijuana over just the one cannabinoid, THC.

But the thing is: I'm not asking what the difference between heroin and opium is; I'm asking what the difference between black tar heroin and opium is. Black tar heroin is actually a chemically enhanced form of opium; it's not heroin (heroin is a chemically enhanced form of morphine, alone). So, I'm wondering what the difference between acetylated opium and opium is.

Last edited:
No, Tar is not opium. It i s good old heroin produced by a slighty different route and using slightly different chems. If you would like to examine an approximate process look into "Homebaked." The form is identical.

Tar can be converted to powder simply by filtering and carefully srying, no acid is needed,etc.

As for Booth, I have that book actually. I enjoy his writing but opium is not psychadelic in the least. t is a sedating experience but if someone saw things it is coming from their mind, not an effect of the substance.

rachamim said:
As for Booth, I have that book actually. I enjoy his writing but opium is not psychadelic in the least. t is a sedating experience but if someone saw things it is coming from their mind, not an effect of the substance.

You Cannot Deny the Experiences of Others (Erowid)

Heroin is opium that has been highly refined, so unless you are getting super bad heroin, I would imagine the H would be much better. I haven't done much opium, but don't remember ever getting very high off of it at all. I always smoked it with bud and just felt a bit more stone, I could have even just been fooling myself. H on the other hand, there's no mistaking that you're just high as a kite on it.

Never smoked opium, only smoked heroin once or twice for that matter, like others said, I like mine IV, thank you. Anyway, it seems most people here are saying smoking opium is a bum deal. Why then, the popularity of it in the 19th century and before? When I think of opium dens, I think of people smoking opium and nodding out, just like a bunch of IV heroin users sitting around. Are you just saying it is bunk compared to heroin or all around? 'Splain yourself!! Spanks.=D

I agree that smoking H would be superior to smoking opium. A lot of tar H is sold as "opium" to people because heroin caries a negative social stigma. The easiest way to tell if you have tar heroin instead of opium is to see if it smells somewhat similar to vinegar. I've never actually seen opium for sale. It's pretty rare in the states even though poppies can successfully grow outdoors virtually anywhere in the country.

Very true on both points Sonic. I know of people who have been sold H while being told it's opium. I've also known people who will say anything to convince themselves they are getting opium instead of H because of the "negative social stigma".

sonic said:
A lot of tar H is sold as "opium" to people because heroin caries a negative social stigma. The easiest way to tell if you have tar heroin instead of opium is to see if it smells somewhat similar to vinegar.

Iv smoked lots of tar...............for the first 3years and it was good. But, it needs to be cooked up and shot into a vein.

The opium I had was terrible.. I smoked so much of it and got the tiniest teeze.. Im used to H .. is it that opium is just a lot weaker.?

No, you actually only need about two corn kernels' worth, from what I hear. Maybe what you had wasn't real opium; fake opium is common. I hear they sell this black, fake opium at festivals called soapium.

OPIUM IS NOT AS GOOD AS SMOKED HEROIN...

That said.

Opium tastes nice and heroin doesn't... so Opium has the win there.

Heroin has way more goodness in it... tar maybe not so much, but certainly more morphine than Opium.

I have consumed both extensively in the past. Heroin is a step up. A big step up.

Hey AllOver I'm with Jay123, I think if you only got the tiniest tease smoking "opium" with bud it was pprolly fake opium. maybe you do a lot of IV or even just intranasal dope I think that could cancel out the effects of opium. Cause I've had real opium twice, before ever snorting dope even and it had a definite effect, I felt it over the kind nugs we were smoking it on.. VERY DEFINITE effect, I'd smoked red rock and other fake opium that was dark and gummy and thought I was getting high, pretty easy to trick yourself into getting a placebo effect with weed and fake opm, esp being opiate naive. Having expierenced a decent handful of 7.5 mg vicodens at least before I smoked opm I knew it was real, that sleepy feeling and my eyes never felt that damn heavy off any nugs.

And to this

"I'm tempted to think it's a cooler high, because it's more than one chemical (morphine, codeine, thebaine, papaverine, and more) -- just like how people prefer actual marijuana over just the one cannabinoid, THC."

Yeah maybe those 18th century poets and writers never slammed a couple bags of #4 street dope.. if they had I bet they wouldn't have been so impressed with their opium adventures. And I read if you smoke just 1-5 mg of pure thc you halluccenate (how the fuck do I not know how to properly spell halucenate??) like a mofo. I mean how many people really get pure thc, I guess your talking about the people getting marional instead of pot for medical reasons, maybe they need the full range for their symptoms or maybe its a politcal I want my pot how I want it thing. They have Sativex spray with a more even spectrum of cannabinoids available in canada now.

Ok I'm done derailing your thread.. carry on..

bulldog8b said:
Never smoked opium, only smoked heroin once or twice for that matter, like others said, I like mine IV, thank you. Anyway, it seems most people here are saying smoking opium is a bum deal. Why then, the popularity of it in the 19th century and before? When I think of opium dens, I think of people smoking opium and nodding out, just like a bunch of IV heroin users sitting around. Are you just saying it is bunk compared to heroin or all around? 'Splain yourself!! Spanks.=D
Nobody? I don't understand why everybody here says smoking opium sucks but it used to be so (relatively) popular. Is it just that smoking heroin is that much better but opium is still good or what? 'splain it.

rachamim said:

There's definitely a huge difference between an opiate high and i.e. an LSD or peyote high. But I can see where Booth is coming from. I've noticed some pretty interesting changes in the way I perceive sound while opiated, and I can imagine the sort of images that might arise from staring at a candle flame while in the midst of a nice nod.