• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Older Students

ive been struggling with mental illness and eating disorders (and drugs) for the last decade. when i got sent to treatment for the first time i was 3 days away from my last final. two years later i did a semester for electives and i tried to finish that class but it was two years later, it was biomolecular chemistry and the class wasnt even offered that semester. i was fucked so i ended up failing the class and it was the last 3 credits i needed for my degree. well life continued and i was drifting in and out of jobs and doing horribly emotionally. im pretty smart and it was always shameful to me that i didnt finish. well, the last year i went through more hospital and placement in a shit hole facility. well, i got on a good dose of meds and maybe some magic happened because everything turned around. i was thinking clearly and was motivated to live life. so, i got a job (back in healthcare) and started thinking about school. i emailed a bunch of different people to see if i could take a course in chicago and have it count in wisconsin. after a month or so of emailing, i got a message from my old advisor- they had tweaked around w my transcript and substituted some classes and granted my degree- post dated to 2002 and i just got my diploma in the mail! ive always dreamed of becoming an md and i really want to go for it. so, im studying for the mcat and im gonna re-take some undergrad classes next year and then go on to a masters programmed to give you more academic umph for med school. its been 7yrs since i was in school and im now 30. im nervous and worried about med school still being 2yrs or so away and not getting into my caree until well into my 30s. sorry, that was a mouthfull. oh, btw, i look REALLY young for my age.

^^^
You don't need a master's to apply to medicine, I suggest you apply as soon as you're eligible (meeting the GPA and MCAT cutoffs). Any healthcare experience will pay off in spades for you. Applying to medschool is a long haul, I'm hoping I don't have to do it again next year.