• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Older Students

I'm on the tail end of a MMEd and will turn 36 next year. Was in late 20's when I finished my undergrad.

I've loved every minute of it. Knowledge is more of a continuum when you're a bit older and more exciting because of it.

Two thumbs way up.

mentaldentrising said:
I'm on the tail end of a MMEd and will turn 36 next year. Was in late 20's when I finished my undergrad.

I've loved every minute of it. Knowledge is more of a continuum when you're a bit older and more exciting because of it.

Two thumbs way up.

wow, congrats!! thats so cool... :D

I started college when I was 22, and am 24 now. I guess I only started about 3.5-4 years later than most people, so the age difference is small. I'd guess about 1/3 of the students are as old or older than I am. There are some people in their 40s and 50s and quite a few in their 30s. I look older than my actual age, I have a big bald spot on the top of my head and my face may look slightly older than the average 24 year old.

But i am glad i am doing it at this age as i am very serious about my studies and have no problem getting good grades, i've had the life experience of being in the real world working shitty jobs so i know what im here for.

Werd, I dropped out of college (not "uni" but COLLEGE) at 19, after getting my GED with minimal effort with my graduating HS class. I took one class at 17 with my neighbor as my teacher, haha for some reason that was the easiest class and the only 1 I got an A in haha LOL. The guy was really cool with me and made me think I would whizz through 2-4 years of college and get a degree no problem.. er wrong! I went full time, 4 classes, my freshman year, only passed 1 or 2 classes with a B and C, dropped the other 2 cause I woulda failed and got 2 F's on my average if not. Didn't go that winter semester cause I didn't want to waste anymore of my parents money.. Went back Sophmore year and took a 2nd year class in psychology, that was my best and esiest class 1st year, the 200 level psy class I took was a lot harder than the 100 level one I took freshman year, had a lot of essays to write and the 1st class was just reading the book and taking lots of multiple choice quizes and tests, the whole essay thing and long complicated thought out responses they wanted at the 200 level messed me up and I ended up dropping that and all the other 2-3 classes I took that year..

So I have a decent GPA (A/B ish), and I never took any F's on my record, got like 3 classes down if I do go back I think its 64 credits at 3 credits per class to get my associates at community college and then go somewhere better to get my bachlers degree so it looks better on job applications to have a good school on there. I kinda want to go for pharmacy tech, or pharmacist if I can apply myself that hard.. hahaha *laughs diabolicly with an evil grin* muh haha.

So yeah when I was there the 1st time most of the people were like 21-25 I'd say with some into their 30's and I felt like the younger one there, I think I'll like it more this time around being older (24), as I generally feel more and more comfortable in my own skin the older I get. Wouldn't mind hitting up some of those 18-20 y/o freshmen/sophmore girlies like the above poster.. hehehe, or some of those milfy 30 ish womens either.. yeah I gotta get back to school if only to score.. hehe LOL.

i'm 26 and just got back into school. it doesnt feel weird at all.

PinholeStar said:
Although this is a little disingenuous, as I did shamelessly exploit it to get laid on more than one occasion. Well it would've been rude not to, right!

GlassAss420 said:
Wouldn't mind hitting up some of those 18-20 y/o freshmen/sophmore girlies like the above poster.. hehehe, or some of those milfy 30 ish womens either.. yeah I gotta get back to school if only to score.. hehe LOL.

:D Hehe yep, I know exactly what you mean! There was one brainy-but-fashionable chick in one of my labs who was flirty with me -- one who made me realize that I'm very much into Jewish chicks. Pity I wasn't single any of the time I was in class as an older student. :!

Be careful, though. Picking up people in college/uni is always hit or miss. I imagine that when you're older than most of the students you're hitting on, the hits must be awesome, but the misses often end with a whole bunch of them seeing you as 'that sketchy old perv who takes classes with us' from then on.

Two years ago when I started my job at a university I decided to do a Diploma in Languages, with a major in German. On the first day when I turned up to the lecture I felt so old, and I was only 26 at the time! I had studied already at uni and I was frustrated with being in classes with those just out of high school. I didnt last a semester.

I am getting ready to turn 28 and graduating next semester. I can definitly feel out of place at times at school. Especially since I dont drink or party anymore. But hey I am alot more responsible now than I was then and get shit done while my younger peers around goof off and get horrible grades. I kinda laugh though because i have been their too.

24 and still have at least a year. Sometimes I definitely feel a little goofy and like a bit of a loser. But whateva, there are sometimes people who are alot older than me and I don't judge them.

I'm 24 and in my last semester. I dropped out a few years ago because of addiction and a desire to travel and see as many concerts as possible.

I can honestly say going back was one of the best and hardest decisions I made but I'm so glad I did. It may have saved my life to be honest.

im considering going to college at 21. the 1 thing i would find weird is living in a dorm with a bunch of younger kids. which leads me to a question, when you went back to college at a later age did you live in a dorm or get a place of your own? and how did it work out?

I had already been living in an apartment with my boyfriend. I know it's not a choice for some people, but that helped me to want to go back to school.

I would think living in a dorm would be kind of weird, personally.

Maitereya said:
im considering going to college at 21. the 1 thing i would find weird is living in a dorm with a bunch of younger kids. which leads me to a question, when you went back to college at a later age did you live in a dorm or get a place of your own? and how did it work out?

I basically lived in a dorm... I started at 21.

Because all the people that I was now hanging out with were 18-19, I just reversed my mental clock back a few years and just partied anyway ;) It didn't really make that much of a difference. The good thing was having that little bit more life experience/maturity to call on in certain situations, but usually you just go with the flow and have fun :)

CB :)

Frankly, I'll take a mid-twenties study group/workgroup partner over other college kids. I don't feel like I have to pretend I'm still in high school to talk to them.

captainballs said:
Frankly, I'll take a mid-twenties study group/workgroup partner over other college kids. I don't feel like I have to pretend I'm still in high school to talk to them.

Seconded.

Plus the work ethic tends to be stronger. They know why they're there and what they have to do.

^^ ditto

if i reversed my mental clock and partied (like i did when i was actually in school) it would be a waste of my time. i'd prefer to be around like-minded people instead of partiers.

Chaos Butterfly said:
, I just reversed my mental clock back a few years and just partied anyway ;) CB :)

he sure did :)

did the first week of study for social work the other day, wow so many of the ppl in other degrees are very young while alot of the SW students are 30+.

listening to beach boys while having a sausage sizzle was about as exciting as o week got for this place..... there i was expecting an animal house like event ;)

Last edited:
I'm regular age but I got some 40-50 year olds in my classes, it ain't weird to me and they are usually really cool people

I worked for a few years then went back to school as a sophmore at 25. I knew other people who were 25 year old freshmen tho

I'm one of the "younger generation" mentioned in this thread: I went directly from high school to college on my parents money and have never had a real job (one that I couldn't quit if I became even slightly annoyed).

That said, I had so much fun in high school that college is boring in comparison. And yet most of my classmates.. it's as if they've never partied before. And they don't take school seriously, and most of my friends have failed out or are close to it.

So I love the older students at my school. They are usually in their mid 20's to early 30's and almost always in the top of my class, academically. They don't tell lame stories about getting fucked up after four beers over the weekend. Now that I think about it, all of my friends here are 25+...