• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

help with a methadone detox?

wow, just wanted to say, its been 48 hours since I have used the oxy, and 22 since I have used the methadone, and I feel pretty okay. I am on some adderall which might be making me feel better than i would, but this methadone is freaking awesome. I think I'm only gonna dose 25mg tonight, then drop it 5mg every other day. I ended up getting some extra so I can stay at each increment a day longer if necessary.

Thanks again for all the help!

Edit: With all the info you guys gave me, I came up with a methadone tapering regiment for one of my good friends who is also trying to get off OxyContin. He is beyond ecstatic at the possibility of being off Oxy in around 2 weeks. So he thanks you all as well.

oh one quick question, my dose time is now, but I only have half of it with me, and I'm getting the other half in a couple hours. Is it ok to take half now, and half in a few hours? Or is it better just to wait until I have the full dose?

If you can't stand it, take a dose now, otherwise, hold off, to keep your blood levels reasonably level.

So it has been 3 days since I quit Oxy, and so far I have dosed 30mg, 30mg, and 25mg, with the methadone. I feel perfectly fine and haven't even had the slightest hint of withdrawal from the Oxy. Should I drop my dose faster than I had planned? (5mg every other day) I want to take the least amount of methadone possible. Would it be better to take 15mg tomorrow? then continue dropping 5mg every other day? Or will I pay later on for doing this?

Noone can answer that question. If it were me though I would stick with tried and true. Why fix it if it is not broken, right?

Just an update: I am on day 8 of my detox and down from 30mg/day to 10mg/day of methadone. Gonna drop it down for another 7 days (10mg, 7.5mg, 7.5mg, 5mg, 5mg, 2.5mg, 2.5mg, ZERO) and then use xanax as needed for restlessness (my least favorite acute/PAWS symptom). So far this has been a walk in the park. I have felt absolutley zero cravings or withdrawal, and really have had no desire to get high, which I see as being different from a craving. Once again, I must thank all of you that answered for the very informative help given. PEACE

PS. Does my taper sound okay, or do you guys think I should drop the 2 days of 7.5mg thus shortening the remaining taper to 5 days? Another option would be to extend the time that I take 2.5mg. One option I was considering at the end of my taper was 5mg, 5mg, 2.5mg, 2.5mg, ZERO, 2.5mg, ZERO, 2.5mg, ZERO, ZERO, 2.5mg, ZERO, ZERO, 2.5mg, END

Am I being overly critical with my taper by possibly adding something trivial that will make no difference and only prolong with withdrawal, or will this make the detox easier? The one thing that keeps nagging my mind is the fact that so many people find that the last few mg of methadone is the hardest part, although they were probably on it for MUCH longer than I was, and thus wont be an issue in my scenario.