• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Urb597

FAAH inhibiton by kitself does not produce recreational effects from what i have read

that's pretty much what I thought. Odd that it has AD effects, though.

how big of a role can endocannabinoids play in depression? They're not exactly euphoric by itself.

Lots of threads on this, I posed one recently. Seems like it might be a neat compound

A McGill University study suggests a new anti-depressant drug works by raising levels of endocannabinoids -- similar to a substance found in marijuana.

The study suggests the new drug, called URB597, might represent a safer alternative to use of marijuana for treatment of pain and depression, and open the door to new and improved treatments for clinical depression.

In pre-clinical laboratory tests researchers found URB597 increased the production of endocannabinoids by blocking their degradation, resulting in measurable antidepressant effects.

"This is the first time it has been shown a drug that increases endocannabinoids in the brain can improve your mood," said lead investigator Dr. Gabriella Gobbi, a researcher at Montreal and McGill Universities.

The researchers, including scientists from the University of California-Irvine, were able to measure serotonin and noradrenaline activity as a result of the increased endocannabinoids.

"The results were similar to the effect we might expect from the use of commonly prescribed antidepressants, which are effective on only around 30 percent of the population," said Gobbi. "Our discovery strengthens the case for URB597 as a safer, non-addictive, non-psychotropic alternative to cannabis for the treatment of pain and depression."

I have yet to see any human tests of FAAH inhibitors, though they do appear to be antinociceptive in rats.

"The results were similar to the effect we might expect from the use of commonly prescribed antidepressants, which are effective on only around 30 percent of the population," said Gobbi. "Our discovery strengthens the case for URB597 as a safer, non-addictive, non-psychotropic alternative to cannabis for the treatment of pain and depression."

I thought the efficacy of almost all (coincidentally) anti-depressants was usually put around 70%

I find the notion of drugs like this, and also cannabinoid reuptake inhibitors very exciting (the cannabinoid system in the body has extremely voracious active reuptake, likely on account of how endo-cannabinoids' highly lipophilic structures allow for extremely wide diffusion of the compounds). This should allow for the discovery of abjectly novel types of altered states. Think of how different various types of 5ht ligants, reuptake inhibitors, and releasers feel from one another...

ebola

I'd rather try 2-octyl-gamma-bromoacetoacetone simply for the fact that it is endogenous.

Here is a quote about URB597.

"For me after first researchers it works perfectly as relax and sleep enhacer at the evening. After oral 1-2mg for my rat he was sleeping after 30min with nice morning , good funny mood :) also his apetite went up! SO IT CAN BE GREAT FOR ANY KIND OF DEPRESIONS or "AFTER E" for fast recovery, +APETITE UP AFTER ANY STIMULATION !

After 5mg rat was sleeping really hard! Almost impossible to move and turn off light and tv in middle of night...really sleppy and lazy....at morning he was also lazy for 2-3hours after clock alarm. "

also, this person does have some incentive to be biased about it. FYI
I'm sure more reports will come in the next few weeks.

I thought the efficacy of almost all (coincidentally) anti-depressants was usually put around 70%

Stahl, for example says 67% of patients respond to any given AD, so that is about 70 percent. I can see the definition of respond and effective being quite different. This means, you can basically make up any definition and make outragious claims without actually lying.

Here is a quote about URB597.

"For me after first researchers it works perfectly as relax and sleep enhacer at the evening. After oral 1-2mg for my rat he was sleeping after 30min with nice morning , good funny mood :) also his apetite went up! SO IT CAN BE GREAT FOR ANY KIND OF DEPRESIONS or "AFTER E" for fast recovery, +APETITE UP AFTER ANY STIMULATION !

After 5mg rat was sleeping really hard! Almost impossible to move and turn off light and tv in middle of night...really sleppy and lazy....at morning he was also lazy for 2-3hours after clock alarm. "

also, this person does have some incentive to be biased about it. FYI
I'm sure more reports will come in the next few weeks.

Interesting, I talked to someone a while back who had tried the stuff and didn't have any vested commercial interest in selling it, and they said it had effects that were vaguely cannabinoid-like but very very mild and didn't really get any stronger with increased doses. Amazing how incentives to be biased can affect the subjective effects experienced ;)

Stahl, for example says 67% of patients respond to any given AD, so that is about 70 percent. I can see the definition of respond and effective being quite different. This means, you can basically make up any definition and make outragious claims without actually lying.

Hehe true, I guess the number of people who have some response to antidepressants must be pretty much 100%. I know I do, without being depressed.

interesting this rc has a novel route to cannabinoid like effects and anti depressant research. I'll be following this thread to see those promised experiences appear ;).

If recreational effects consist of healthy sleep and next day good mood it won't be on most ppl's party supply hotlist, flying low on the radar and preventing urgent steps from repressive governments. I'm def. interested in to find if any build-up of effects is needed ( like ssri's) and if the 'feel' of urb597 is a natural one. The way it works should account for a natural feel right?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20850463
Abstract
We have recently shown that chronic THC administration in adolescent female rats induces subtle but lasting alterations in the emotional circuit ending in depressive-like behaviour at adulthood. Here we describe other relevant depressive-like symptoms present in these animals. Adult female rats pretreated with THC display passive coping strategy towards acute stressful situations as demonstrated by their behaviours in the first session of the forced swim test, develop a profound anhedonic state as demonstrated by the reduced consumption of palatable food and present a decrease in social functioning. Besides the emotional symptoms, adolescent exposure to THC induced a significant deficit in object recognition memory. Since it has been reported that deficits in adult hippocampal neurogenesis may underlie the cognitive dysfunction seen in depression, we then survey cell proliferation in the dentate gyrus of the hippocampus. Adolescent THC exposure significantly reduced the number of BrdU-positive cells in THC-treated rats as well as hippocampal volume. We suggest that this complex depressive-like phenotype is triggered by a long-lasting decrease in CB1 receptor functionality in specific brain regions. To test whether an increase in the endocannabinoid signalling could ameliorate the depressive phenotype, adult female rats pre-exposed to THC were injected with URB597 (0.3mg/kg ip) and then tested in behavioural assays. URB597 was able to reverse most depressive-like symptoms induced by adolescent THC exposure such as the passive coping strategy observed in THC exposed animals in the forced swim test as well as anhedonia and the reduced social activity. These results support a role for the endocannabinoid system in the neurobiology of depression and suggest the use of URB597 as a new therapeutic tool with antidepressant properties.
First time I read about the depressing effects of chronic thc-use - mind you, in teen ladyrats. I've been told so by medics before and common sense pointed this negative effects out to me and others, but generally this waseasily dismissed by most weedsmokers as not applying to their holy sacrament. Drugs lead to all kinds of denial IMHO, I tend to be biased towards positive effects as well.
sorry for the offtopic, peace

I'd rather try 2-octyl-gamma-bromoacetoacetone simply for the fact that it is endogenous.

acetoacetate?

I thought endogenous organohalides were rare. Thyroid hormones have several iodides. What else?