• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Caffeine & ADD/ADHD - Makes you tired?

JesseHolmz

Greenlighter
i've been a long time reader of Bluelight but never had anything to post about until now. how many of you guys agree that Caffeine makes you tired if you have ADD or ADHD? my psychiatrist has told me the same thing.

When I drink caffeine (coffee) now it just wakes me up, which is the only reason I would ever drink it.
BUT, when I was much younger, in the 6th grade, I was very hyperactive, I was the poster child for ADHD. My teacher told my parents to have me drink a soda every morning before school. And you know what, it worked, to some extent, to calm me down. Make me tired, no, but make my outbursts/wandering attention less frequent, yes.

A small amount of caffeine, equivalent to maybe a standard cop of coffee, wakes and cheers me up while taking any more than that just gives a prominent headache and makes me tired and sleepy. Never been hyperactive in my life though.

It's been long known that the ADD-Stimulant "paradox" is absolute bosh and used to push stimulant drugs on hyperactive kids.

I was diagnosed with ADD at one point and would say that in large amounts caffeine does make me feel sluggish and tired but tends to keep me from actually getting to sleep.

I have ADD (sans hyperactivity) and I have been drinking coffee daily since the age of 10. After so many years of dependence, I find that caffeine has relatively little effect on me; however, it tends to make me tired shortly after consumption, with very mild stimulant effects later on (these effects only last a hour or two). It is not particularly effective for increasing the classic features of attention: focus, prepotent inhibition and working memory--at least for me. And of course, large doses of caffeine just make me peripherally tweaked and end up giving me knots (or butterflies, if you prefer) in the gut. Methylphenidate feels vaguely similar--except that, unlike caffeine, it is effective for increasing attention.

Riemann describes my experience pretty much. If I take large doses it can make me somewhat tweaked, in a bad and paradoxically "lethargic" way, and cause a little bit of nausea and nervousness.

I know a guy who completely sober is really hyperactive. If he takes benzos or alcohol he becomes even more of a hyper mess. Speed and coke make him chill as hell. Its really odd.

Ya I have ADD and coffee makes me tired too, not always sedated but definately never anti-fatigue

I notice that coffee can often have the opposite effect and make me tired as well. I don't know if I'm ADD/ADHD and could care less. Luckily I grew up before the mass drugging of children became an accepted part of society. If I were growing up today, I am pretty certain I'd be a good candidate for the drug pushers.

Aside from taking something I was told was speed once during high school, I haven't used any strong stimulants in my life. I'll be giving desoxypipradol a go in a bit, so I'll see how that works for me.

i don't know if i have ADHD/ADD but i also get tired after coffee. Infact, i had a nice sleep after i poured myself a very strong coffee yesterday afternoon :/

I have ADHD. Coffee doesnt make me tired, it just relaxes me. If I take codeine or sleep medication I get really hyper and antsy.

It is extremely immature of those of you who think ADD/ADHD is a hoax or is just an excuse to get pills. Yes, I agree, it is sometimes over diagnosed especially in younger children. But for adults with bad ADHD like myself, the medication is a necessity to complete everyday tasks like reading, work, school, conversations etc. It has been proven that activity levels in parts of the brain in ADHD adults and non ADHD is different. And then scans were done after administering things like caffeine, concerta adderal and other ADHD meds and the results were reversed (Non adhd now had activity where the adhd people had activity in the first test) It was also proven that ADHD adults typically have higher heart rates.

I have ADHD(but i've not been diagnosed but by myself)
Yes, Caffeine makes me sleepy and i was wondering on making a substitute of methylphenydate using caffeine stimulant effects.
That would take some studies on the correct dosage and creating a extended release of the pill.
I'll get some methylphenydate on january when I meet with my psychyatrist and he diagnose me ADHD, but now i'm sticking up with coffee dissolved on water.

anybody here categorized as ADHD- predominantly inattentive (ADHD-I or ADHD-PI)

(non-hyperactive ADD)

I love how many people here have ADD.

Yeah sure I had ADD once, it was mainly to get a prescription for dexedrine and concerta back in highschool though.

Coffee only starts making me tired if I drink it non-stop.

i have ADHD and get methylphenidate for it.

If i have (ab)used my methylphenidate prior to the prescription to be filled in i usually try to substitute it with coffee. I don't seem notice it to do anything but i still cannot go on without it? I keep drinking coffee from waking up to going to bed. So it must do something? Or maybe just placebo?

Acyl said:
I love how many people here have ADD.

Yeah sure I had ADD once, it was mainly to get a prescription for dexedrine and concerta back in highschool though.

Coffee only starts making me tired if I drink it non-stop.

Well that would qualify as abuse then;
at any rate, I only accept stimulants as prescription b/c witht htem i get straight As and rarely do drugs, and without them I do very poorly in school and cause trouble get arrested, smoke weed and abuse alc and other drugs all the time.

It's a great help to a lot of people who have adhd so I hope u weren't implying that everyone is just scamming meds like u were(sorry if that's not what u were doing, i don't really get what u ment by mainly, if u actually have adhd then cool fine my mistake)....

lol at any rate we're all friends :)

Caffeine can either wake me up or not, depending... I've fallen asleep after eating a gram though, I dunno, it's a pretty bad stimulant.

I wasnt implying that.

And yeah, I did fake the "disorder" so I could get the prescription. Im sure Ive got it to a certain extent... I cant focus, even now.

Im trying to avoid using stims other than caffeine to help me though.