• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Best way to treat missed IV shot of Suboxone

A collapse happens over time, it has to do with vein damage and how they heal. Over time they just "disappear," it's not like they go out with a bang.

Like I said, the bruising is most likely caused from vein damage or hitting a valve. It's too soon to know whether the current damage caused a collapse or not. He'll have to wait until all the inflammation and bruising goes away.

If it's collapsed or not, he should avoid hitting that vein for a few months at least.

Edit: Did he register? Did he take the tourniquet off before before depressing the plunger?

same thing happened to me (minus the benadryl) a week ago. Shot was in my hand. They do swell but if it is getting smaller, it is not an abcess, i have had one before, NO SELF SURGERY. go to ER and say it was a bug bite, if you are in the suburbs they will believe you. I did it in a major us city once and got a perc script for it :)

BTW shooting in the foot is dangerous because of all the bacteria on your feet. Shooting sub sucks too i know from personal experience (unless mixed with midazolam)

update? How long has it been since this happened, and what does the spot look like now?

Is the lump sore? Is it really hard, like a knot?

What I don't understand, is if the vein was collapsed, then blood shouldnt have registered when he pulled back on the plunger. Are you thinking that the vein collasped right as he was injecting.

Only going on the information you've provided so far, it sounds like your buddy isnt going to need to start cutting his foot open (please dont let him do that) since the lump has already decreased in size significantly.

Oh, and quick question to add: Deep bruising usually is NOT associated with an abscess, right? or wrong? I've never had an abscess, (halle-fucking-lujah) but i'm just wondering..

robatussin said:
same thing happened to me (minus the benadryl) a week ago. Shot was in my hand. They do swell but if it is getting smaller, it is not an abcess, i have had one before, NO SELF SURGERY. go to ER and say it was a bug bite, if you are in the suburbs they will believe you. I did it in a major us city once and got a perc script for it :)

LOL THATS PIMP!!!!!

IForgett said:
^ its ok. Me too, its a frustrating situation and I over reacted.

The only reason Im asking about this is because of how huge the lump was and the way it came about. It actually looked like 4 or 5ml of solution had built up under the skin, while only .6 or .7ml were used, and it only appeard AFTER the needle was pulled out. There was no burning and no development of a lump while shooting, everything occured afterwards, which makes me think it has to be a collapsed vein.

Also, I just found out that this is a fresh injection site. He shoots in his foot, but hasnt touched this specific spot/vein in a couple months, but it has been used before.

I dont know what to make of it. I guess time will tell. Thanks to everybody. Anymore replies are still welcome.

Yeah give it a couple of hours or wait until the morning before going to the hospital over it................ Probably just a small lump from a shot that he partially hit and partially missed................:( FRUSTERATING

robatussin said:
BTW shooting in the foot is dangerous because of all the bacteria on your feet. Shooting sub sucks too i know from personal experience (unless mixed with midazolam)

It's also dangerous due to the decreased circulation there. That's why wounds take longer to heal on your feet. :)

Ok, so it's not a collapsed vein because he hasnt been using this injection site frequently, and I dont think it's an abscess because the size has significantly decreased. Weird! Like methacontin said, its gotta be a (partially) missed shot, and the decision to go to the hospital should depend on whether the lump get progressively worse or better. Let us know what happens because im interested to see how this works out.

that sucks I've only IV'd 5-10 times and have missed a few and whatever happened, swelling, redness, severe histamine release, etc. subsided in 24 hours, I don't think u should worry too much

phrozen said:
A collapse happens over time, it has to do with vein damage and how they heal. Over time they just "disappear," it's not like they go out with a bang.

Like I said, the bruising is most likely caused from vein damage or hitting a valve. It's too soon to know whether the current damage caused a collapse or not. He'll have to wait until all the inflammation and bruising goes away.

If it's collapsed or not, he should avoid hitting that vein for a few months at least.

Edit: Did he register? Did he take the tourniquet off before before depressing the plunger?

Yeah, it must not be a collapsed vein then. No tourniquet was used, so that wont have anything to do with it. And yeah, he did register, multiple times throughout the shot in fact, and got blood every time. This is too strange.

SPUNK said:
update? How long has it been since this happened, and what does the spot look like now?

Is the lump sore? Is it really hard, like a knot?

What I don't understand, is if the vein was collapsed, then blood shouldnt have registered when he pulled back on the plunger. Are you thinking that the vein collasped right as he was injecting.

Only going on the information you've provided so far, it sounds like your buddy isnt going to need to start cutting his foot open (please dont let him do that) since the lump has already decreased in size significantly.

Oh, and quick question to add: Deep bruising usually is NOT associated with an abscess, right? or wrong? I've never had an abscess, (halle-fucking-lujah) but i'm just wondering..

This happend at 4pm today, eastern time, or 2 hours ago. The lump is soft and not sore, just a mushy lump. I was thinking the vein collapsed either while shooting or AFTER the needle was removed, because there were no signs of a lump until the needle came out of his foot, thats when the lump began to form. The thing is, I didnt see it happen, so I dont know if he just didnt notice until after the needle came out, but he said he was watching the whole time because hes nervous shooting up in his foot for this reason and that he didnt see anything until AFTER the needle came out.

I definitley will not let him cut it open. I told him since its gone down considerably since it first formed that its probably nothing to worry about. I wish I had a camera, this thing was huge. It was about the size of half a golf ball. Thats what is weird though, if it was a miss, it wouldnt be that big because .6 or .7ml were used, and it looked like 3 to 5 ml big.

Ive only ever seen an abscess turn red. Ive never seen a bruise associated with one. Thats another thing about this, the lumps gotten smaller and is a deep purple color now.

SPUNK said:
Ok, so it's not a collapsed vein because he hasnt been using this injection site frequently, and I dont think it's an abscess because the size has significantly decreased. Weird! Like methacontin said, its gotta be a (partially) missed shot, and the decision to go to the hospital should depend on whether the lump get progressively worse or better. Let us know what happens because im interested to see how this works out.

Weird for sure. I dont even know if it was a partial miss because it never burned or lumped while shooting, and the fact that a partial miss would be less than the .6 or .7 ml used, more like .1 or .2 ml would constitute a partial miss. Also, consider the fact he felt effects from the bupe/diphenhydramine, so if a significant amount was missed, he wouldnt have felt it.

I guess for now were just going to keep an eye on it. I wish I just knew what the hell it was, its very odd.

Ill be sure to keep you all updated.

The only reason Im asking about this is because of how huge the lump was and the way it came about. It actually looked like 4 or 5ml of solution had built up under the skin, while only .6 or .7ml were used, and it only appeard AFTER the needle was pulled out. There was no burning and no development of a lump while shooting, everything occured afterwards, which makes me think it has to be a collapsed vein.
That's really weird man.

I've witnessed shots of heroin that were worse when missed than suboxone, surprisingly enough.

Thanks phrozen for the advice. :)