• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Best way to treat missed IV shot of Suboxone

sixpartseven

Bluelight Crew
Pretty much what the title says. A 1cc solution of buprenorphine/diphenhydramine was inteded to be shot in the foot. While injecting, he didnt notice any lump forming or any burning sensation indicating the shot was being missed. After removing the needle from his vein, a large lump formed. We assume its probably a collapsed vein that either caused blood to lump up, or the solution didnt make it in to the vein and somehow only began to lump after the needle was removed. Also, when the needle was removed, a significant amount of blood poured out of the vein on to his foot, enough blood to roll off the foot and leave quite a stain, lots more than what usually comes out when you remove a needle from a vein, leading me to believe even further that its just a collapsed vein.

Any advice on what to do now or how likely it is that an abscess will form? I know the foot is a terrible place to miss a shot due to lack of fat and muscle, so its more likely an abscess will form, but how likely? Going to the hospital is going to be a last resort as of right now. Im assuming (and hoping) its just a collapsed vein, but any advice or comments are greatly welcomed. If it is a missed shot, how bad would it be to eventually just cut it open and drain it on his own? Hes had an abscess treated at the hospital before and knows roughly how to do it, and of course we wouldnt attempt it if we dont have the necessary equipment to be sterile.

Also, if it is a collapsed vein, how harmful could that be? As I said, its a vein in my friends foot, one of the larger ones on the top of the foot.

OUCH!!!!! There's really NOTHING you can do once you miss a shot like that.......... Dosent sound like a collapsed vein is sounds like A COLLAPSED PLAN TO HET HIGH......... LOL :)

Sounds like a collapsed attempt to be funny.

Please, if you dont have advice or anything intelligent to say, ignore this. This is kind of serious and Id appreciate serious responses.

IForgett said:
Sounds like a collapsed attempt to be funny.

Please, if you dont have advice or anything intelligent to say, ignore this. This is kind of serious and Id appreciate serious responses.

LOL dont get mad cuz you missed YOUR SHOT BUDDY. It's NOT OUR FAULT ITS YOURS......................:)

Ouch :( Not good...sorry to hear that happened.

Best thing he can do for the time being is to run the area under hot water for a bit and then apply pressure with a hot towel.

Afterwards he should definitely go out and get a topical antibiotic ointment to put on the area, like Neosporin or something similar.

If it looks any worse in a couple days, get him to the doctor.

MethaContin said:
LOL dont get mad cuz you missed YOUR SHOT BUDDY. It's NOT OUR FAULT ITS YOURS......................:)

Im not mad, because I didnt miss anything. A friend of mine did. And no, its not anyones fault but his own, IF he even missed it. If you would have actually read through my whole first post and not come up with a stupid one liner based on what the subject line says, you would see the four million times where I said its probably a collapsed vein. And last time I checked Bluelight was a forum you go to to get information regarding drugs and minimizing harm when using them, which is exactly what Im trying to do right now. If you got a problem with that, Im sure there is a message board out there somewhere that lets you make not funny jokes about other peoples health concerns.

Back on topic, eon_blue, thank you. That is good advice and Im gonna have my buddy do that.

i love the 'Friend of mine did' Excuse............... Its SOOOOOOO old..........

Doesn't really sound like a collapsed vein to me. Just sleep on it, they usually look a lot better by morning.

^lol, touche IForgett....

what was the shot like, ive shot suboxone before but never with benedryl in the same rig...was the solution thick and cloudy or anything? cause you have to worry about particulate being in the shot which will in turn get pushed into the muscle or areas around the vein.

if the lump doesnt change in a few days i would prolly conisder doing a little explorative surgery...nothing crazy, but i would prolly cut into it a little bit using a sterile needle or something...see if there is anything built up like when an abcess starts to form, puss and any other discharge. obviously this isnt great advice or anything but its prolly what id do. if it seemed like there was going to be a nasty abcess id say fuck it and go to the ER.

i dont know much about collapsed veins, but i would guess if the vein was collapsed you wouldnt have been able to get into it in the first place. form what ive seen collapsed veins are just that, collapsed...

it just sounds like you missed the shot and have it under the skin on your foot...like i said tho, in a few days if its still the same size or ti starts to hurt, maybe check it out a little and if it looks bad, go to the ER.

MethaContin said:
i love the 'Friend of mine did' Excuse............... Its SOOOOOOO old..........

Im not going to argue with you, but I dont have such a huge ego to where I cant admit that I missed a shot. Read through my other posts, Im sure youll find at least 10 where I talk about the many shots Ive missed. If you have anything else to say, you can direct those thoughts straight up your ass, unless its something relevant to the topic.

xxanxxtwo said:
May I ask why the foot was chosen as the injection site?

The veins in his arm and hand arent usable. Its been a couple years of needle abuse and the only viable veins he has left are in his foot.

IForgett said:
Pretty much what the title says. A 1cc solution of buprenorphine/diphenhydramine was inteded to be shot in the foot. While injecting, he didnt notice any lump forming or any burning sensation indicating the shot was being missed. After removing the needle from his vein, a large lump formed. We assume its probably a collapsed vein that either caused blood to lump up, or the solution didnt make it in to the vein and somehow only began to lump after the needle was removed. Also, when the needle was removed, a significant amount of blood poured out of the vein on to his foot, enough blood to roll off the foot and leave quite a stain, lots more than what usually comes out when you remove a needle from a vein, leading me to believe even further that its just a collapsed vein.

Any advice on what to do now or how likely it is that an abscess will form? I know the foot is a terrible place to miss a shot due to lack of fat and muscle, so its more likely an abscess will form, but how likely? Going to the hospital is going to be a last resort as of right now. Im assuming (and hoping) its just a collapsed vein, but any advice or comments are greatly welcomed. If it is a missed shot, how bad would it be to eventually just cut it open and drain it on his own? Hes had an abscess treated at the hospital before and knows roughly how to do it, and of course we wouldnt attempt it if we dont have the necessary equipment to be sterile.

Also, if it is a collapsed vein, how harmful could that be? As I said, its a vein in my friends foot, one of the larger ones on the top of the foot.

EWWW and TELL YOUR FRIEND, DONT TRY TO REMOVE ABSCESSES, BY YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!

EVEN WITH STERILE EQUIPMENT, IT WILL PROBABLY DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD..............

I see. The veins in your feet are prone to collapse/all sorts of problems. Do keep an eye on the situation....

Weird that he didn't notice any burning. It sounds like he left the tourniquet on and it leaked out...

Anyway, he should apply a warm compress on the miss. That'll help with the absorption. After that, he could use some antibiotic cream. Tell him to keep an eye on it and if it gets worse after a few days, he should seek medical attention.

medicine cabinet said:
^lol, touche IForgett....

what was the shot like, ive shot suboxone before but never with benedryl in the same rig...was the solution thick and cloudy or anything? cause you have to worry about particulate being in the shot which will in turn get pushed into the muscle or areas around the vein.

if the lump doesnt change in a few days i would prolly conisder doing a little explorative surgery...nothing crazy, but i would prolly cut into it a little bit using a sterile needle or something...see if there is anything built up like when an abcess starts to form, puss and any other discharge. obviously this isnt great advice or anything but its prolly what id do. if it seemed like there was going to be a nasty abcess id say fuck it and go to the ER.

i dont know much about collapsed veins, but i would guess if the vein was collapsed you wouldnt have been able to get into it in the first place. form what ive seen collapsed veins are just that, collapsed...

it just sounds like you missed the shot and have it under the skin on your foot...like i said tho, in a few days if its still the same size or ti starts to hurt, maybe check it out a little and if it looks bad, go to the ER.

Yeah, it was pretty cloudy. The way we prepped them was first dissolve the DPH (diphenhydramine) into a solution, filter a couple times, then dissolve 2mg suboxone in that solution, filter a couple more times. The lump has already gone down to about a quarter the size it was and looks like a huge bruise, leading me to believe it was a collapsed vein. Also, the vein was fine before the shot, but the needle was a small gauge and the vein wasnt very big, so when the needle came out or went in it must have caused it to collapse.

We are considering "explorative surgery" if we feel its necessary.

The thing that makes me think its ok is how quickly the lump got smaller and the fact that effects were felt immediatley after shooting, right before the needle was pulled out, which is definitley a good sign. Thanks for the advice.

phrozen said:
Weird that he didn't notice any burning. It sounds like he left the tourniquet on and it leaked out...

Anyway, he should apply a warm compress on the miss. That'll help with the absorption. After that, he could use some antibiotic cream. Tell him to keep an eye on it and if it gets worse after a few days, he should seek medical attention.

No tourniquet was used. The veins on his fit stick out very well without it.

I have him with a warm compress on it right now. As I said, the size is going down, so, so far so good. We'll keep an eye on it, and before he leaves Im gonna have him put antibiotic cream on it. Thanks phrozen.

Veins don't collapse after one shot. It sounds like he either went through it, damaged it, or hit a valve.

I'd advise against self surgery. It's not worth it. Just go to an emergency room or free clinic if it gets any worse.

phrozen said:
Veins don't collapse after one shot. It sounds like he either went through it, damaged it, or hit a valve.

I'd advise against self surgery. It's not worth it. Just go to an emergency room or free clinic if it gets any worse.

Agreed, Self Surgery is GOING TO ONLY DO YOU HARM BUD..............

phrozen said:

The vein has been used for the past few months. Its not a fresh injection spot. And I dont agree with self surgery either, he says if he has to, then he wants to, but Im advising against it.

MethaContin said:
Agreed, Self Surgery is GOING TO ONLY DO YOU HARM BUD..............

Again, Its not me. Id have no problem admiting that I missed a shot, but thanks for your input anyways.

IForgett said:
The vein has been used for the past few months. Its not a fresh injection spot. And I dont agree with self surgery either, he says if he has to, then he wants to, but Im advising against it.

Again, Its not me. Id have no problem admiting that I missed a shot, but thanks for your input anyways.

No I meant its only going to do harm to the SITUATION, Iam sorry for being a dick before................... Self surgery is like self mutilation..............

^ its ok. Me too, its a frustrating situation and I over reacted.

The only reason Im asking about this is because of how huge the lump was and the way it came about. It actually looked like 4 or 5ml of solution had built up under the skin, while only .6 or .7ml were used, and it only appeard AFTER the needle was pulled out. There was no burning and no development of a lump while shooting, everything occured afterwards, which makes me think it has to be a collapsed vein.

Also, I just found out that this is a fresh injection site. He shoots in his foot, but hasnt touched this specific spot/vein in a couple months, but it has been used before.

I dont know what to make of it. I guess time will tell. Thanks to everybody. Anymore replies are still welcome.