• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

TOUR - Big Day Out - Aust and NZ - Jan 08 REVIEWS!

^ I saw those mushroom style urinals at Summafieldayze last year. Genius I tell ya! :D

Wow, Gold Coast BDO, what a huge day... arrived early and stocked up on drink tickets (15 of the fuckers, stuff lining up twice!). Highlight was seeing Brand New - they are fucking amazing... lowlight was definitely Silverchair, what a fucking twat Daniel Johns is. Any idea why he spent the entire set talking in an american accent? And spending 5 minutes woefully attempting to get crowd participation going. Vomit. Couldn't get close enough to see Rage, and could only just hear them so we didn't even bother sticking around. Could actually hear the people around us talking over the music :( All in all a great day and I'm glad I was off work today to recover!

^Yeah, I did hear that people at the back couldn't hear. I wouldn't know as I was right up the front and they sounded sick. One of the best BDO sets I've ever seen. I was pretty messed up at the time though, however plenty of others loved the set too.

I only heard Silverchair on the way to the Boiler Room. After The Great Divide tour they lost me. Too emo IMHO.

fuck yeah bdo was awesome i took yesterday and today off work to recover and i need it..carl cox was awesome and so was ratm and dizzee rascal i was so dam chopped just bouncing around all night and even went out clubbing after big day out it was so dam fun.

i just came back from the sydney festival bjork gig. fucking AWESOME show man. her voice is stunning and the instruments used are incredible.
a mate saw rage in their solo show last night and came tonight and said that even though rage played really well, their show doesn't come close to bjork's.

her music is too good to be in the middle of rock bands in a mass event, but if you're there, try to change gears enough to appreciate it. it is so fuckin worth it.

F@#$%ing hell I wasn't going to rainbow for one reason!

bjork! and now she cancels!

Very dissapointed with Bjork cancelling

Meh, Still, will make the most of tomorrow

scratch my last comment. i misunderstood. oh shit she canceled her sydney bdo show. shit, i was still considering looking for a ticket last minute but now....

fuck i'd be so unbelievably upset if i were relying on the bdo to see her. sorry guys. :(:(:(

the gold coast big day out was quite an experience for me...

i was very inebriated, but that isnt what this thread is for.

If your not seeing Dizzee Rascal in your selected state, please go see Enter Shikari, they are an hardcore band that throw trance into their music, they were fuckin amazing, and they were so powerful on stage.

PNAU is a must see, they were very much the party act of the day, the place went berzerk.

In most states you have the clash of LCD v RATM, and obviously RATM is going to win.

LCD opened pretty good, but i got sucked into the tube of people leaving to go to Rage...

Rage were ok, but the sound was shit where i was, so i had to get to a higher point.

Sydney V Gold Coast big day out.

I guess, being out of my comfort zone was something i didnt like at the gold coast, not knowing where stages were, not knowing where toilets were, and not having that meeting place with your mates.

BUT

the gold coast did have, mud, and grass and just filth everywhere which is what i think is a vital part of a festival, not walking around on concrete all day.

sydney is today, i dont plan on going, but you never know, i might just walk up at about 8ish and see if i can walk in.

^^^

interesting.

Apparntly she has cut back her bdo due to straining/swollen vocal chords. Fair enough imho. It she doesnt rest it could wreck her voice all together.

she pulled out of sydney today...

they are hoping she is back for melb on monday...

[Cross-posted from my blog]

Let me begin my assuring my lovely readers there was a LOT of positives to this years' Big Day Out.

Including but not limited to;
  • Excellent processing of guests on entrance. Little to no congestion and a great wrist-banding / bag-checking / ID checking procedure meant it took little to no time to enter*.
  • The wide variety of food on offer, including Krishna platters. Love my Krishna food, MMM.
  • Some stellar acts blowing my mother-fucking mind. Pnau, Dizzee Rascal, Midnight Juggernauts, Silverchair, Josh Pyke, Bjork - all need to be congratulated and I will be seeing them all again if I get the chance.

That said IMHO as a whole, this years event sucked some serious donkey balls. I have a long-list of gripes, so valued reader, settle in for some serious venting.

1. The venue. More specifically the DUST. I could barely BREATHE let alone dance in the Boiler Room. People were forced to move around with a constant cloud of dust and dirt swirling about their heads. I noticed two large plastic mats covering barely a quarter of the tent, right at the back, so that was about as useful as ice is to an eskimo.
  2. The lack of grass / sitting areas. I counted TWO areas in which people could sit on something other than gravel, dust or a mixture of the two with some sparse, long-dead grass for good measure. The smoking tent near the Essential stage and the VIP area.
  3. I realise the drought means there is a severe lack of vegetation all around the country, but they somehow managed to provide grass to sit on at last years venue. I saw people parking themselves on gravel and dirt and walking around absolutely covered in grime.
  4. Being forced to pay a minimum $30- for drink tickets. I had two alcoholic slushies [at $9- a pop] and two bottles of water [at $3- each] over the entire day, an was forced to take home $6- worth of useless tickets.**
  5. I expect over-priced alcohol at these events. They're going to suck money out of people in every way they can - that's the nature of the festival. I don't expect to have to throw more money than I am willing to spend for the honour of buying drinks for myself.
  6. The line-up times and locations. Whoever thought of having Silverchair, Bjork and then Rage on one after the other was an absolute troglodye.
  7. I watched die-hard Silverchair fans [such as myself] jostled and jeered by the hard-core Rage fans over and over. Many of them large, shirtless boys with more testosterone than you could imagine. Now, I'm not pleading 'oh poor me' here - - I survived the TOOL pit last year with similar types, but they seemed good natured and considerate compared to this lot.
  8. It's one thing to sit through an act you don't particularly like in order to see one you would die to see. It's another to push, jump all over and sleaze onto everyone in your vicinity who is trying to enjoy that act.
  9. The same happened while I was trying to watch Bjork. Watching people yell and curse at her was not only heart-breaking and offensive as they were representing an Australian crowd, it also made it impossible to enjoy the show and actually hear her amazing set.
  10. Rage. Against. The. Fucking. Machine. What the fuck? No energy. The band was literally walking around the stage pumping out a set it looked like they'd done a million and one times before. No improvisation. I could have sat at home listening to their CD's from the lack of visual passion I was witnessing. No crowd interaction. Would it have killed them to actually speak to the crowd a little? No energy, and certainly no appreciation from the crowd. All I could see from my stand-point was people bopping up and down trying to figure out what song was playing as they tended to just blend into each other.
  11. I left half-way through the set dejected and disappointed. I had been looking forward to an epic performance and was left with a second rate re-hash of concerts come and gone.

I've heard Big Day Out have signed onto many more years of using Flemington Raceway so I can only hope they will learn from this year's dust-bowl and implement some improvements.
A girl can hope, can't she? =|

*FYI, I arrived at 12-ish.
**FYI, I couldn't sell these. I tried hours before I left and everybody I spoke to had an abundance of tickets and some were trying to sell their excess as well.

Wow....I can tell that you're mega angry becaue there's no colour in your post!

I've never been to Flemington however I guess that is one benifit of the Gold Coast Parklands in that there is grass everywhere so plenty of places to sit down. Also there seemed to be flooring in every tent including the boiler room.

Drink tickets are at Splendour too and definitely suck balls when you can't exchange them back. The benifit to tickets is you get your drinks WAY quicker than paying for each one with cash. If you could buy your tickets online, get an e-voucher to exchange when you enter the gate and were able to sell back at the end of the day if you brought too many I would be happy with them.

I'm disappointed that Rage sucked. I thought they were great at the Gold Coast however most people that said that were right up the front and didn't have any sound issues. They talked to the crowd quite often I thought and definitely had energy. My mates in Auckland said the show was epic too. Maybe they had a massive night on the gear the night before and were feeling a bit low.

Better luck next time...

The drink ticket saga was what sucked when we went to stereosonic at the showgrounds.

the drink ticket issue is fine... for a festival that isnt over a space of 12 hours, it promotes binge drinking at the end of the night

when there is a drink ticket system at splendour, or falls, or anything that is at least 2 days, its a great idea... you can work out on the first day how much you wanna spend, and by the end of the 2nd/3rd day... you can sell them to mates or someone if you get that desperate.

at splendour last year, on the 2nd day, there were people selling tickets for $1 each, fair enuf, they didnt get all their money back, but better than throwing them in the bin

the sydney big day out doesnt have the drink ticket thing... which is good.

chopped_chimp said:
Wow....I can tell that you're mega angry becaue there's no colour in your post!
Better luck next time...
^Haha, yeah so very true. I'm livid about this whole experience. :(