• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzodiazepines table comparison

methadon3000 said:
Does anybody know how these benzo equivelancy charts are measured.....for example in terms of anti anxiety effects.....or in terms of which is more hypnotic.....or which is more euphoric...etc.
Because it just doesn't make sense at all comparing say midazolam with alprozalam since everyone knows midazolam is much more hypnotic where aplrozalam is much more anti anxiety.

Well, here's what I think, and what people misunderstand about these benzo equivelancy charts.

These charts all seem to based on those charts made by Heather Ashton, an english professor with long experience of helping people off benzos.
Many people take a look at Ashton's chart and guess that the equalent doses she lists are based on benzo's clinical effect.
But if you read what she writes, you'll find out that she has made the chart based on equalences on withdrawl symptoms.
Thus the chart can NOT be read as "Valium 10 mg is like Xanax 0,5 mg".
What she means is Valium 10 mg gives the same withdrawl symptoms as Xanax 0,5 mg (It's as hard getting off 10 mg Valium as 0,5 mg Xanax, which is something complete different, and might be true, and tells us that Xanax is a difficult drug to get off.
So the equalence chart is NOT based on clinical effects between the different benzos.
If you view the chart closer you'll see that 1 mg flunitrazepam (Rohypnol) = 10 mg Valium. No one who's ever taken Rohypnol will say "yeah, 1 mg of Rohypnol feels like 10 mg of Valium, or 0,5 mg of Xanax". Rohypnol is much stronger in effect, and no one in the right mind can claim that taking 2 mg of Xanax is like take 4 mg Rohypnol (4 pills!). So much Rohypnol would knock you out completely.

So that's when I figured out that it's withdrawl symptoms they mean with those benzo equivalence charts, and NOT clinical effect.

You can't use those charts as saying "X mg of this feels like X mg of that".

I suppose making a chart based on clinical effect would be very difficult, since people are so individually different. For some people 2 mg Valium is more than enough to get ridd of anxiety, while others need 5 mg or 10 mg.

For me, in regards to anxiolytic effects, equivalency is about

1mg Xanax = 10mg Valium = 1mg Klonopin = 1.5mg Ativan
or in chemical names
1mg Alprazolam = 10 Diazepam = 1mg Clonazapam = 1.5mg Lorazepam

The benzo.org.uk equivalency is a pretty good one... The only complaint I have with it is that it compares 0.5mg alprazolam and clonazepam to 10mg diazepam. From my experiences and the experiences of others, that has diazepam weighted too weak. I would put the equivalency closer to .75 mg alprazolam/ clonazepam = 10mg diazepam.

Other than that, it's a great chart!

i think that xanax and klonopin at .5 is DEFINATLY as strong as a valium 10. ill never understand why people think that it takes a mg of either to equal a v ten. thats rediculous.

^So you are saying taking one 2mg Xanax bar is the same as 40mg of diazepam? Right....

^^ i'd disagree with that, 40mg of valium feels MUCH stronger than 2mg of xanax....for me at least...

i'd say no taking into account duration of effect:

10mg valium = ~1.00mg xanax
10mg valium = ~1.25mg klonopin
10mg valium = ~2.00mg ativan
10mg valium = ~75mg librium

Maybe the .5mg alpraz/clonazepam to 10mg diazepam comparasin feels accurate at that low of a dose, I couldn't tell you... but as a lot of people will agree, when you get up to 40mg or so of diazepam, the equivalence doesn't seem to fit anymore.

u forgot loprazolam1-2mg=10diazepam (havlane) and lormetazepam 1-2mg=10diazepam(noctamide/Lormet)...

i still can't coprehend how 0.5 Alprazolam, or even more so 0.5 clonazepam can =20mg of temazepam... it seems ridiculous to me, how did anyone come up with that in the first place... anyway, cool chart

WHAT THE FUCK ONLY1ONE? Do you realize you didn't even put any dosages/equivalency dosages in the table? How are other people supposed to know if you are comparing those benzos to 10mg of diazepam or....to something??

Either you are a cop which these guys take serious and one if these hardcore junkys will grill you with a shitstorm of questions and mabye other actions....since they are drug addicts you never know what these crazy heroin marihuana crazed wide eyed addicts will do!

Or you are just stupid/high and didn't plan this out very well. In which case I'm pretty sure its not a hanging offense.

Wait! My bad, is the equivalency chart down at the bottom?

My bad, I'm sorry, I'm high....