• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

How to identify real opium?

nukka

Bluelighter
Can someone who has had CONFIRMED real opium please tell me some ways I can identify it. I've come across it a hand-full of times and sometimes it does nothing, sometimes it has noticeable effects (maybe placebo though?). A lot of times I'm sure its fake, sometimes not so much.

if there is any question as t if it is real then it is for sure a fake real opium will get you high no questions asked you will know when and if you get the real deal

Yeah just try smoking it.. it shouldn't be too harsh and it should make you completly mellow..

I've only had real opium once at a phish show, when we smoked it it gave an immediate opiate high, kind of like eating a decent amount of vicdoens or snorting a bit of heroin, but instant. We smoked it on top of herb but it was obviously stronger than just herb.

A couple times we got some bogus opium at shows, its more common than the real thing sadly.. or was at the time anyways. It was brownish material that didn't really smell too strong, wasn't roofing tar or anything but I've heard of people selling that as opium before. If people say you "have to smoke it with weed" that should be a sign its bogus and their trying to trick you by thinking your high on thwe opium but its just the weed and like a placebo effect, cause when we smoked it with herb I kinda thought it might be real, before smoking the real thing and just knowing that was it. Try smoking it by itself so you know, even tho with the real thing there shouldn't be much doubt even with herb.

Another thing I've seen people sell as opium, and a lot of assholes must have made some decent coin on was "Red Rock Opium", which is hard dark red crystals, that is really just a thing sold commercialy as "Dragons Blood Incense", like bogus gummy opium people always said to smoke it on herb or in a joint, and it did turn goeey and resinous when you smoked it and kind of seemed to get you higher, which it might have seeing as it was FUCKING INCENSE and there might have been weird chemicals in it. Still if you smoke it by itself off foil with a straw it didn't really do anything. I don't think there is any such thing as red rock opium, pretty sure its all a scam, and it sells for like $100 an ounce as opium, or like $12 an ounce as incense.. those assholes..

When you get op' that is real when you pull it apart, it shouldnt be stringy. it might stretch a lil bit, but pull apart pretty cleanly. it also got a beautiful smell...Damn...So nice....It would be medium/dark brown...a lil sticky, sticks to ur fingers without bein gummy or really sticky icky. but the pull test is really the best one i know of. it should stretch a lil tiny bit, and then break apart not just keep on goin.

And you get high as hell, its hard when ur a opiate tolerant user who done dope and heavy opiates cuz it kinda dminishes the effects of course. But i still thought it was great. i can smoke a gram of that shit in a hour if i wanted to , well if i didnt nod out first heh. exaggeratin a lil , I never did that, but i did w/a half gram and wanted to go for it but i figured id save it since i was high already anyways and at that time i didnt use SO much that i couldnt jus save it til tomorrow. But the point is, its a mellow smooth high, i never did it as a opiate naieve user, so i aint got the best perspective on it but its still straight tobreak off a nice ball and smoke it with some good herbs and jus chill on one of them porch swings while you watch the smoke swirl under the street light and jus get lost in some dreamy chillaxin.

Ima say this right now......I smoked it one time...But that time that i did smoke it, many ppl asked me to see it since it aint been around in a long time, it aint that common. And everyone that seen it (the peeps who done alot of it before, and knew about hippie stuff like that) was like yo ur so lucky you finally got some real shit, good looks man, thats def. the real deal. I got "tested" to see if it was real or not by somebody who knew it well. he asked me to describe the shit i had, but i didnt know what it should be. so it wasnt like i could fit my description to what it "should" sound like since i didnt know, some people might try and "extend" the truth so it would sound real when it wasnt, but i really didnt know what to say, so that gives me a pretty good idea that my shit was on point since when i said the consistency and texture, scent, etc, he was like yea, thats the real deal.

so im confident enough that im understanding it good enough to post, but if im wrong somebody correct me, cuz i dont wanna be tellin people shit like its bond with such a limited experience on it. I had it once, it was real, nuff sed, hope it helps.

Last edited:
i've gotten fake opium before and i BELIEVE i had real opium. the person i got it from had 1 ounce balls of the stuff. it got me high and definitely had an opiate effect that was beyond any placebo effect (IMO). especially compared to the shitty fake stuff.

i wish i could get more...what a lovely smoke.

real opium is kinda sticky stuff but not too sticky, has a great smell, similiar to flowers i guess. U feel the effects come on pretty strong. Every ignorant person says the best way is to smoke it with weed, but f that. the weed makes the opium high all foggy. Smoke it by itself and its wonderfullllllllllllllll

^^ i agree, smoking it alone is much more pleasant, and THEN smoke a bowl/joint of cannabis and you float away in blissful opiate/cannabis high :)

floral scent/taste. Sometimes slightly bitter. Unique consitency, like putty, and weird when you pull it apart. Never seen anything else like it myself.

Yep, Its pretty much jus one of those things you know and there aint much way to explain it. Its frustratin,but you know when you know.

Erowid has plenty of pictures of authentic and fake opium.
I personally enjoy opium much more than any synthetic opiate/opioid. I actually ONLY use opium nowadays and have stopped using synthetic opiates/opioids altogether. I prefer my opium smoked with some cannabis.

No need to even grow it, it's easy enough to make from purchased dried poppies. Just make poppy tea and evaporate it down to a brown sludge. Suitable for smoking or gelcapping, or so I hear -- I don't bother refining it past the tea stage.

^That's a good point...although I thought by now it went without saying that opium is ALWAYS very dark in color after being dried. Most of the time black.

BodhiSvaha33 said:
No need to even grow it, it's easy enough to make from purchased dried poppies. Just make poppy tea and evaporate it down to a brown sludge. Suitable for smoking or gelcapping, or so I hear -- I don't bother refining it past the tea stage.

Pods are expensive, seeds are cheap. And you will never get real opium from boiling down poppy tea. You get what is called pod puddy. I have no experience with it, but from what I have read on previous threads, it isn't very suitable for smoking. It can be done, but the amount that is needed to smoke is very large when compared to real opium, and the flavor is very different.