• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Mega Merged: Ultimate poppy pod/seed tea thread (getting the most out of your pods)

Status
Not open for further replies.
^
i guess the alkaloid profile is different because of solubility , thats what i meant with a cleaner high more morphine & codeine without the very physical stoning sensation & toxicity you get from some f the other alkaloids (like oripavine) however this might just be placebo

Ah i see what you're saying. I noticed a difference in effects when I switched from making tea with chunks of the pod to using grounds. It made the tea much darker, and went from feeling very stimulating to more sedating. It was easy to gauge then because the type of pod was consistent. Anymore my results are skewed by the notion that different pods could contain very different alkaloid ratios.

With all the goodies hanging out in a pod, and just what the pod is made of, I guess changing even a small part of your technique or materials can make a big difference. And you know I find something charming about the difficulty in controlling the experience, like being in old times where everything was more crudely made and you could accidentally get a whopping dose when you're not expecting it. But I'd still like to be exact just because it's practical.

BingeBoy said:
^
i guess the alkaloid profile is different because of solubility , thats what i meant with a cleaner high more morphine & codeine without the very physical stoning sensation & toxicity you get from some f the other alkaloids (like oripavine) however this might just be placebo

this is true

i can tell this, because i have
made tea from dried pods,
fresh pods,
hot and cold for both,
and also have eaten opium,
and orally dosed morphine and codeine,
separately and simultaneously.

all many times.

my experiences are consistent with your observations.

The_Idler said:
this is true

i can tell this, because i have
made tea from dried pods,
fresh pods,
hot and cold for both,
and also have eaten opium,
and orally dosed morphine and codeine,
separately and simultaneously.

all many times.

my experiences are consistent with your observations.
So, what Bingeboy and you are saying, is a cold water wash will yield a more potent finished product? Or just a cleaner product?

err no

hot water ( NOT BOILING ) has best yield

some people don't like all the alkaloids (weirdos) and want closer to just morph&code, cold water extractions achieve this.

hot water is better

Opium is best.

^
wow that sucks

but on the other hand i'd try to make some tea with 10-20 pods before giving up on them , 5 is a really low dose

I was just gathering some pods (onces too small to really score), and I got a drop of that milky white ambrosia on my hands, and I licked it. Very bitter. I actually feel high off that! Weird..or not?

But I just made a tea batch of 30 or so small pods, and this has to get me through a prescription-less weekend of back-breaking 4th of july bullshit. :p

The good news : There are about 6 huge P. Sominferum that just startint growing right in my front lawn... has about 40+ pods... they are all in flowering stage

Bad News : I live really close to my neighbors and the plants are basically all out in the open... I feel like i would be super sketchy going out there and picking them... forget about scoring them ..... My neighbors main window is right next to all these pods last night i was casually smoking a cigarette next to them then just pulled a cpl .. lol

Maybe i could pretend like im doing gardening, pulling weeds, and just wait until almost all the pods are mature and just yank them all at once

Last edited:
^
I have gathered over a 1000 pods this summer , nooone says anything when you jump the fence and steal all their poppy's so chill out man

ps scoring them is a waste just break the stems 2-3 inches under the pod

Anyone have any thoughts on:-

i. The 'crack' when you break the bottom to remove the seeds. A good, 'shatter' is the best case scenario (I think) whereas a dull rip = lower quality pod.

ii. The seed colouring - blue always strikes me as a sign the pod is a good one, brown seeds (often accompanied by a stale smell inside the pod and a tendency not to crack/snap apart) don't look good.

iii. Clumping of seeds to the internal striatums of the pod - normally the heaviest clumping is with brown seeds.

Any thoughts?

i. The 'crack' when you break the bottom to remove the seeds. A good, 'shatter' is the best case scenario (I think) whereas a dull rip = lower quality pod.

Agreed. It's like judging a pickle. Want a nice snap... that dull rip means it's more stale.

ii. The seed colouring - blue always strikes me as a sign the pod is a good one, brown seeds (often accompanied by a stale smell inside the pod and a tendency not to crack/snap apart) don't look good.

Hmmm I haven't noticed any brown seeds really, unless the inside of the pod had mold and it was all over the seeds as well. Even in the stale pods, the seeds have all been very nice blues.

iii. Clumping of seeds to the internal striatums of the pod - normally the heaviest clumping is with brown seeds.

You're talking dried pods yeh? I don't see the seeds clump on the inside of the pod much either. Unless like before if there is the black/brown dry crumbly mold on the inside of the pod the seeds get all trapped in it. If there is no mold the seeds are always ready to just pour out.

This is my experience from many kinds of pods too, btw.

Ive just been grinding up whole pods in a coffee grinder and putting the whole mess into my simmering water etc.
Is that ok, or should I be removing the seeds, or at least checking inside the pods for ^ brown weirdness?

Another thing is that Ive been 'thinning' around the bigger pods, and picking the smaller pods, some very tiny. Am I wasting my time with the tiny ones? They're all crowned up and all, not dry and rattling, but ripe for scoring.
My tea seems a little weak, but my tolerance might be higher than I thought.
Seeing all those warnings about 'accidental overdoses' had me thinking I was gonna be nodding off or feeling really wonkey.
Im tempted to go pick 3 or 4 of the giant ones and see if they knock me loose for awhile rather than 30 little tiny guys.

ATF: Definately remove the seeds. They have oils / fats that make your tea less pleasant to drink and don't add any potency.

If you're talking about fresh pods, I don't think you have to worry about mold on the inside as much as dried pods that have been stored for some time. But you may as well check them since it's so easy..

The little ones still contain opium. 3 or 4 giant pods (tennis ball size) is my common dose, maybe a little higher. And that's dried pods. I've gotten quite sick from 6 pods before. Pretty bad overdose but not life threatening. Fresh ones should be much stronger.

^
when the crowns are standing up and the pods get this white icing on them

BingeBoy said:
ps scoring them is a waste just break the stems 2-3 inches under the pod
no, thats totally untrue.

real opium is far superior to pod tea,
water does not dissolve all opiates to the same degree.

and if you mean you take the pod off to get the opium,
that is also ridiculous,
as one obtains far greater yields with the method:
score,
wait 12 hours,
collect,
wait 4 days,
score,
wait 12 hours,
collect,
wait 4 days,
chop for tea.

you see, after you score them, and obtain the opium,
more is produced-
so why waste the production potential,
by destroying the pod, before it has produced the maximum possible amount of opium?

alexela said:
I guess not. Here is the Wikipedia info:

"Poppies may be found in the genera:

Meconopsis – Himalayan poppy, Welsh poppy and relatives.
Papaver – Iceland poppy, Oriental poppy, Opium poppy, corn poppy and about 120 other species.
Romneya – Matilija poppy and relatives.
Eschscholzia – California poppy and relatives.
Stylophorum – Celandine-poppy, mock poppy, yellow-poppy, wood-poppy.
Argemone – Prickly-poppy
Canbya – Pygmy-poppy
Stylomecon – Wind-poppy
Arctomecon – Desert bearclaw-poppy
Hunnemannia – Tulip poppy
Dendromecon – Tree poppy
The pollen of the oriental poppy, Papaver orientale, is dark blue. The pollen of the field poppy or corn poppy (Papaver rhoeas) is dark blue to grey. Bees will use poppies as a pollen source.

The opium poppy, Papaver somniferum, is grown for opium, opiates or seeds to be used in cooking and baking, eg. poppy seed rolls."

I will try a larger dose as suggested just in case she is wrong and they really are Papaver somniferum. If no effect then I saw an online vendor that does specify that they are P. somniferum.

but most of those pods do not look like P. Somniferum.
usually other poppies are smaller pods.

a notable exception is P. Orientalis,
which can often fool the amateur poppy-hunter:
166800991_5220ab03d6.jpg

as you can see, quite similar-
but the crowns are darker,
and the overall pod shape tends toward an up-side-down triangular,

rather than the bulbous, to oval, pod shape,
and lighter crown of P. Somniferum:
papaver-somniferum-seed-pod.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.