Your top 5 concerts

AmorRoark

Bluelight Crew
Might be tough for some of yous. Also, throughout your list please elaborate as to why you found these particular shows to be of the best quality. :)

1. Widespread Panic. Nashville, TN 2002(?) It was my first concert ever. I was about 14 and ever since then ive been huge into the jam band scene.

2. Lotus. All Good Music Festival 2007. 15 doses, I lost count of how many rolls and molly I had taken but I closed my eyes and Lotus took control of my body. Ego dead.

3 Les Claypool. All Good Music Festival 2006. The overwhelming feeling I got from seeing that god of a bassist in person was a rush. Trey Anastasio came on stage and jammed with him too. That was the first time i'd seen Trey in person too.

4. Medeski, Martin, and Wood. Nashville, TN 2007. I danced my ass off on some fire dose and after that concert enjoyed one of the best trips of my life with some of my best friends. Never laughed so hard in my life.

5. Sound Tribe Sector 9. All Good Music Festival 2007. This was about an hour after Lotus played. My head exploded.

Too bad I never got to see Phish :(

1. Tool(New Orleans 1999) The first time I saw them in concert. I was in awe from beginning to end.

2. Tori Amos(New Orleans 1999) An ex of mine got me into her in 97. Tori definitely has some of the coolest(not to mention hottest)fans around. She did two encores and the last song she did was Winter. Very moving.

3.Tool(Bossier City 2002) During their Lateralus tour. I was completely sober,but the entire time I felt like I was tripping because of the Alex Grey imagery on the giant screens behind them.

4.Foo Fighters w/ The Red Hot Chili Peppers(Dallas,Tx 2003) It was an outdoor concert. Great seeing two of my favorite bands in one place. Dave Grohl is one very energetic,awesome guy!

5.Silverchair(House Of Blues New Orleans 1998 ) These guys fucking rock! It was great to see them in a smaller venue. No matter where you were,you had a great view of the band.

Last edited:
No particular order here:

1) Elvis Costello, Allen Toussaint, and the Crescent City Horns - Bonnaroo 2006

First Costello Concert, easily my favorite of the entire festival. Excellent catalog of new and old material, wonderful vibe. He's a great entertainer, and has lost nothing in his age. I was also heavily altered, and could not stop dancing like crazy.

2) Andrew W.K. - The 40 Watt, Athens GA, 9/11/02

What can be said. It was a supremely perfect moment facilitated by a mediocre curiosity. Patriotism was only starting to become tiresome, and America was a much nicer place. I walked into a very small club to a scene that can only be described as 300 (like 150 too many) Jack Osbourne-looking dudes in a huge mass. No pit, just a tremendous mass of densely packed people. W.K. started it off with a moment of noise for people who died a year ago that day. After that, its was big sweaty moosey dudes climbing on to the stage en masse to give Andrew hugs and crowd surf. Andrew W.K. maybe be frightfully one dimensional, and a distant memory now, but that year, and especially that night, he was a consumate and masterful entertainer. He even loaned random dudes money after the gig out by the hot dog stand. This is probably the best show I've ever been to. Its one of a kind, and nobody reading this could possibly understand it.

I'm tired of writing, and I'm having trouble thinking of which three belong with these two. I'll edit later.

moosedog said:
5. Sound Tribe Sector 9. All Good Music Festival 2007. This was about an hour after Lotus played. My head exploded.

Just saw them Saturday. They were good as hell

1. The Who - First concert. I think it was 'It's Hard' tour.

2. Sonic Youth / Stereolab- Bumming around Europe for two weeks. First time in Europe. This was in Berlin Germany.

3. Van Halen - 1984 tour. With David LEE Roth. Thank you very much.

4. Sebadoh. Milwaukee Wi. Legendary line-up of Lou, Eric., and Jason.

5. Any Jesus Lizard show I've ever attended has been what rock n roll is really all about. Seen lot's of great GBV shows too and those rate at the top also.

atlas said:
2) Andrew W.K. - The 40 Watt, Athens GA, 9/11/02

I have to say I am a bit surprised to see this on your list. Nonetheless, I also saw Andrew WK, not really being a fan of his music, and agree, he puts on a hell of a show. I have never quite seen anything like it. There must have been 60 kids that ran on stage, easily the biggest circle pit I have ever seen, and shit flying everywhere. If you can't have fun at a Andrew WK show, you need to check your pulse.

I don't know if it would be on my top five ever, but Andrew WK @ Hellfest 2005, Elizabeth, NJ is definitely close to it.

props, Atlas.

1. disco biscuits Atlanta Georgia November 12 2006 My first jam band show I was smashed on Acid and great pot with my 3 best freinds great show good vibes amazing time.
2. Crawfish boil 2005 Birmingham Alabama Shinedown Seether wallflowers my first concert great show my first time to mosh I was stoned good times
3. Keller Williams Alabama Theater Great show Keller rocks He finished his set with a Sublime cover fucking awsome.
4.Crawfish Boil 2007 Bham alabama soul asylum fuel collective soul got really drunk high and someone gave me xanax had a fucking crazy night my freinds got arrested with my car keys so I was stuck downtown all night really blacked out suprised I didnt get robbed.
5. Voodoo fest 2007 not here yet but seeing Rage Against the machine is going to be awsome.

I know I need to go to more concerts but no one comes to birmingham.

Last edited:
so so hard. in no particular order, these would definitely be in for consideration:

1. jeff buckley at the charles playhouse, boston, 1994

about a week before this show, i had a couple of friends visiting from the uk. they read in the phoenix (and bemoaned the fact) that jeff buckley was playing the day after they left. the told me i should go see him. a week later - i think it was a monday night - i was sitting in the house with my girlfriend and remembered what they had said. i called the theatre and they had two tickets left (it's a tiny place). i snagged them with my cc and we wandered up there.

the charles is a tiny theatre in boston - maybe room for 400. i had no idea who jeff buckley was. then he came on stage and started singing and you can imagine.

at one point, he broke a bunch of guitar strings and a roadies came on to take care of it between songs. he had them dim the house lights so there was only a white spotlight pointed directly on him then he sang the next number a capella. it was beautiful and magical. a couple of years later, he was dead.

2. underworld at the warfield, san francisco

probably my favourite live act ever. this was my second time seein them and the warfield was packed. i was pretty high on mdma and, as ever, they were firing on all cylinders. they went off and came back on and played an insane encore which included born slippy and cowgirl/rez. they went off again and everybody thought it was over but kept it up for a little while just in case. i figured they were done as there was no way they could top their encore. but then they came back on. they played moaner.

3. teenage fanclub at slims in san francisco

it's weird that i've seen my favourite band - teenage fanclub - live many times but only after i moved to the us. they played 2 nights at slims in san francisco and i went both nights. jangly pop wonder from the fannies two nights in a row - what more can you ask for?

4. the cult at the edinburgh playhouse

i was only about 18 and they were touring the 'electric' album so i got to hear all their spectacular metal-riff silliness like 'love removal machine' and 'l'il devil' live. i played guitar in a college band back then and, needless to say, billy duffy blew me away.

5. underworld and the chemical brothers at the bill graham civic auditorium

i bought the ticket to see underworld who were supporting the chemical brothers. i didn't really know the chemical brothers that well at the time and, to me, the bill was upside down.

the chemical brothers showed me, that night, why they were top of the bill.

alasdair

1. Smashing Pumpkins, Rosemont Horizion 1996 First concert ever, only like 13years old. They rocked soo fucking hard.. real rock stars with the shiny silver pants and shirts, crazy ass bright flashing light show, lots of songs, stuff from Gish and Siamese Dream, lots of new stuff at the time from Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. They just rocked, were totally in their prime. I've yet to see a band that could rival them in terms of a long ass show, 3 sets, putting on a show and rocking out and just kicking ass. It was the best thing for a 1st show, set a high standerd. Only saw them once but it was EPIC..

2. Phish 8/1/98 alpine valley 1st phish show, 7/24/99 alpine, 10/3/99 10/4/99 allstate and redbird arena, 9/22/2000 9/23/2000 allstate arena, the 2000 summer run, alpine valley, deer creek and polarius.

A lot of shows I know but these were the great ones, tripped a lot, rolled at a couple, always puffing tuff on good nuggets.. Alpine Valley was always great, phish outdoors trippin on acid-no comment. The summer 2000 thing was great me and my homie/neighbor at the time traveled to Wisco, Indiana, and finally to Ohio for the end of the tour.. I got spun a couple times, lost in another state trippin, stuck on K etc.. it was a blast, my first time road trippin with a friend. I loved phish, some of those shows when I was on E, I considered life changing.. and I told everyone around me in the audience and they usually shared my enthusiasm.. loved how everyone there would be puffing and doing something, I was in the majority once, I still don't like how you go to see some bands and people give you a dirty look for puffing or even go get security and ruin your good time cause they can't mind their own bussiness, besides the point.. I loved running into local phish heads agt shows, seemed like it was all meant too be like it was too big and cosmic to be a coicindence. I had more friends at that point in time than any other poin t in my life, before or after, like 98 till say 2002, I went to widespread and string cheese shows after they went on break but it wasn't the same for me. Phish was great and I hated it when they went on "hiatus" I saw then again when they came back in 2004 but the magic was gone for me.. Any other phish heads out there whoop whoop..

3. Janes Addiction 2001 Allstate Center

I've always loved Janes Addiction, was shocked they decided to make another album and tour again, I got so lucky to even see them. they rocked hard, play almost all the classics, Perry Ferrel has a crazy stage presence.. they had a huge stage setup with lots of candles everywhere.. it was just great hard rock and roll, they were tight, me and an old friend that moved and i hardly see anymore went to see them, we rolled balls at the show, acted fools and everyone was looking at us but it was epic non the less.. wooo hoo hahaha.

4. Korn 1996 Aragon Brawl Room Chicago

Think this was my 2nd concert, they were hard fuck core. Just soo slamming dirty, kickin, rock. Freakish with plastic fuck dolls hanging from the ceiling and the guys in the band with their dreadlocks and twistedness.. Evil shit.. got real lucky to catch them early in their carerr at their prime..

5. Rage Against The Machine 8/29/97 The World Music Theater

What can I say, these guy rock. They did almost every song off the first cd and lots off the new one that had just came out, Evil Empire I think.. They were soo tight, another band I was lucky to catch in their prime. I obviously didn't get up in the mosh but the show was tight regardless.. Soo fierce, Zack de La Rocha shit man.. screaming st the top of his lungs fucking kicking ass..

I've also seen Metallica, Tom Petty, Wide Spread, String Cheese Inciudent, Primus with buckethead, other bands at Ozzfest 99/97 Slayer, Black Sabbath, Ozzie, OAR.. don't make fun they were good..., Violent Femmes, Fiona Apple, Flaming Lips, AFI, Dashboard Confessional, 311 a couple times, Erasure.. at a Festival, Social D.. they rocked hard too, Marylin Manson he was still good and put on a sick read disgusting show cut himself up etc, Bush haha don't luagh it was before they were ghey, Jamariqui, COC, Grant Lee Buffalo, Slipknot, Type O Negative, well I just realized I've seen shit tons of bands, I didn't remember half of them till I thought about it, a lot were at fests with lots of other bands, The Twisted Fests and Jamboree.. couple raves..

I haven't gone to as many shows lately, I'd still like to catch moe, STS9, Toad The Wet Sprocket, couple other that might not tour again. I miss going to concerts too bad lately all my loot goes to H no exceptions, cept maybe coke or spikes.. sucks ass.. oh well.

its hard for me to seperate whether the show was that good or if it was just teh drugs I was on, cause at most of my fav shows i was intoxicated on something. so ill just list what felt the most breathtaking

1. Radiohead- Florence, Italy. July 2003.

just a couple thousand people gathered on a plaza overlooking the city. first time seeing them and had some lsd ... they played "talk show host" and "the bends".

2. Wilco - latrobe, PA. october 2006

High off my ass on a roll and a little acid ... probably the best couple hours of my life ... just jawdropping ... first time hearing the new material ... dug "Walken", "Lets not get carried away", and "impossible germany" ... played one of my favorites: "poor places"

3. Radiohead - nimes, france. july 14, 2003

Bastille Day in Nimes seeing the boys play at a Roman Colleseum tripping my face off, smoking amsterdam nugget and hash. Thom was in good spirits.

4. Tool - Bonnaroo 2007

Ive loved these guys for about ten years and never seen them. Lightly candyflipping and smacked out for this ... I love all the new album material so not a bad time for me to see them. Tom Morello cameo during Lateralus ... Danny Carey melting my face

5. Wilco - Wakarusa 2005

I didnt really know them that well at this point, and was checking them out based on reputation and for the company of friends. Tripping hard on the tail end of some molly - I remember guitars feeling like a cosmic lashing tearing at me . Been in love ever since.

Tool
NIN
RATM
Metallica (not my fav band by a long shot but a helluva show)

i can't htink of a 5th.

how could i forget:

6. oasis, screaming trees and manic street preachers, worcester ma, 1996

the only time i've been lucky to see screaming trees live and they absolutely rocked. mark lanegan surely has one of the greatest voices in rock.

after the break, liam gallagher came swaggering out to the mic. stand with a bottle of beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other. he leaned in and said "you're all a bunch of fucking dickheads" and the crowd went apeshit. they played a killer set at the height of their fame. immediately after that show, they had an argument and cancelled the rest of the tour.

7. robbie williams , bimbo's 365, san francisco ca, 1999

i guess robbie can sell out earl's court for 3 or 5 nights back home but he was just trying to break in the us and he played bimbo's - a red velvet lounge with a capacity of about 1500 - it was half full this night. he had the audience wrapped round his little finger. between the great performance and the between-song banter, he proved he had talent.

alasdair

I've been to a lot of good shows but the only one that really impressed me was seeing Radiohead in St.Louis in 2003. Still my favorite concert ever! they played everything that everyone wanted to hear and kept coming back for more. w00t

8. big star, clapham grand, london, 1993

i'm amazed how many us bands report having been influenced by big star and yet how few people i meet in the us who have even heard of them. everybody's heard the theme tune to 'that 70s show'? it's 'down the street' by big star.

alex chilton is one of my songwriting heroes. big star fell apart in the late 70s due to the depression and untimely death of chris bell but original members alex chilton and jody stephens got together with a couple of the posies in 1993 and toured as big star. it was a night of sublime, jangly pop beauty which put my love affair with teenage fanclub in a wider context and reminded me what a great writer and performer chilton is.

alasdair

1. Phish - Coventry, VT: August 14-15, 2004
This takes the top spot strictly because of the unparalleled experience. The set itself was hit-and-miss, though Mike and Jon were on fire throughout. Coventry, frankly, was a hell of a lot more than two days of Phish. A whole fucking town eruped on some mountain in Vermont. Thousands of people left their cars on the intersate because the mountain was too saturated, rendering large portions of the campgrounds unusable (I got my car in, but endured a 15-hour traffic jam to get there). Shakedown Street was the size of a village. A glowstick war so intense it looked like it was made by CGI. Tens of thousands of people trudging through mud up to their knees. It was probably the greatest music-related thing I've ever done, and it will be damn hard to top.

the chemical brothers (all six times i've seen em, soon to be seven). sensory overload. taken with and without intoxicants.

the prodigy/ regurgitator - the old seninas, bondi around 2000
awesome sweatfest and moshed like nutters

regurgitator, hum music (first half of the 2000's) I've seen these guys dozens of times and having them in the intimite local as a record store was fuckin great. i mean quan's guitar was within arm's length.

sweatfest (klf, c & c music factory/ snap!) a few years ago. Mad fun. Aged crowd there for a good show. awesome drugs.

big day out 1999/2000 - back when i was young enough to know the bands enough to enjoy the entire day, these made australia day my favourite day of the year.

1.Radiohead San Diego 27/06
2. Nine Inch Nails
3. Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds
4. A perfect circle
5. Muse