Your top 5 concerts

alasdairm said:
how could i forget:

6. oasis, screaming trees and manic street preachers, worcester ma, 1996

the only time i've been lucky to see screaming trees live and they absolutely rocked. mark lanegan surely has one of the greatest voices in rock.

alasdair

Thank god the Screaming Trees finally get their due!

1. The Mars Volta-Spring 2004
They played Cicatriz ESP for an hour and that was it. Still the best show ever.

2. Ozzfest 1999
System of a Down and Primus are two of the best bands live. Black Sabbath and Deftones were no slouches either.

3. Ozzfest/ Warped Tour 1998
Deftones at the top of their game, and Tool pre-Lateralus. I got there a little late and missed Incubus and System of A Down :(

4. N.I.L.8 and Tub Ring
If you are from the midwest you might know what I'm talking about. Two great high energy bands with a great crowd. Fucking fantastic.

5. Lollapalooza 1996
My first show, and Screaming Trees were the first band I saw (not counting Psychotica immediately preceding them), and they made me an even bigger fan than I already was. That and Soundgarden and my only crowd surfing experience, seeing a drunk chick fuck a nasty tweaker in the pit for Waylon Jennings.

AmorRoark said:
In no particular order ;):
  • Praxis (06-11-04) Buckethead, Bernie Worrell, Bill Laswell (meh) and Brain... with a special appearance from Les. A show I will positively never forget. Best funk experience you could ever imagine.

best show i saw at bonnaroo 04

in no particular order, i shall name 5 concerts i enjoyed.

- red hot chili peppers, 2000 californication tour w/ the foo fighters (their last good album, ahhh) summerfest main stage

- leo kottke and michael gordon, the barrymore theatre, sixty six steps tour

- yonder mountain string band, their self-proclaimed " craziest fucking show ever " (at least according to ben @ the rave last night) One solid 3 hour set of yonder! Summerfest side stage, 2004

- phish, 12/29/03 ; i have never heard such ear-splitting noise. 20,000, quite literally, screaming at the top of their lungs for some reason. much energy in the air. i am sad to say i never saw them pre-2000, but this feels like one of their better post hiatus shows. certainly better than the aforementioned coventry.

- karl denson's tiny universe, halloween 2003 at the house of blues chicago and the (g)Rave the next night. Band was on fire!

honorable mention to Old Crow Medicine Show and Medeski Martin and Wood for the Cincinnati Steamboat Festival performances a couple years ago. Too bad the sound quality was atrocious.

This thread also brings into question the whole quality of music vs. the entire experience/music venue debate. I've seen shows at amazing places like Red Rocks and The Gorge (or northern maine and vermont, for that matter) , but the musical side of things just doesn't stack up where I would like it to.

the mars volta, Amputechture o3 30 07- this was at the catalyst in santa cruz... the next night they were playing berekely which i had two tickets to, got em months in advance when it was only like a 4 show tour.... but they kept announcing shows under a different name and such, so this was announced two days before the friday it was on.... i told my friend, lets go a day early, and TRY to get tickets, never thought it would happen, but before we left met someone on the message boards with two extra tickets, got his number, and hoped it wouldnt fall through when we got there..... well, we did got the tickets, went to get some coffee so i could put some sugar cubes in em and went into the show.... it was a small ass club, was RIGHT up front, dead center, tripping out of my mind! One of the most amazing shows i have ever witnessed, the next night couldnt compare, cuz after the show was over and we ate and were walking in Santa Cruz, we went back to the club, and got to fucking meet Omar Rodriguez Lopez! lol peaking was intense to say the least

Daft Punk Berkeley 7 27 07- completely sober for this, had a puff on a joint at the beginning, showed up late and missed first 15 min, went through a lot of shit to get there, but i have to say....EASILY the best overall show i have seen, and the sound setup.... lol the next night tiesto didnt sound even close to that
Hope to see them at vegoose....

Electric Daisy Carnival- more specifically Infected Mushroom at EDC.... OMG! I had been converted.... soooooo much better than two guys, is when its a whole band!

cant think of others right now, the who is up there so is rush and Tiesto, and typing is getting tiring, so ill edit again later....

2. Radiohead - St. Louis, MO; August 24, 2003
On purely musical grounds, the best show I've seen. The sound was monstrous, the lighting was rich and dramatic, and the band was tight as hell. I also loved watching their versatility, with members moving from guitars to drums to keyboards to strange machines all throughout the night.

My one problem with this show was the crowd (well, that and the stupid girl who was unfortunately a part of my road trip to the show). Way too many emo kids standing stock still all night with their arms folded, never breaking pose or indicating they have a pulse. If you've made the effort to come to the show, and can't get caught up in "Paranoid Android," you should question why you even bother at all.

3. Wilco - Wakarusa 2005
Another musical masterpiece. I was also tripping balls for the show. :)

4. Pearl Jam - St. Louis, MO; October 11, 2000
It's really hard for me to choose between the three PJ shows I've seen; each has uniquely defining qualities. Kansas City in '03 had the setting (intense thunderstorms) and unusually awesome seats (both encores were seen about 8 rows from the stage). This year's Lollapalooza had the cumulative effect of, well, Lollapalooza, and a fairly inspired setlist. But St. Louis in '00 was my first PJ show, and due to strange bits of curcumstance, I made a crazy trek to do it (driving 5 hours there and back the night before midterms). More importantly, it was the beginning of my concert-going ways; Springfield, MO was a barren wasteland for shows, and I was finally breaking away from it.

5. Shiner - Kansas City, MO; July 2002
The tightest of the three Shiner shows I saw before they broke up. Even better, Matt Talbot's new band (Centaur) was opening. Now, this isn't an endorsement of Centaur - it was basically just watered down Hum, though to be fair, it did sound good live. No, the best part was when Matt Talbot started tuning his guitar as Shiner started the second encore. Sure enough he came out, and the show ended with him leading the band in an awesome rendition of "Stars" (appropriately, the crowd went apeshit for this).

I dont go to concerts so I lists raves=concertz=excuse my drunk spelling

Freaky Flow
Ed Rush & Optical
Andy C
Armin Van Burren
Mauro Piccotto

uk subs - first show ever, was freaking sweet totally turned me on to the whole punk scene. It was such a shock to be standing up for 4 hours my legs were on the verge of collapsing. Still managed to dance around for we wanna riot and left for dead.

conflict - so gangster love that band, although i wasnt as into them at the time. Live theyre sound seems abit lacking musically compared to the studio versions, but the anger is even more palpable. Unfortunatly, their dissillusionment and anger towards punks is more then visible in the eyes of some of them.

Leftover crack - was great but i was so fuggin wasted, fortunatly managed to sober up enough to actually stand and listen to their set. Their guitarist couldnt get across the border so stza was taking on vocals and guitar. DEAD DEAD DEAD YOUR GOD IS DEAD TO ME!

Inepsy - Seen them a bunch of times, their local kickass band always play a good set.

A global threat - Their singer didnt look anything like i expected him too, good band though.

hippyflippy said:
lol the next night tiesto didnt sound even close to that
Hope to see them at vegoose....QUOTE]

You going to this years vegoose?

Super bad with dates.

The Cure on one of their "final shows" sometime 2000 or possibly earlier.

Frank Black & The Catholics at a very small venue, early 2000s. It was packed, and they played a spotless, extremely energetic show, opened up by Dave Lovering and his pickle experiments.

Andrew Bird at The Fillmore. Absolutely flawless and inspired.

Arcade Fire two years ago or more. I had only a slight idea who they were. They were great, and were one of the first mainstream bands of late I saw doing the whole improvise-with-non-regular-instruments successfully. The scales they used were very unusual and medieval sounding compared to everyone about them.

Pepe Romero is a classical guitarist. (Am I allowed to lump this together with pop?) Anyhow, it was fantastic, although he is old and made some errors, you could almost see his soul radiating 5 feet from him all around. I cried!

silverwheel said:
2. Radiohead - St. Louis, MO; August 24, 2003
On purely musical grounds, the best show I've seen. The sound was monstrous, the lighting was rich and dramatic, and the band was tight as hell. I also loved watching their versatility, with members moving from guitars to drums to keyboards to strange machines all throughout the night.

My one problem with this show was the crowd (well, that and the stupid girl who was unfortunately a part of my road trip to the show). Way too many emo kids standing stock still all night with their arms folded, never breaking pose or indicating they have a pulse. If you've made the effort to come to the show, and can't get caught up in "Paranoid Android," you should question why you even bother at all.

3. Wilco - Wakarusa 2005
Another musical masterpiece. I was also tripping balls for the show.

w0rd. The fact that we were at both those shows though not exactly next to each other and still felt how awesome they were says a lot. :)

Off-topic: Do you remember the burning tree after Wilco? Crazy tripping extravaganza!

I'll contribute too.

Not sure about top 5, but visual wise, Tool's concert this year was AMAZING! Nine Inch Nails we're very energetic and put on a good perfomance too for being completly sober, damn Trent Reznor's getting big.

cartmano said:
hippyflippy said:
lol the next night tiesto didnt sound even close to that
Hope to see them at vegoose....QUOTE]

You going to this years vegoose?

im trying to... are you? and yeah i saw tool here in reno, nv it was sold out, but my friend and his girlfriend had just broke up so she sold me her ticket lol....
then, out front, we FOUND a ticket and sold it for like twenty bucks..... enough for two beers haha
but that was a great show, best i had seen, till i witnessed the awe that is a Daft Punk show/performance

If you end up going pm me fool! But yea Im defiently going, i've never seen daftpunk so I couldn't miss my chance! I'm spending soo much money to go see them, but im sure it'll be worth it.

Last edited:
call me whatever you want but i went to a justin timberlake concert with my gf and her friends. surprisingly it wasnt that bad . but my all time fav was linkin park on their meteora tour

Last edited:
1. Jefferson Airplane -Mount St. Mary's Auditorium-'69 (Volunteers Tour)
2. Jethro Tull-The Spectrum-Philly '71 (Aqualung Tour)
3. Bruce Springsteen-Upstage- '71 (pre album/fame show)
4. Woodstock/ A Day in the Garden '98 (Joni Mitchell and Richie Havens were awesome, Pete Townshend was awesomely solo
5. Van Morrison - Beacon Theater-93 (played for nearly 3 hours)
5. (it's a tie) Pat Metheny-Beacon Theater -97
5. Most D M B shows

Tool - Sydney Entertainment Centre - January 2007 - I slept out 17 hours to get these tickets, and it was so fuckin worth it, their visuals shitted on most electronic events i have ever been too, their sound was just fuckin perfect, and fair enough, they have fuck all stage presence, but the just blow you out of the water, finishing with aenima was just fuckin perfect

Chemical Brothers - Sydney Entertainment Centre - March 2008 - I got good cheap tickets, the day before the event... Even though i have been to the venue once or twice before, i really dislike it, its a big ugly venue that doesnt really produce sound well. I had seated tickets, probably, 50 metres directly in front of the stage.... PERFECT... their set was bangin, their visuals were amazing, also freaky, that damn clown that says "get yourself high" could give me nightmares for life.

Muse - Hordern Pavillion - January 2007 - This was the night before i went to tool, again, got tickets last minute. Matt Bellamy is probably the most complete musician i have seen live. For a 3 piece band, they produce some fuckin sound, finished with Knights of Cydonia... fuckin epic

Queens Of The Stone Age - Metro Theatre - January 2003 - This was just after they released Songs For The Deaf, Nick was still in the band, and they were just shit fuckin hot! The Metro is a great venue, my fave venue you in sydney, it holds about 1000 people and you can see and hear the band perfectly from most areas on the venue. This night, i was front centre, smack in front of Josh. They went nuts, im not gay, but Josh is sex on stage and he knows it... I also met them after the gig, that was fuckin awesome

My last one goes to a festival. I was inebriated on all different types of things during the whole weekend, which might of affected my judgement, but still. a fuckin classic time...

Splendour In The Grass 2005 - Belongil Fields (Upper NSW Coast) - This was probably one of the best festivals i have ever been too, camped on site, got dirty all weekend and just had a fuckin ball. Acts that i saw included QOTSA (again) they closed the first day, and Josh had a go at security for mishandling people coming over the fence... GO FUCKIN JOSH. Interpol, who sounded great, i didnt get to close, but you dont need to, they do fuck all on stage anywayz, Bloc Party - still to this day one of my fave bands, they were amazing, they played most of Silent Alarm, because its all they really had to play. Ozomatli The best party band in the world, they can get people moving anywhere and everywhere on this planet. it rocks when they jump into the crowd for their last song. A tonne of Aussie bands that played the festival AND... MOBY - closed the festival, amazed everyone... played old new and just a perfect set, played AC/DC's shook me all night long, did a dedication for "all the people outside the tent, with eyes the size of the moon, looking at the moon" which just happened to be me at the time, and played some happy hardcore stuff. Perfect way to end the perfect weekender festival.

1. street dogs
the briggs
flogging molly

2.bad religion
rise against (back when they were good:\)

3.nekromantix
crucifux
the horror pops

4.nofx
guttermouth

5. gogol bordello
throw rag

1. mewithoutyou
ATL tabernacle 2007
although it was actually a Brand New concert with mewithoutyou and thrice, the best of them all was my favorite, as mentioned above
2. TOOL
ATL 2007
holy shit I was completely sober but it made me feel like I was rolling again... although I guess maybe I wasn't completely sober cause I took a few more adderall xr than i maybe should have :)
3. WEEN
ATL tabernacle 2008
WOW
4. Sebadoh
the reunion tour 2007 Variety Playhouse ATL
Lou Barlow, Eric Gaffney, and Jason Loewenstein all together again. they were selling their own merchandise and we got to meet Lou and Eric. god it was heaven
5. Coheed & Cambria
Halloween 2005 ATL Tabernacle... I wasn't expecting much since all the live vids I have seen of them performing were not so good however Claudio had the biggest fro ever and almost looked angelic. they did a FABULOUS job. bravo hats off to C&C

Definitely 1 of my top 5 is Broken Social Scene in either 2002 or 2003- Saw them in this tiny, tiny little club, You Forgot it in People had just came out, the stage was maybe a foot off of the ground and Leslie Feist was with them. They played "It's All Gonna Break" and "Canada vs. America" which hadn't even been released yet, Leslie sang "Anthems for a seventeen year old girl" and towards the end of the show Kevin Drew, who had been drinking jageirmester all night to sooth a sore throat but still sounded fantastic, asked the crowd if they wanted to hear anything that hadn't been played yet. I was in the very front row and asked if they could play Almost Crimes. They did and Leslie Feist went absolutely bonkers. Also, before the show I got to peek into their tour van which was parked out front to see her sleeping inside, and talked with Kevin and Brendan Canning at the bar about who some of their favorite bands were. Got the set list, too.