Your top 5 concerts

I'm mostly going to exclude shows where I was on drugs, just because it's too easy to have a good time on drugs.

In no particular order.

1. George Clinton, London, 1998. Never really heard his music before this; he was outstanding. When he went off for the encore, the crowd began spontaneously singing 'Give Up the Funk'. Played for three hours, it was like being on drugs.

2. The Beastie Boys, Galway, Ireland, 1998. They were headlining a one-day festival, I went over with a couple of friends. When the Beasties played, it was like the entire crowd was a moshpit. I was standing behind the soundboard, (so way back) and everyone around me was going for it. After they finished, everyone was standing there with stupid big grins on their faces. I was almost unable to breathe, I'd been dancing so hard. A random girl came up and hugged me because she liked my Ramones shirt, then walked off.

3. New Order, Reading Festival, 1998 (or 1999). They played the Joy Division songs for the first time. Enough said, I think. People around me were grinning, hugging, crying with joy...

4. I was on drugs for this one...Blur at the Reading Festival, 2000. A great show. Made better because earlier our tent had been robbed, and my friends had had their credit cards nicked (and one of 'em was leaving the country the next day). Miraculously, I found the cards on the ground, 50 m from our tents. The swing from total despair to total joy was amazing.

5. Pixies, Sydney, 20007. My friend and I had been hanging out to see them for years. We finally pulled it off, it was a joyous set, we were there with our friends, pilled up, made friends with everyone around us, and the Pixies truly rocked.

I would add

Nirvana with whatshisname

And Garcia's last show with the Dead in Chicago.

My one regret is never seeing GG Allin. Just for the hell of it.

One of the greatest shows I've seen was Shellac on Halloween. But wait... It wasn't Shellac -it was The Sex Pistols with David Yow (Jesus Lizard) as Johnny Rotten doing the entire Sex Pistols album. Killer.

Saw Phish on Junta at a little show in Wi which was kind of cool.

Neil Young / Sonic Youth was a fantastic pairing.

Fugazi

In no particular order

1. Morrissey (Tulsa 1997)
2. Mansun (Reading 1998 )
3. David Lee Roth (St. Louis 1988 )
4. Robert Plant (Oklahoma City 1993)
5. Prodigy (Reading 1998 )

^
I was at your #5.

"We got a call...from the Beastie Boys"... *crowd cheers* "wait....wait....it's not what you think. They didn't want us to play....this next song.......we do what the fuck we want". As 'Smack My Bitch Up' starts, the crowd goes mental.

System of a Down @ Irving Plaza, NYC. Circa 2000

This show took place right before the Toxicity album dropped. Irving Plaza holds about 1000 people, and is a great, intimate place for a show. The show also only cost about $12 dollars I believe, mainly because the three opening acts were no-name local bands.

This show was so great not only because SOAD was amazingly on point that night (far better than the two times I had seen them before that), but because it was one of the last shows they would ever play in a venue of that size. After Toxicity, SOAD became the tremendously popular band they are today, and now can typically only be seen in larger arenas.

The band had an amazing rapport with the crowd that night, and everyone just seemed to have such a fun evening. No fights, no sound problems, a nice long set, and good vibes aplenty.

Although it may sound sappy or cliched, I felt like I was watching the small, quirky band that I loved so much blossoming right before my eyes - I knew after leaving the show that SOAD was going to become a juggernaut in the rock world.

*** going to add my other shows at another point in time**

Infinite Jest said:
^
I was at your #5.

"We got a call...from the Beastie Boys"... *crowd cheers* "wait....wait....it's not what you think. They didn't want us to play....this next song.......we do what the fuck we want". As 'Smack My Bitch Up' starts, the crowd goes mental.

I remember that. And then the Beasties came on. "I've got nothing against Prodigy. They're a good band. But where I'm from, a song called 'Smack My Bitch Up' is NOT cool."
And the crowd started boo-ing him and I've always wondered why. My guess is that it was an American getting preachy to Brits so the boo-ing was a patriotic response. I'm American myself so perhaps you can shed some light on that.
I also noticed Brits have a tendecy to heckle bands (which people were doing mercilesslessly to Echo And The Bunnymen). And pogoing; that's distinctly British too.
But yeah. Prodigy was insane. Theonly concert I've been to where I was actually in fear for my life.

SonOF said:
System of a Down @ Irving Plaza, NYC. Circa 2000

This show took place right before the Toxicity album dropped. Irving Plaza holds about 1000 people, and is a great, intimate place for a show. The show also only cost about $12 dollars I believe, mainly because the three opening acts were no-name local bands.

This show was so great not only because SOAD was amazingly on point that night (far better than the two times I had seen them before that), but because it was one of the last shows they would ever play in a venue of that size. After Toxicity, SOAD became the tremendously popular band they are today, and now can typically only be seen in larger arenas.

The band had an amazing rapport with the crowd that night, and everyone just seemed to have such a fun evening. No fights, no sound problems, a nice long set, and good vibes aplenty.

Although it may sound sappy or cliched, I felt like I was watching the small, quirky band that I loved so much blossoming right before my eyes - I knew after leaving the show that SOAD was going to become a juggernaut in the rock world.

i agree with this 100%, except out of the 3 times i've seen them.. i saw them in a similary small venue in Atlanta, GA (Tabernacle). They were incredibly on point the whole night. The show i'm speaking of was slightly after Toxicity though, with Dog fashion disco opening. Quite a show.

I only have two favorites...

The Who - back in the 80's

Greatful Dead - '79. 4 shows that summer.. no need to explaine why do I??? it's the dead after all..

i definiylt would say NIN, TOOL, METALLICA, BEASTIE BOYS, CHEMICAL BROTHERS, gonna go see RATM early next years whenthey tour australia cant wait for that

supertrav77 said:
And the crowd started boo-ing him and I've always wondered why. My guess is that it was an American getting preachy to Brits so the boo-ing was a patriotic response. I'm American myself so perhaps you can shed some light on that.
I also noticed Brits have a tendecy to heckle bands (which people were doing mercilesslessly to Echo And The Bunnymen). And pogoing; that's distinctly British too.
But yeah. Prodigy was insane. Theonly concert I've been to where I was actually in fear for my life.

I'm not British myself, so I don't know :). Probably more a bunch of amped up kids annoyed that someone was criticizing their band - but you could be right, could be a patriotism thing.

Heckling probably depends on your context: Reading is more of a rock crowd, they can be dickheads. Go somewhere like Glastonbury and I doubt you'd see the same thing.

#6/7: David Bowie at Glastonbury (2000) and in Wellington, NZ (2005): the first time I was very, very high and I thought he was amazing; the second time I was stone cold sober and I thought he was amazing. The man gives good show (plays long sets; plus the first time he had a throat infection, and the second time he was playing in pouring rain and very heavy winds, bad enough to close some of the roads into the city; but both times he kept smiling and joking and basically caring about doing a good show. A lot of people would have got pissed off and stopped playing).

In no order:

1. Go! Team in Sydney, Australia: the first time I saw them...fuck it was awesome.

2. Celine Dion in Las Vegas: yes, yes, I know. But it was awesome.

3. Regina Spektor in Sydney, Australia: better live than on album. It was truely, truely amazing.

4. Madonna in Sydney, Australia: the bitch hasn't been here for over a decade, but when she was here last she was great.

5. Moby in Sydney, Australia: I didn't know what to expect when I saw him but I walked away just on cloud nine. He was awesome.

Im sure there are others I cant think of but for now I stick by those as my Top 5 In No Particular Order.

P.S. I just noticed I used the word awesome alot. Oh well. Mr Thesaurus has failed me tonight.

I hate the lot of you. for your admirable shows. I've been to one. and that was actually a couple of weeks ago. I saw Interpol in Atlanta. quite an experience. good lawd.

Although I'm going to a show this month and the next. The one at the end of this month I'll be seeing Seaweed, Fiya, Andrew Jackson Jihad, The Beat Buttons, Circle Takes The Square, Dead To Me, Die Hoffnung, The Draft, & Planes Mistaken For Stars

In November, Thrice, mewithoutYou, and Brand New.

glawry.

1- Tool.....lateralus tour.

Was a fucking insane awe inspiring crazy good show! (the mushrooms helped)

2- Stabbing Westward and Placebo........small ass cleveland odeon show.....tripped balls on red gels my girl and me got from some random kid at the show...I swear every fucking person at this show was on 'cid...great time!

3- AFI.......at some small, now defunct, cleveland venue: euclid tavern. great hard fucking show for the Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes tour(before they got all weird with their music)

4- Rancid.......classic punk rock show......still kicked ass

5-???? I dont know, I've been to tons of shows and those were the most memorable.....

gotta get out more :D

In no particular order ;):
  • The Flaming Lips (Wakarusa 2006) I continue to attest that The Flaming Lips is a show that everyone should try to see in their life. It helps being a huge Flaming Lips fan but it's not necessary. They really provide that "togetherness" feeling in a show that is often lost to over-production.
  • Sigur Ros (09-23-05) Absolute bangin brilliance!
  • Radiohead (08-24-03) The St. Louis show that has already been mentioned by another in this thread. Fucking blew me away.
  • Daft Punk (08-03-07) Do I really need to elaborate?
  • Praxis (06-11-04) Buckethead, Bernie Worrell, Bill Laswell (meh) and Brain... with a special appearance from Les. A show I will positively never forget. Best funk experience you could ever imagine.

AmorRoark said:
In no particular order ;):
  • Praxis (06-11-04) Buckethead, Bernie Worrell, Bill Laswell (meh) and Brain... with a special appearance from Les. A show I will positively never forget. Best funk experience you could ever imagine.

I was at that show and it falls under my first:

1 - Bonnaroo 2004: The whole thing was fantastic. Every show I saw was really good. If i were forced to pick a single show it would be Dave Matthews & Friends.

2 - King's X at Trees, Dallas, TX 1998
: I was at this show with my band and we were drinking and smoking. So when KX started playing "Goldilox", we went down to the front and hopped up on stage with Doug and the guys. So, I'm leaning on Doug singing with him and almost get bowled over by an enthusiastic Dimebag Darrell joining us to sing. LOL So, at that point I'm wasted and on the stage with my band and members from 2 of my favorite bands, King's X and Pantera, and singing like only drunks can. What great time!!!

3 - Fishbone at Deep Ellum Live, Dallas, TX 1993: Fishbone with the Mighty, Mighty Bosstones opening?!?!?!?!! What an energetic show with great guys! If you don't know Fishbone, you're missing out!

4 - Dread Zeppelin at 328 Performance Hall, Nashville, TN 1990: How could I not rate this show? I believe the cheeseburgers the crowd tossed onto the stage for Tortelvis was what cinched it....or maybe it was my friend stage diving into a sparse part of the crowd and hitting the floor when they moved. =D

5 - Type O Negative at Trees, Dallas, TX 2003: TON were on that night and the crowd was dressed great with lots of little hotties in PVC and leather. I was drinking with Vinny Paul and Dime that night and just enjoying the show with the boys. Of course Dime has to go sing "Black Number 1" on stage while Vinny hung back with me. That show was also sad as that's the last time I saw Dime. RIP bro.....:(

1- Dream Theater at Roseland in NYC, 2000. This was the most amazing show I have ever been to, they played for around 5 hours and I was in pure bliss the ENTIRE time. Towards the end they asked the audience what they wanted to hear and played a few tracks that WE requested, this has almost never happened with any other band I have seen.

2 Dream Theater at Irving plaza, 96/97ish(memory is a bit fuzzy)- They played their set and then they played some songs where all of the band members switched around to different instruments. I think Mike portnoy sang, john petrucci played drums, John myung played guitar.. i can barely remember but it was AWESOME.

3- Rush, Counterparts tour (think this was in 94/95)- This was my first concert so it has always had some nostalgic value for me. My friend and his father only had 2 tickets so me and my friend went in and then my friend went back out with my ticket and brought his dad in. I just remember when they played Roll the Bones, was amazing.

4- Black Sabath reunion tour with Pantera at Nassau coliseum 97/98ish i think- This was the best pantera show i have ever seen, they came out towards the end and played a few black sabath songs with ozzy. They played warpigs and then black sabath played Cowboys from hell! My friend and I had about 1/2 oz of weed we had to sneak in to the venue so my friend cut a hole in his leather jacket and we stuffed it full of weed lol.

5- Primus at Radio City Music hall (2003ish)- They played a great set at this show, part of the reason it was so much fun was because the staff at radio city had no clue what they were getting themselves into. The amount of weed smoke that filled the venue was amazing, the looks on the guards faces was great. I don't remember a whole lot because i was shrooming really hard but I do remember them playing a great version of South Bound Pachyderm

1. Bonnaroo 2007
2. Tool (Winston-Salem 2002)
3. Robert Plant (HOB, Myrtle Beach 2004)
4. Kanye West (UNCW 2006)
5. MF Doom (Marrz, Wilmington NC 2005)

1. pearl jam at lollapalooza. trrrrrriiiiiiiipiing and fireworks and guitar solos and rocking the free world

2. the game/snoop dogg. honestly, the game was pretty fucking good. he also made it rain and i got $200, well the tix were like $45 but I caught $200 flying in the air at the concert and obviously was obviously good for when snoop dogg came out smoking b's like crazy...hehheehhehe

3. tecca nina. better than the game and snoop by miles and miles if i got some money at the show. he was good. got kicked out of the house of blues, halfway through the KMK set after his. i didn't give a shit cuz i was still pumped from tech.

bleh. nothing stands up now that was pretty good. i forgot what else the fuck i've went to that's worth noting. Seeing Down (yeah Phil I'm gonna fuck with you at the show) and Queens of the Stone Age in October. bleh.

1. Rolling Stones, Philly 2005

First time seeing my favorite band life, we were in the second row for the B-Stage. Me and my friend got water thrown on us by Mick Jagger from his water bottle. For the second time in my life time slowed down (the other time involved getting arrested). I literally had time to think "He's throwing water on us...The water is getting closer...Why is the water taking so long?" Then ::splash!:: I felt like I had been baptized. I jokingly told my good friend who had never been really baptized that he would no longer be going to hell. I was fairly sober for this occurrence, which made it all the more awesome.

2. The Who, MSG 2000

My first concert, got high as hell with my good friend. Nuff' said.

3. GNR, MSG November 2006

Axl is one of my heroes so I don't want to hear how it's not GNR anymore, the man could be snake dancing while screeching out the alphabet and halfway through start a riot, and I'd still put it on this list. We were in GA, and by the end had gotten to about the equivalent of the second or third row, near center.

4. Rolling Stones, Giants Stadium 2006.

Because it's the Rolling Stones. Note that I bought the same friend a ticket (from the secondary market) two years in a row to see the Stones for MY BIRTHDAY. Well worth it though to see the Gods of all music.

5. David Bowie, Philly March 2004.

I had been a huge Bowie fan for a few years, this show converted a friend of mine. I can't wait to see him again, he is my third favorite rock act behind the other guys on this list.