• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

SO Photography Contest Discussion!!

hey so about the 2d design contest.. it says something about manipulating mediums in real life or something.. but people have submitted digital art to that one.. so is that ok? maybe the other contest could have its rules expanded/clarified so people knew they could put enter their shopped pics there? :dunno: :)

frizzantik said:
hey so about the 2d design contest.. it says something about manipulating mediums in real life or something.. but people have submitted digital art to that one.. so is that ok? maybe the other contest could have its rules expanded/clarified so people knew they could put enter their shopped pics there? :dunno: :)

2-D Contest Rules said:
No complete photographs; i.e. pieces of photos/images may be used as long as the manipulation is obvious; there will be a suitable thread for your 100% manipulated/photoshopped photographs (in the near future).
I agree that the first line (The idea here is the physical manipulation of mediums in real life) needs to be clarified. Thanks for pointing it out, frizz.

[humour]

L2R said:
look at these photoshopped images.

would you consider these "heavily manipulated"?

L2R, doesn't your camera have the Sepia 2.0, Kiwi Jungle Book, Martian Fish Landscape, or the Walk on Water modes? Let's get with the times already!

[/humour]

;)

it inserts a mowgli? boss!

im still curious about the resistace. I like all those photographs better than ours, and its terribly hard to get a nice warm light without fixing the color levels. Don't we all like nice things?

^
Thanks for getting the Jungle Book reference. :)

Don't we all like nice things?
I believe people are opting for the KISS approach here. The majority being point and shoot hobbyists, I don't see anything wrong with that.

just like breasts.
fakers may look better in shirts but reallydooleys feel better ;)

so I take it you don't like magazines, or professional photos?

all photos are fakes.

SillyAlien said:
I believe people are opting for the KISS approach here. The majority being point and shoot hobbyists, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Isn't thin ultimate KISS the absence of the rule entirely? There's no obligation to complicate your hobby with anything other than cropping and resizing

atlas said:
Isn't thin ultimate KISS the absence of the rule entirely?
No. KISS is "less is better", not "nothing is best". Nice try though.

I know the following was directed at L2R, but...
BL is not a magazine or a professional photo forum.

all photos are fakes
Raw, unedited photos are not fake, the way the general photo world interprets them. If you wish to take this into a deeper discussion on whether all reproductions should be defined as fake or not, I'll be happy to split this off into its own thread and shuffle it off to the Philosophy forum.

ceci_nest_pas_une_pipe-752827.jpg

^fake
its not a pipe its a representation of a pipe...
:|

^
I'm talking about pieces which could at least try to qualify for the contest. What are you talking about? Because that up there certainly couldn't, for a myriad of reasons.

i was just trying to say that all photo are "fake" anyway, they just represent a part of reality...

i thought we where already in the Philosophy & Spirituality mode...

atlas said:

all photos are fakes.

actually yes, i don't. magazine images of airbrushed models looks errily subhuman, or inhuman and are revolting to me.

ninjadanslarbretabar said:
i was just trying to say that all photo are "fake" anyway, they just represent a part of reality...

i thought we where already in the Philosophy & Spirituality mode...
ninja, please re-read the last sentence in my post #68. Thanks

atlas said:
There's no obligation to complicate your hobby with anything other than cropping and resizing

Quite the contrary. Allowing some to spend hours on polishing their images would in turn obligate other entries to spend just as much time to compete fairly.

SillyAlien said:
I'll be happy to split this off into its own thread and shuffle it off to the Philosophy forum.

:)
thats why i did it
it was my Philosophy & Spirituality brand of humor...:(

sorry

why not let the voters decide? if you don't like the photo or artwork or feel it doesn't fit the rules, then don't vote for it.

chrissie said:
why not let the voters decide? if you don't like the photo or artwork or feel it doesn't fit the rules, then don't vote for it.
No disrespect, chrissie, but should we then include in the poll absolutely every entry submitted, regardless of how far from the rules each has departed? That opens this up to (the argument for) ditching the rules altogether, doesn't it?

holy crap i missed the whole argument....
and i started it. ha
owell.
im over it.

chrissie said:

this coming from the expert in computer graphics, who if the rules were made lenient, could probably enter a photo that never even involved a camera !

but to answer you question, well, that's simply not going to happen. people will inevitably vote for the prettiest entry. the majority of voters are lurkers who don't even contribute a response to why they voted for whoever let alone put in images.

i've found the same thing happen in the facey pastey comps. generally the best quality work (graphics wise) will win and not the funniest. this is despite the glaringly obvious humourous intent for the whole thing.

Would it be frivolous to have a mirror thread with the same theme as the original photography contest but with no limitations on post processing?