• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

SO Photography Contest Discussion!!

BA said:
You shoot the picture, you enter it in the contest - end of story.

All this fuckin crying and blabbering on and on about photoshopping is ridiculous. This is a photography contest - not a silly photo manipulation contest.

So wait, you can't use bit torrent or photoshop? What the hell are you good for, BA? ;)

Hmm personally, I would go with the "as is", just to make things simple. I have no long-winded argument to back this up. It's just more challenging, and makes you put more thought into your photo while you're taking it.

Damn you people with DSLRs! Soon I'll have one too.

Having only participated in 2 rounds, I don't know how much weight my opinion has, but I'd have to lean towards non-manipulated. If they had a picture of 'beginner photographer' in the dictionary, it'd be me, and as it is I'm usually quite outclassed by the entries. If manipulation were allowed, it would make it pointless for very inexperienced people such as myself to enter.

I'm not opposed to any manipulation of photos in general, nor am I opposed to getting a copy of photoshop and learning how to use it. However, I'll likely be so far behind others who already use PS that there may still be virtually no point in my participating.

Personally, I thought that the point of the contest was for people who wouldn't necessarily go out and take pictures for the hell of it to do so. A contest based on composition if you will, rather than how polished the final product may be. Not that I'd boycott the contest if manipulation were allowed, I just likely wouldn't be able to get any votes with my 'all auto' photos.

Dtergent-- ditto, except that I won't be getting a DSLR anytime soon

ninjadanslarbretabar said:
did you understood the op's post ?

ill try to show you :
[filler]

personally i ain't got any problem with the rules, i just want to participate
if i wanted my own rules i would have started my own thread

:)

Umm ninjawhatever - not to burst your bubble... but I never said anything about you. I'm sure you think your $200 non-image stabilized, no-battery power display having Canon 1000 is the end-all-be-all because it has some color splash feature but my argument was directed more towards those who saturate, layer, shade, blur, and sharpen their images using software.

And atlas, bit torrent incompetencies aside - you should really look at the Nikon D40 or D40x if you are considering a Rebel XTi. :D

ok maybe i should say it like that :

BA would you have had a problem with my entry if it would have been this one :

1427764659_9884ac07c8_o.jpg

and if so, why ? ( where do you draw the line ?)

I think the problem people will have with it in general, ninja, is that it doesn't look like the scene you took a photo of.

And, if I can jump in for a moment and not derail your direct question to BA (and I hope he answers), my proposal would be that you should not be able to adjust a photo such that it looks substantially different than the scene you originally shot. But you should be able to make it look like the scene you captured, whether that's done by changing the brightness, contrast, sharpness, or white balance. Hell, even Irfanview, a free image editing and display program that's probably the single most popular non-OS program in the world, can do those things in less than a minute the first time you use it. It's not about manipulation, it's about making the photo look like what you shot. There would be three exceptions, to borrow from L2R: cropping, resizing, and B&W. Again, this is just my $0.02 USD, revised as stated here, and I will participate no matter what is decided.

ninjadansblahblah's image does indeed throw a spanner in our previous rule: whatever you can manage with your camera at the moment of taking the picture.
therefore, the rules need to change in some way. to keep things minimal and easy for the greatest amount of participants, i think it should be as stated earlier and reiterated in Johnny1's post.

just to be sure ill quote myself...

personally i ain't got any problem with the rules, i just want to participate

so ill ask this for the fun of this discussion ..:)
a black and white of that shot would have been accepted ? (funny thing is on that B&W round i did use a software to tuned my colored pic into shades of grey...)

BA said:
And atlas, bit torrent incompetencies aside - you should really look at the Nikon D40 or D40x if you are considering a Rebel XTi. :D

I need to get with you, and hash it out, since you seem sage.

atlas: check this link out. I am going to buy either a D40 or D40x sometime within the next month. I am a camera review junkie so I can steer you to good sites for reviews if needed.

ninja: I dont know what to make of your picture, but johnny1 summed it up nicely. It doesn't represent a scene the way it was when you took the picture. My camera has that same feature as yours & a fisheye lens feature, should that be allowed? I dont submit those images because ultimately, it's just not the way I took it.

I think deep down everyone knows what the hell a "simple picture" consists of for entry into a photo contest. I just don't see the need to split hairs over digital processing of it. :|

BA said:
ninja: I dont know what to make of your picture, but johnny1 summed it up nicely. It doesn't represent a scene the way it was when you took the picture. My camera has that same feature as yours & a fisheye lens feature, should that be allowed? I dont submit those images because ultimately, it's just not the way I took it.

I think deep down everyone knows what the hell a "simple picture" consists of for entry into a photo contest. I just don't see the need to split hairs over digital processing of it. :|
Bingo.

ya, but everybody used the macro function to take photos for the macro round, and danmed if people who don't have SLRs shouldn't be allowed to use the expensive lenses they bought.

As is is seems absurd to me. We're talking about technology, not magic. Cameras are a series of varied parts that captures the likeness of the real world. Its not a copy. Photographs of the grand canyon generally don't look quite as awesome as the real thing. The social notion that cameras provide some kind of truth died about 150 years ago. If you're shooting with a digital camera, you're already digitally processing.

I will continue to agitate in this thread. :D <3

^the total time and energy that you're spending on this argument can be diverted towards working a little "harder" professionally and saving a little more so that you can buy a camera that works. :p

p.s. my phone has no macro function

atlas said:
I will continue to agitate in this thread. :D <3
i might delete it ;)

TBH i don't really understand why some of you guys are so fervently opposed to the current simple rules. do you actually want to have an advantage over people who don't have the skills, inclination or time to tweak their entries in photoshop?

i don't think the spirit of the competition is so difficult to understand.

compose > shoot > crop > upload

leave out the fancy on-camera or post processing. simple. :)

^ i agree.

i'd like to think we can operate this just fine on the honour system. if you think something's been heavily manipulated, query the photographer and/or don't vote for them.

alasdair

Then it's settled.

Can we move this thread to Philosophy & Spirituality where it belongs? :D

ninjadanslarbretabar said:
"fisheye lens" cool, i would love to have that feature %)

My camera has this feature and I love it. :)

felix said:
TBH i don't really understand why some of you guys are so fervently opposed to the current simple rules. do you actually want to have an advantage over people who don't have the skills, inclination or time to tweak their entries in photoshop?

you are under the understandable, but incorrect, delusion that i have these skills.

look at these photoshopped images.

would you consider these "heavily manipulated"?