• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Art Post some ART that you're feeling today - and why?

Collaborative 3-D collage by my fifth/sixth graders (27 kids)

That's a really neat idea.. I don't recall doing any collaborative efforts when we did art at school. Being an arty person, are there any painters out there who work collaboratively? That would be interesting to see.

tumblr_mqv2z1z9FX1sodq0ro1_1280.jpg

Sempervirens ‘Stricta’, 1995, sally mann

because it gives that feeling like when you come up over a hill too fast on a road cutting through farm country and can suddenly see expansive nothing with the sun positioned as a dot. because it's not included in any of her photo books. because it can be shared without fear of judgment or prosecution.

she released a memoir recently. titled it Hold Still. damn, that's a title. sharp, dark, and unapologetic.

^ i like that

norahborges13.jpg

norahborges15.jpg

these are by Norah Borges, i like them because there is something incredibly soothing and original about the style of the pictures, the characters have a delightfully melancholic expression and i find the composition to be perfect.

because it gives that feeling like when you come up over a hill too fast on a road cutting through farm country and can suddenly see expansive nothing with the sun positioned as a dot. because it's not included in any of her photo books. because it can be shared without fear of judgment or prosecution.

she released a memoir recently. titled it Hold Still. damn, that's a title. sharp, dark, and unapologetic.
if you like that (and i do too) you might like mark tansey's work. check it out.

alasdair

Hunters in The Snow by Pieter Bruegel the Elder (1565)

Linked because it's a stupendously large image (would still load if embedded between NSFW tags)

Aside from being awesome renaissance art, an interesting thing to note is that winter-themed art around this time period was supposedly inspired by the "Little Ice Age", a [roughly] half-century stretch of extreme climate conditions in Europe from the mid 16th century to the start of the 17th

Oh and if you look closely at the people you can see them curling and playing hockey... in the 1500s...

thrilled to hear you like the sally mann photograph and i appreciate the recommendation, alasdair.

cool painting, thujone. fun to look at is a whole and then click expand, cropping the details into new, seemingly full paintings.

i'm feeling mark tansey's Robbe-Grillet Cleansing Every Object in Sight ...

Robbe-Grillet-Cleansing-Eve.jpg

because the artist was recommended by a fellow bluelighter. it's also worth expanding to the full-size version. his paintings remind me of flannery o'connor -- oddly american. honorable mentions go to The Bricoleur's Daughter and a study of Installing the Lens. The Bricoleur's Daughter and a lot of his others have the same aesthetic as those ultra-intricate prints made from etched metal plates. i like how he depicts light.

Last edited:

Thank you for posting this. I have not seen it - resonates with me much.

Hockney comes to mind, but of course the style is much different. ^ Love it! Thank you for sharing - I indeed see the digital distortion. I have not seen any artist do this before.

tumblr_ny4h0kulAY1qhczg1o1_1280.jpg

by konstantin razumov, can't find title or date

because of the rococo look. love the colors. has a pulp art feel, and looking at some of his other stuff affirms that classification. reminds me of david hamilton.

checked out some hockney, Smokey. i'd seen his stuff before but didn't recognize the name. he and beck sure like pools.

^ i thought of sofia coppola's marie antoinette when i saw that, and see you posted that behind the scenes shot in the photo film thread. did you make that connection as well or was it totally random ?

definitely recognized the similarities when i was posting the Marie Antoinette on set pic, but it was just chance that i found the two pieces in the same week. well not complete chance; i am after a certain kind of imagery, and it often incorporates young girls, pastels, and chiffon.

ah, know what ya mean...

Günther Uecker (German, b. 1930), Acrylic and nails on canvas laid on board
tumblr_nhmskaQwoz1u6x3h6o1_500.jpg

got a raw, violent vibe from this one... i dig it. only time i've seen nails used on a canvas o_O

this is a trippy bracteate from the Nordic Iron Age

NSFW:
Germanic_bracteate_from_Funen%2C_Denmark_%28DR_BR42%29.jpg

There's almost nothing written about it but it's supposedly some sort of amulet that refers to Odin (proto-Norse) and seems to depict a goddess, possibly Odin's wife Frigg. It's funny to think this could easily pass as some sort of modern art but was likely made a full thousand years prior to the start of the Renaissance in Europe.

Art nowadays seems so ephemeral, in relation to all the stuff created over thousands of years and buried in the ground, much of which is probably still in the ground somewhere we just haven't bothered to look yet. It's crazy to think that in a thousand years people may still be finding bracteates alongside BluRay discs and they will view both of those things as just being artifacts from bygone eras where primitive humans murdered one another hoping to win a spot in some mythical afterlife waiting room.

^ dope

diggin this functional art by ingrid donat. i find the sound to be extremely satisfying...

hey that's pretty cool, would go well with an engine block coffee table :D most of the designs have the block horizontal but i like the vertical look myself

bmw-engine-block-coffee-table-6.jpg

onAxK6W.jpg

probably made mostly of concrete but i still think it's pretty cool