• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Art Post some ART that you're feeling today - and why?

Keith Haring! I just saw his exhibit in SF and it was amazing--all that work in basically 10 years. I have been teaching my middle school age students about him and they have been inspired. Where is this?

auJC2KA.jpg

]
StC3qMT.jpg
df1jjFt.jpg

Last edited:
That is the most inspiring thing I have seen in a while. psychogeographies. window sandwich. i want to make a window sandwich 'borne out of accidents'

I like his idea of having all memories trapped inside. He gets inspired from the weather and collects all sort of materials. Super creative.

nice find with the glass pane figures, Joe.

The New York Times adapted an excerpt of sally mann's yet published memoir into an article, Sally Mann's Exposure. the headline is embarrassing, but it was a worthwhile read. most striking was the alpha justification of her art. when it comes to feminism, i fully support a nice fuzzy ideal. radical talk of of one force having to give for another to rise is unpleasant, and so is sally mann's zealous talk of her "frail" husband and "naive" children accepting sacrifice to fulfill her vision. she recognizes that what is being sacrificed is not hers, but talks about the sacrifice as if she owns it with them. she expresses admiration for their willingness.

that's an article, not a piece of art. so i got one more from the New York Times for you all ...

tumblr_ndpk27Lnhs1qhczg1o1_500.jpg

sorry about the low quality copy; the New York Times no longer hosts theirs and this is the best remaining (online). they'll capitalize on controversial photography, but are huge wimps about it. they published an oped absolving themselves from an accident made in some chance environment that is no more. the piece is choice pr. the writer won't call out the already published and appreciated photo. instead he embraces the incompatibility explanation as the content, not The New York Times, will be inappropriate by default.

paolo roversi is a dope photographer but applies his signature effects too heavy. the above is one of many great exceptions. over 2,500 notes since i posted it on my essentially unfollowed tumblr. i'm feeling the above photo because the appreciation is rescinded in observing its technical taboo, yet at first glance society can't help but find it beautiful.

Last edited:
Nice find ^

First one and the third were my favorites. Beautiful.
Did you take them? It looks as if you were using a camera with film in it.

Hi Erik,
I did, but they look so small from the mag…. and clumped together. I'll have to post one larger.
Thanks so much. The wood/beach one was in Mendocino!

I've always had a thing for illegal sculptures.

new-revs-sculpture-dumbo.jpg

Revs is one of my favorite graffiti artists. A bunch of his sculptures throughout the 90's were too difficult to remove so the police couldn't do anything about them.

10345770555_d0e4cf3cb1_b.jpg

2014-01-07-brooklynstreetartREVSjaimerojo010514web4.jpg

nice to some activity up in here.

smoky, rad installation piece of the flowers in what looks like a cathedral. checked out some more of her work, lovely. i wanna lay down lookin up at the view in the last pic =)

dro, was looking at some images from the photographers you mentioned, i see some share a similar quality the b/w have this... o god i can't even put it into words right now been up all night. but there is a natalia vodianova photo in both google image searches. real good quote from sally you posted on tumblr.

Revs is one of my favorite graffiti artists. A bunch of his sculptures throughout the 90's were too difficult to remove so the police couldn't do anything about them.
14.gif

The first and last one speak volumes.. Very strong symbolism

I build the sculptures in situ and follow strict rules: no pre-planning, cutting, or gluing; tethers must be visible; no assistance in building them, etc.
tumblr_nml5pbjzCk1r8owpgo1_500.jpg

With the paintings, after building layers of the surface (either with paint or various non-traditional substrates), I use tools (rather than brushes) to reveal what’s underneath.

tumblr_nbjqowqniI1qfeshoo1_500.jpg

http://www.juliadault.com/

dig the colors and shapes
14.gif

Anything by Dali. His work takes the beholder on a journey, and the journey is a little bit different every time.

AmKZLXg.jpg

visited a friend this weekend and they have this oil painting in their house - i love it:

deerpic01.jpg

alasdair