• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

COMMUNITY PROJECT - Creating an "effects profile" for psychedelics

I'm using www.freeonlinesurveys.com in my example on the second page. You can use it for free except it's limited to pretty small surveys (only 50 people allowed). But you can upgrade for $10. But we should get together and only upgraqde one account, when we feel like we're ready.

I plan to work on this today, as I think I'll have some time later.

Solipsys said:
From what I read there were far too few responses for rare chemicals, if we continue I suggest we leave the survey open for response for a very long time. Surely eventually we will see enough results for first acid and mushrooms, then stuff like 2C-B and MDA, then 2C-E and 5-MeO-DiPT, etc. We'd have to constantly update our results, and meanwhile keep feeding new responses into the statistical machinery... we will need all the advertisement we can get. Post all over the net, mouth-to-mouth, get as many people who have been involved with psychedelics and especially unresearched ones to know of it's existence. I wonder what the future will bring...

We will have to advertise. I wonder if I could get Erowid to post a link?

Maybe it's lame to reference to the butterfly effect, but we need to examine the causality of our little project and weigh it as well as we can in the face of society.

Interestingly, a few psychonautical folks from many backgrounds have commented to me that Bluelight PD will be one of the most important resources on psychedelics ever compiled, and efforts to maintain and keep it refereenceable for severl hundred years should be made.

Incidentally, I can't open the survey- is it still a word document? Anyway, I'm down with this as it seems to be being done very well. :)

Great guys, thanks for the support!! =D
I've made some tiny adjustments and will update the download link asap.
Why can't you open the survey w11 (not nintendo), would you like it in another format?

Is this the thread? alright.. well here it goes. I've only done two forms of psychadelics unfortunately because of where i live.. hard drugs are impossible to find up here.

Mushrooms:
- Intense feelings of euphoria
- Tracers like mad
- Auditory hallucinations
- Closed eye hallucinations
- (at high doses) Open eye hallucinations
- Colors/3 Dimensional objects can appear

Salvia
- Crazy ego loss
- Intense open eye visuals (being sent to other worlds/dimensions etc)
- Extreme body high (sensations of being pulled in different directions at once)
- Blending of the senses (hearing smells)
- Basically your just really really fucked up on salvia.. I dont know if this is the same as LSD but I've read up on DMT and it seems fairly similar.

Alright guys, I've massively updated the survey to include most of the things I'm thinking about the design of the survey. I would of course love to have anyone's input into how to make it better. The main thing about the survey is that the effects are asked in a series of questions, one question per grouping of effects. It's in a grid, and for each effect you select either "Did not experience" or a rating from 1 to 5. The rating scale is explained in the survey.

I'm using the free version of the survey software so far, so I can't put the questions on separate pages. But I'll be upgrading when it's time to launch the survey so it'll be on separate pages then.

Solipsys, I'm about to get into your Word document survey and try to incorporate things from there as well.

Here's the link: psychedelic survey prototype

Ah, damn... $10 per month to upgrade, not just $10. Still, worth it. I was going to sign up now and utilize the extended capabilities, but I think I'll wait until it's about time to go up.

Such commitment :)
It would be so nice if Erowid and MAPS would have a banner of this initiative, I'll ask them if you don't but a mod will probably make more of an impression...
Now if anyone knows what needs to be done at this point? =D

I like the survey :) I still haven't had time to dig up the APZ/ASC scale :\

Solipsys said:
Such commitment :)
It would be so nice if Erowid and MAPS would have a banner of this initiative, I'll ask them if you don't but a mod will probably make more of an impression...
Now if anyone knows what needs to be done at this point? =D

I will take care of asking Erowid... already thought of it.

Please, anyone give me ideas to improvement. We also need an aftereffects section. And if anyone has any ideas for removing or adding attributes to rate for any of the effects categories, I am also interested in those.

I added a color question in there also... perhaps it would not yield anything useful but it would be interesting to see if people tend towards the same colors in visual effects.

We could get this going in a pretty short time if we work at it. :) I'm doing so but I've got other kinds of work to do as well.

EDIT: Erowid has been propositioned. :)

Last edited:
I'm thinking of playing around with PHP/MySQL to make a more accessible version of this survey so that the people taking it can also view the results of others, and perhaps see a breakdown of effects by drugs. I thought about making it searchable by effects, but something tells me people would try to use it for ID purposes.

Would either Xorkoth of Solipsys mind if I used your survey as a starting point to whip up something like this?

I would not mind :) In fact, I encourage you to do so.

I think it would be best to keep it to being viewable by substance, rather than allowing complex searches by effect.

Eventually, whether in my version or someone else's, I hope we can get data in a nice format, flat ASCII or perhaps Excel or similar form of delimited file. Then I can run data tables and perhaps weight the data based on some of the factors at rthe beginning of the survey, and we can come up with a mean value from the rating scale for each effect for each substance.

^^ I'll PM you a link when I get something done, and see what you think. I'd rather not go giving out a URL until I can get hosting that's a bit more secure than my own computer. :p

this is an awesome idea!

i liked terence mckenna's idea of "the one unifying effect of psychedelics"; they dissolve boundaries.

edit: for the sake of writing this down while i can pinpoint it, lsd's closed-eye visuals have always been red, yellow, & green for me.

Just a little update for those who care. I'm going forward with my idea. The site layout and security stuff (encryption, sessions, user registration) is pretty much done, and I'm going to complete some more backend code before I go ahead with adding the actual content. It's actually looking pretty sweet so far!

More information as I make more progress, but planned features are as follows:

* Charts and graphs about different substances and their effects

* Quick info about each substance, like chemical name, CAS, etc.

* Links to Erowid, and substance-specific links (ie: DXM -> Dextroverse, Shrooms -> Shroomery, Ecstacy -> Pillreports), and hopefully links to B&D threads here on bluelight where applicable.

* Slightly more information in the survey than what I saw on Xorkoth's, like negative effects (which I think I saw were still being decided on), other substances the person might be on, or the ability to supply a link to bl or erowid if they want to link a qualitative trip report.

I have a lot of ideas, and I'm making really good time so far. I seem to start web projects and then lose stamina, but I always seem to be working on shit I don't care about rather than stuff that's interesting.

If anyone has ideas about things they'd like to see or questions or anything, just post, or feel free to PM me.

I seem to start web projects and then lose stamina

You and me both... out of curiosity, when's your birthday?

Thanks for taking the idea and running with it... I'll be curious to see what the result is. :)

Heh, I'm a Gemini (May 25th). I think sometimes my fun-loving id personality takes my analytical, motivated personality out behind the hippocampus, beats it up, and takes its lunch money. :p

Xorkoth said:
Thanks for taking the idea and running with it... I'll be curious to see what the result is.
Not a problem. I've been trying to think of something that I could do to help the community, and I never heard anything back about my app to review Trip Reports at Erowid. I saw this and figured it played to my strengths, plus I think the actual idea is just fascinating.

Awesome! I knew it! So am I ;) I so knew you were a Gemini... particulaly the bit about starting projects with a lot of stgeam and then losing interest before they're done. That's so classically Gemini and I'm the epitome of that. I tend to be an idea person but unless I'm forced to or it's something that happens to remain interesting long enough (or be a short enough to complete task), I rarely am able to finish it. Hence I have lots of partially finished projects.

June 7th for me.

I'm surprised you never heard back from Erowid... they're always needing help. Although we've got plenty of triagers, even more could only benefit us more. If you want I can ask if they've seen your app, if you PM me the email you used.

Lol yeah losing stamina is one thing, there's always work piling up and effort to be divided... I just don't hope attention is lost on a longer term :)

Not because of this but for challenge and curiosity I'm gonna go ahead and transform my own (word) survey into a web format according to my liking. I can even get it hosted on a friend's domain. There hasn't been a terrible lot of feedback, am I safe to assume the basic version will do?

Don't let this inhibit your own endeavors though, ideally we get multiple parralel version so we can all decide what works.

^ To each his own. :)

I'm rewriting code from scratch now, because I realized how out of practice I am, and I'd developed some bad habits. Coding security from the ground up as well, which may seem too anal, but I plan on recycling some of this code for another project, and frankly you can never be too paranoid. That means guarding against session hijacks, XSS exploits, SQL injection, etc. I'm also reviewing the hashing system options, because if you're using md5() and crypt() and trying to convince yourself you're protecting anything, then you need to read more. :p

In short, I'm taking my time, but I'm making sure I do it right the first time.