• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

cocaine overdose?

charfles

Bluelighter
i've been wondering this, how much cocaine would you need to take to overdose. obviously its different for every person but on average what is the quantity needed?

a WHOLE lot. there definiley is no exact number, but it has got to be a lot. it mostly depends on the persons tolerance and the quality of the coke.
peace, outkast

If you are injecting, however, the dose can be VERY little. Sometimes as little as 25 mgs.

i meant with like normal street quality coke snorted, say like 25% cutter, how much would need to be snorted for a healthy human to overdose?

wow, its hard to get a straight answer here, im wondering because whenever you hear about someone od'ing on it then never say how much they took.

To overdose, an average user would need to snort 1gram+ of pure cocaine.

charfles.. it's because they don't know, you can't really figure out how much the person did after they od.
for most drugs, for most people, the amount you need to od is pretty high.
but there's always a chance something fatal could happen at a lower dose, especially with a drug like coke.
in all reality, given the huge number of people who use various controlled substances, those kinds of things are extremely rare.. i mean, huge numbers of drug users spend years doing incredibly stupid things that *should* technically kill them, but they don't die.
but some do, and you have to consider that.

Charfles,
An interesting thing about drugs is that each person has their own sensitivity levels to drugs. I've been searching for LD50 information on cocaine for ages and have found nothing conclusive. Grinspoon and Bakalar say in their book "Cocaine: A Drug and It’s Social Evolution" that it is 20 mg/kg orally in dogs or 10 mg/kg subcutaneously/intravenously (p.111-115).
In the book I've listed below the author talks about people having various levels of cocaine in the blood and over-dosage. The studies are not conclusive to say the least, so I can't specifically give an accurate LD50. Plus, taking into account the adulterants and fillers nobody could know how potent the cocaine is.
Bottom line - like all drugs it's a gamble.
I've posted this book before, but it's a good one if you're interested in pathology and pharmacology of illicit drugs:
"Pathology of Drug Abuse" by Steven B. Karch (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0849394643/ )
------------------
- Rabbit Joker [¿Dig it?]

The average saturation point for humans is said to be 1.5 grams of cocaine.

I think 1-1.5grams of pure cocaine. But if that is the LD50, some people will die from lesser doses like 500mg (snorted).

You also have to take into account the fact that a particular binge might cause a stroke or arterial spasm in the brain. In this case, you might not die, you'd just have little to no use of the part of your body associated with the stroke.
Cocaine thickens the blood while also working to constrict veins.
------------------
"It's dangerous to confuse children with angels."
-Magnolia
"Never ask the centipede why it walks, or it will stumble."
-Michael Haneke