• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Problems with College Bureaucracy:

Edvard Munch

Bluelighter
I know you have them. Problems with loans, enrollment issues, academic status, and other BS you'd rather go without dealing with.

In example, I spent my entire afternoon yesterday clearing up an issue which had me NOT ENROLLED when I clearly was. Basically I missed a semester so the computer drops me from enrollment status permenently and no one mentioned that to me.

Sorry if this thread has been done before, but I think this C&U needs new threads.

university bureaucracy and red tape exists only to fuck people around. If they finally do get around to sorting something out, it has taken for fucking ever. I went for 6 weeks without my scholarship being paid because of fucking bureaucracy... I kinda needed that money to eat and pay rent... but hey, I'm sure the 15 levels of bureaucracy were really efficient... really...

BAH!

I transferred last Fall and every class was accepted except for one...Buisness Ethics. I got my department head to accept it as a class required called "Law & Ethics". I brought the form to the advising people...dropped it where I was supposed to. Fast forward to now...went for my senior audit a few weeks ago and found out they seem to have lost the form. Yea...great. Now I need to speak to the NEW department head (who by email is understanding and said to see her when classes start again) and they also seem to have lost my declaration of my minor. WTF????

Edvard- This forum is always a little slower in summer months imo. When September rolls around there is plenty to discuss :D

college truly is a joke.......an important part of learning is for the professor to actually be quiet for a moment and listen to the students

I switched colleges within my university last year through a really convoluted process. When I was trying to figure out how to get it done (took about a semester) I hit a dead end and finally e-mailed my adviser on how to transfer over, to which I got an responce telling me to look at a website with instructions...which in turn told me to e-mail an advisor.

OK for your financial aid in the US (fafsa) and the financial aid in my state NY (TAP) you either must be:
in the army or discharged,
married or,
an orphan of the state before you were 18,
or older than 24

to be considered an "independent" student. Even if your parents don't claim you as a dependent on their taxes, even if they stopped supporting you years ago, unless you meet the above criteria you cannot get state financial aid.

Also NY state considers that if your parents make more than $81,000 a year (US) that your parents have enough money to send you to college and you don't need financial aid.

I'm still fucked. I never got my state financial aid last year, but somehow my documentation that I am indeed an independent student was good enough for the federal government, but not good enough for the state of NY. So now all my aid is on hold until I apply again....and again....and again until someone listens to me and understands that my parents kicked me out and don't want anything to do with me since my hardcore heroin problems (which happened almost 2 years ago).

I got all the documentation, all sorts of proof, letters from my probation officer and multiple rehab consolers, my taxes from the prior years...and the state just doesn't wanna give me my $1300-ish dollers. :!

Arzi said:
college truly is a joke.......an important part of learning is for the professor to actually be quiet for a moment and listen to the students

I'm not a professor by any means, but I've done some training and I can tell you I would love to have more students speak up. Trust me, there's nothing worse than asking 'any questions' and getting a blank response; nothing better than getting a really insightful question that shows that someone's been thinking about the topic and has learned something :)

^ When I was in university, I used to be one of the very few people who ever participated because they were genuinely interested in sharing their opinion.

The sad thing is that most people are in school just to get their diploma and find a job, and they will ONLY participate if there are marks alotted to participation. I have actually heard students complaining about other students participating, saying things like "no one cares about your opinion anyway..etc".

It is sickening.

As for unversity bureaucracy... don't get me started. To me, the whole institution of university is designed as a merit-based bureaucracy that exist for a single purpose: to drain as much money as possible from studets. I could go on forever on this. Perhaps I will post more details from my experience when I have tiime...

I thought of another one.
at the University of Rochester (ny) you have to pay a $500 deposit, once your accepted. And every student (no matter what) must buy a meal plan....even if you live off campus. The meal plans go anywhere from $500+ a semester.
My sister spent almost as much money on her freshman year @ U of R as she spent getting her masters @ the university of Syracuse.

as far as financial aid goes:
I'm still getting letters in the mail saying i need my parents financial information, then i send back a letter saying my parents don't support me, then they send a letter back asking for my parents financial information......repeated over and over again all last semester, all summer and all fall thus far. I'm about to give up but free money from the state is oh so nice.