• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Miscellaneous Mescaline vs. LSD

Which do you like better: mescaline or LSD?

• mescaline

Votes: 95 31.7%
  • LSD

Votes: 121 40.3%
  • no preference

Votes: 84 28.0%

• Total voters

Curran!

Bluelighter
In your guys' opinion, what's more fun/rewarding: Mescaline/mescaline-containing cactii or LSD and why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Because synthetic mescaline is so rare, please consider "mescaline" to include all mescaline-containing cacti, as well.

I kinda assumed that mescaline would include the cacti as well, but I'll be more specific next time.

Mescaline always lasts as long as LSD for me.

It's a lot gentler than LSD and less likely to overwhelm you.

I've edited the post to include 5HT's suggestion, and to add a bit more then the fun as a reason to choose either drug. I don't have a preference really, though I don't belivev I'll be taking a lot of LSD again. Mescaline suits me a bit more these days, but each has its place.

Mescaline over LSD... done it once, but i look forward to trying it again soon... LSD i've done many times, but theres just nothing like some good cactus tea... Oh the Taste!

the cactus is the teacher of the times....

acid is flashing colors and laughs.

(honestly i do respect lsd infinitely, i just feel tempted talk it down in terms of competition against mescal)

Dunno really as I've only done mescaline once, and it's impossible to get more.
Really enjoyed the trip itself.
I had difficulty sleeping afterwards, worse than with LSD.

only time, eh only the second time i enjoyed salvia was the night after i drank the tea... i hate salvia, but that time was sublime, 17x, I can't wait to drink the tea again... I have to agree with tUT about LSD, its great but more laughs than substance (dont get me wrong, i have had trips where LSD kicked my ass, but after doing mescaline, i just felt/knew that it has so much to offer in comparison)

^I have to say this- what would your reaction be if someone gave you completely synthetic mescaline? Would you know it was synthed?

I enjoy them both immensely, but recently over the past few months, I've taken acid maybe 3 times and tan whitish mescaline extracted from torch about 9 times allready--there is just something about the ecstatic euphoric feelings for body & mind I get from it--also I agree that it is even more relaxing than mushrooms as DM Turner has stated in the paper below. Mescaline also seems more creative & colorful than acid which can seem more analytical & sharp/detailed. They are both fantastic.

http://www.lavondyss.com/donut/guide/mescaline.html

For example, I can be away from home for 14 hours at my job, come home and take 200 grams of mescaline hcl at 7pm, yet still be able to go to sleep by 4am in the morning--even though I'm fatigued mentally & physically...the mescaline takes me to a state of blissfulness, stimulation & relaxation all combined together--at 200mg you don't hallucinate but you feel mdma type elation, genuine euphoria of a type if you will, I can watch movies, tv, listen to music all night long yet won't have any sense of the "metallic edge" that acid can sometimes cause...mescaline is just so relaxing & feels so good....LSD can also, but I don't think I would be able to drop acid at 7pm and feel as completely relaxed as a 200gram dose of mescaline after a long day. At 300mg and up, the hallucinations kick in slowly, music is a "whole soul experience" similar to listening to music on acid. Mescaline, for me, is a versatile substance just as LSD is--there is more "light" present with mescaline or acid than there is with psilocybin, mescaline & LSD are lucid and forgiving--the mind remains mostly coherent to all that is going on around you while trip.

I don't get any nausea from extracted brown mescaline that has been cleaned up to appear tan or whitish--two 100mg doses taken 1/2 hour apart cause zero nausea...the only thing is that twice I have gotten heartburn hours later after eating a whole chocolate bar or box of buttered popcorn with it...but I just take a peptid a/c or tagamet and the heartburn goes away within about 15 to 20 minutes.

The everclear extract of whole cactus gives me nausea 8 times out of 10, so I've abandoned that crude method since I don't like nausea at all, but it doesn't last long--maybe 1 to 2 hours...it can be avoided by drinking the everclear extract very slowly over several hours I've noticed in my own personal case. The cleaned up mescaline hcl powder is definately my favorite method of ingestion.

DM Turner on mescaline:
THE HIGH:
The mescaline experience is my favorite of the traditional psychedelics (LSD, psilocybin, mescaline). I find it has the advantages of acid: a lucid, penetrating, focused ability of the mind, rather than the more dreamy, drifting state I get from mushrooms. However, I feel totally relaxed with mescaline, even calmer than I feel on mushrooms, and there's no trace of the metallic edge usually felt on acid.

Eating whole cactus produces a more body-oriented high than pure mescaline. San Pedro usually produces a very smooth, flowing experience. However, the effects of Peyote are quite different due to its unique mixture of alkaloids. With Peyote, the first couple hours of the experience are very dream-like, drifting, almost a delirium type state. During this time I feel groggy and sleepy and can do little more than lay back and sink into the feeling, which is not unpleasant. Some element of Peyote also acts as an emetic, making most people nauseous about two hours into the trip.

I find the mescaline experience to be more visual than mushrooms or acid. However, I've only experienced really spectacular visuals when using synthetic mescaline. My high tolerance to most psychedelics, along with the capacity of my stomach, has prevented me from ever being as high as I would have liked when eating whole cactus. Like psilocybin, mescaline tends to link me with collective evolutionary consciousness more than synthetics like LSD. The experiences produced by these natural psychedelics seem more "significant" than an acid high, which is more analytical. An acid high often seems to be a by-product of magnifying the mind, whereas with mushrooms and cactus one feels they are in touch with something ancient, spiritual, and personal. Mescaline has a unique signature in this context which I find most magical, a feeling that the Gods or protective allies are smiling down on me. The duration can be 6 to 14 hours depending on the amount consumed. The "coming back" portion of a mescaline trip is smoother than with the other traditional psychedelics. And I've never felt the "drained of energy" or "neural overload" feeling that can come after an intense acid trip. This allows for a more conscious and therapeutic return to regular consciousness, after which I can easily sink into sleep and wake up feeling refreshed.

Some aspects of the mescaline high are quite distinct from LSD or mushrooms. The visions produced by mescaline have a different character and structure. When being overtaken by a full strength mescaline trip, I've felt more than with any traditional psychedelic that I was an extraterrestrial being, immersing myself in new sensory phenomena for the first time. Where LSD or psilocybin heighten and clarify the sense of hearing, mescaline produces auditory hallucinations, heightening the hearing sense but also causing sounds to be quite different than normal. Mescaline also sharpens the olfactory sense to a much finer degree than LSD or psilocybin. I've particularly noted this in my ability to perceive the smells of numerous different plants when using synthetic mescaline outdoors. As for aphrodisiacal use of mescaline, wow!, it brought energies out of me that I never knew I had.
DM Turner on LSD:
THE HIGH:
Ecstatic feelings of love and happiness, affinity for other people, feeling of being at home with one's self and the universe, flowing visions with more intricacy, beauty, and color than anything found in nature, sound which one can taste and feel with heart and soul, a sense of suspension in time and feeling akin with eternity and infinity, a brilliantly lucid mind able to see itself from vast and novel perspectives, an overwhelming tide of emotions... These are the feelings that are common with LSD and most other psychedelics. One should also be prepared for the negative side: confusion, frightful visions and images, fear of dying or losing control, feeling controlled by and unable to escape from the definitions one has grown accustomed to, or being overwhelmed by the immensity of life.

The possible experiences on psychedelics are endless, and no two are ever the same. In the definitions I give for "THE HIGH" of each substance, I will try to describe the attributes that are frequently felt and distinguish the experiences produced by the different psychedelics.

LSD is the most transparent of the psychedelics. It has the least "signature" to it. Most users report that their first few trips are like a ride through the funhouse. Everything seems bizarre and completely unlike normal reality. After becoming familiar with the experience some people drop acid to perform complex computer programming, perform live music on stage, or do other tasks that require control and a strong connection with the physical plane. Frequent users may be able to blink their eyes, snap out of the high, and see things as they do in regular consciousness while on the peak of a 500 mcg. trip.

LSD's transparency makes it possible to have almost any type of experience. Users may guide themselves toward a particular flavor of experience using either internal focus, like meditation, or external stimulus like music or art. LSD's intensity is also quite variable. A 200 mcg. trip may feel more intense than a 500 mcg. trip from the same batch, and intensity can fade in and out during a session. Generally one will feel "higher" if taking the same amount of LSD, or any other psychedelic, in an unfamiliar environment. One aspect of dosage that seems consistent is the length of the trip. 100 mcg. Iasts me 5 to 6 hours, 200 mcg. - 8 to 10 hours, large doses have lasted up to 20 hours.

LSD has the ability of allowing one's mind to penetrate things very deeply. I find this most prevalent listening to music, looking at artwork, or making love. With LSD one can "lock on" to something like a piece of music and allow it to guide them on a sensual journey through a garden of liquid sound. One can lavish a feeling, thought pattern, or emotion with similar intensity. It's also possible to latch on to negative feelings. If one finds themself on a downward spiral they can usually redirect their awareness to something else with little effort. Most people tend to spend the majority of their experience in a positive groove, because once in it they can remain there effortlessly for hours. The negative aspects of LSD's signature that many users report are a " metallic edge " (a slight grating on the nerves), and sometimes an overbearing intensity that some psychedelics, such as mushrooms, tend not to produce.
DM Turner on psilocybin:
THE HIGH:
Mushrooms produce an experience similar to LSD but with a different signature. The mushroom high tends to be dreamy and drifty in comparison to the penetrating brilliance and lucidity of acid. Users report feeling more relaxed on shrooms, sometimes even drowsy, rather than the speedy, edgy feeling common with acid. The average shroom trip lasts five to seven hours, with the most intense and visually hallucinogenic part of the experience taking place during the first two hours.

The content of a mushroom trip is also a bit different than acid, and as with all psychedelics, each trip is a unique experience. Frequently users claim that shrooms put them more in touch with the "mystery," feeling acid to be cold and linear in comparison. With mushrooms I've often felt that I'm in the presence of an ancient teacher, whereas with LSD, it can feel like I'm simply traversing my own mental pathways.

Mushroom visuals can be magnificent on large doses, especially in a pitch black environment. Many people find the mushroom visuals to be more "organic" than acid visuals. The mushroom visuals tend towards rounded forms, and images congruent with nature, while acid visuals are usually more angular, with kaleidoscopic or abstract imagery.

A large dose experience with mushrooms can feel quite similar to N,N-DMT, (dimethyltryptamine) but with much less intensity. The visuals tend to have the same character as DMT visuals, and I find that I easily go into trance, which is frequent with N,N-DMT. The similarity in experiences is not unexpected since mushrooms actually contain long-lasting tryptamines. The chemical formula of psilocin, the active component of the mushroom, is 4-OH-DMT. See the chapter on DMT for more information on this fascinating substance.

I also find some negative qualities in comparing the experience of mushrooms to acid. The mushroom experience moves a bit slower than an acid high and tends to be less intense. I find it more difficult to break through to a full-on psychedelic state with mushrooms. And the trip can not be guided as easily as an acid trip.

I've used LSD more often than mushrooms because it's suitable to more diverse environments, and almost always produces the expected results. I've felt mushrooms to be more "sacred," and have reserved them for occasions when a more significant, mystical experience is desired.

Last edited:
Yes, tolerance "is a bitch" as they say. I'm gonna take a month off then only take it once a week or once every two weeks to keep my tolerance factor down.

I don't see how you can compare the two. There's a totally different involvement with both drugs, both unveiling the nature of the "unconscious," but both capable of being overly satisfying and productive states.

I've been blessed with short trials of synthetic and cactus, and they have offered me some of the most profound experiences I've had. Not to mention it seemed to fix my "ADD," and I was at one with space and time, and all that other bullshit I was talking about for 6 hours straight.

LSD on the other hand lets my head drift away, not wanting to be involved with nature as much as mescaline, but lets me fuck myself on the insides:), and I've had so many times with it, all my "profound" experiences with it are mashed together in a cosmic goo. Plus, the complexity of the visuals increase each use. from squares to grafiti, I love connecting dots.

tregar said:
Yes, tolerance "is a bitch" as they say. I'm gonna take a month off then only take it once a week or once every two weeks to keep my tolerance factor down.

At the start of the year i indulged in mescaline twice a week for two months, after that my experiences where just a shadow of those first five or six times and i knew i over did it and ceased it.

I waited two months and done another dose and again its was nothing like those first few times.

A little fustrated i waited two more months and threw in some rue for kick and WHAMOO i got the magic back and a bit more, that rue really helped!

But i am a little ashamed i went to town and done it at least 16 times in two months, because its one of the most beautiful experiences a human can have and i turned it into nothing but a speedy high.:(

Mescaline turns you into a child, you feel so playful and notice beauty in the most mundane everyday things.

Also my brain doesnt feel raped the next few days like LSD, and yeah the euphoria is second only to MDMA.

tregar said:

I think he was being smart- your post said you took 200 grams of mescaline =D Good trip? j/k :)