• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Miscellaneous Mescaline vs. LSD

Which do you like better: mescaline or LSD?

• mescaline

Votes: 95 31.7%
  • LSD

Votes: 121 40.3%
  • no preference

Votes: 84 28.0%

• Total voters
Hands down, no questions asked, mescaline is the most rewarding psychedelic I have tried. I have eaten a lot of acid (and just about every ethnobotanical and rc around) and have the most amazing of my trips on mesc. Lsd is far more of a "fun drug" than mescaline, which is far more introspective and insightful. I hope to get to try it with a good dose of smoked 5-meo-dmt during the peak. The 2 most amazing chemicals in existance (and the 2 that give me the most mystical type experiences) together.

Yes, egor has nailed it in one word..."rewarding"as did hellraiser666. Great thread everyone. Appreciate the responses. I took 200mg again the other night, stayed up from 7pm to 2:30am, it is just amazing stuff...introspective, beautiful, music sounds really good, brighter colors, better spacial perception & visual acuity, everything is more interesting & fun, it's like a portion of my mind can observe in silence with an awesome meditative contentment & euphoric state for hours and hours. I wish it would never go away! But we all have to sleep afterall. I ran out so I will have to wait about a month before I can extract/endulge again.

Get yourself the best set of headphones you can afford or a nice set of great-sounding tower loudspeakers...you will be in heaven listening to music.

Last edited:
Good acid is 100 times more powerful than mescaline will ever be. Mescaline is relaxing, almost boring actually. It has no edge. I don't even think it's possible to have a bummer on mescaline. I'd imagine if you looked at the receptor activity of the two you'd see mescaline is half asleep when it comes to receptor activity. LSD is WAY more visual , mental, all around psychedelic. It's also more dangerous , deep fries my brain and likely takes longer to recover from. Abstract thought is impossible for me for about two days. I won't take acid any more.

I wish i could find some peyote mescaline :( I'm gonna have to ask my mexican friends if they know where to find any lol

I picked LSD. I took a high dose of really good shit and fell in love with LSD years ago. It's just my favorite.
However I very recently experienced mescaline (aka san pedro alkaloids). I think mescaline could quite possibly win me over, if I could find a way to consume a high enough dose without throwing up. I can't do an A/B and it's HARD to drink enough syrup/tea. Actually it's really hard to hold it down once it starts coming on strong, and the tea doesn't taste much better on the way out either.
I'm looking for the real idiots guide to consuming san pedro.

I think many people think they've taken mescaline, but haven't really. For years I believed the dealer (and the hallucinations) that the e-pill was cut with mescaline. Years before that my friend told me "25% of gel tabs are mescaline thats why they're so strong."<--- nope just really good high dose of LSD. And the whole micro dot mescaline urban legend. And with all these RC's around the only way your going to get mescaline is if you do it yourself or are friends with someone who does it. Some sorta cacti concoction.
I've got 2 beautiful 18 inch san pedro's sittin right next to me :)
so it's all good. One of the cuttings looks very old (mature) and has a small fuzz-ball budding flower.(i'll try to post a pic if it blossoms)
:) I'm gonna grow these babies up until they're ready and i'm ready. :)

Thinking of trying it with ecstasy.... 8o %) 8(

Interesting that mescaline wins this thread, but LSD wins the favorite psychedelic thread, of which mescaline is also an option.

Are these polls worth a damn? Or does this show that there are a minority of people out there who dislike LSD but prefer some other unlisted psychedelic to mescaline?

It really just shows that most people have only tried LSD, or maybe LSD and mushrooms. This thread has undoubtedly attracted attention to only mescaline and LSD, so more people who have tried both are responding. Many people who voted for LSD in the other poll probably hadn't had mescaline before (or any of the others).

But yeah, these polls should be taken with several grains of salt. I find the posts much more revealing than the pure poll results.

I've been without mescaline for 3 weeks, and I miss it badly. Dream extraction on the way again.

Xorkoth said:
It really just shows that most people have only tried LSD, or maybe LSD and mushrooms. This thread has undoubtedly attracted attention to only mescaline and LSD, so more people who have tried both are responding. Many people who voted for LSD in the other poll probably hadn't had mescaline before (or any of the others).

But yeah, these polls should be taken with several grains of salt. I find the posts much more revealing than the pure poll results.
I agree.

I found this comparison from Xorkoth many months ago, and I feel it does a pretty good job of explaining the differences (from the mindandmuscle forum):
The differences between LSD and mescaline would really only be indistinguishable by users who had only used one psychedelic, very few times, or who had not ever used any psychedelics. I think I know the study to which you are referring, and that study used people who had had very little to no previous psychedelic experience. Once you get some experience in several compounds, you realize how vastly different LSD and mescaline are, and indeed, how different almost every psychedelic chemical is compared to almost every other. There are literally hundreds of them, and each is unique in its own way. But mescaline is extremely, fundamentally different from LSD in every possible way I can think of.

For one, mescaline does not tend towards ego loss. Rather, it tends toward ego amplification and clarification. This is probably the biggest difference but it makes the two very different chemicals. Also, mescaline is very, very calm compared to LSD. LSD is a tryptamine, and like most tryptamines, makes the thoughts race, and contains a significant "mind fuck" aspect that can result in a very difficult but also very mind-blowing journey. Mescaline is a phenethylamine, and although not all phenethylamines are like mescaline at all, mescaline itself is characterized by a very calm and meditating mind state, with actually not a whole lot of racing thought going on at all. The mescaline state of mind is vastly easier to navigate with calm and uniform emotion, whereas the LSD mindstate (and mushroom) consists of rapidly fluctuating emotions. If one were to graph the effects, it would be a series of sharp ups and downs, whereas the mescaline graph would be more of a smooth, gradual sine wave, never getting as high as LSD might, but also never getting as low.

Also, the physical effects are drastically different, although at low doses to inexperienced users, I guess I could see how they would be indistinguishable. LSD consists of an "electric" body buzz, whereas mescaline is much more earthy and warm and pleasurable (in general), as is typical of phenethylamines in comparison to tryptamines.

Finally, the visual effects of the two chemicals are very, very different. LSD seems to dramatically alter visual perception so as to view objects in seemingly more dimensions than our usual three. Colors abound, and rapid breathing and morphing of objects is common. Also, fractals are common to see at higher doses. The visuals from LSD are sharp and crisp, and well-defined, and detailed to an astonishing extent. On the other hand, mescaline's visuals are generally much more subtle. There is a slowly breathing of objects, and a faint crawling of small things like print, but the biggest difference is that mescaline visuals are almost cartoon-like, in that they make everything stand out in enhanced color and vividness, but they don't even come close to the sharp, detailed visual enhancement of LSD and some others. Mescaline's greatest visual characteristic is often described as showing you the world around through a lens of enhanced singificance, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I hope this was illuminating to you on the differences between LSD and mescaline. I think that study is extremely misleading in many ways, because as an experienced user, I find the effects of LSD, mushrooms, and mescaline to be vastly different, and I guarantee I could differentiate between them at a sufficient dose for a full trip with absolutely no problems. it also helps that I've used somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 research chemical psychedelics as well, which haver really helped me to understand the psychedelic state and the differences between various drugs extremely well.

If you ever have any other questions about psychedelic, or any chemical in particular, PM me or get ahold of me in some other way. or go to Erowid and find my reports by the Erowid Author name of "Lightwarden". or go to Bluelight and read my various posts as Xorkoth.

Also please keep in mind that my statements are generalizations, and every user will experience these drugs somewhat differently. But this should give a good general idea.
FYI:

1) Junger was a big fan of mescaline.

2) We all know Dr. Hofmann was a big fan of LSD (I've never read or heard of him taking Mescaline, but he had taken shrooms & pure Psilocybin a few times).

3) We all know Gordon Wasson was a big fan of shrooms, however Wasson never took LSD or mescaline.

4) Aldous Huxley was a big fan of mescaline & LSD, also Alexander Shulgin was so inspired with his mescaline trips that he went on to study and produce hundreds of mind-altering drugs.

Robert Forte interview with Gordon Wasson in October 1985 from page 78 of "Entheogens & the future of Religion":
Robert Forte: "Have you ever tried LSD ?"

Gordon Wasson: "No."
Quote from Junger on page 173 of "LSD, my problem child" by Albert Hofmann, Ph.D:
These were the earthy mushrooms (after Hofmann, Junger & 2 friends had a dark trip on mushrooms that run awry even though set & setting was optimal). More light was hidden in the dark grain that burst from the ear, more yet in the green juice of the succulents on the glowing slopes of Mexico...[Translator's note: Junger is referring to LSD, a derivative of Ergot , and Mescaline , derived from the Mexican peyotyl cactus.]
Albert Hofmann (page 174):
The mushroom substance had carried all four of us off, not into luminous heights, rather into deeper regions. It seems that the Psilocybin inebriation is more darkly colored in the majority of cases than the inebriation produced by LSD. The influence of these two active substances is sure to differ from one individual to another. Personally, for me, there was more light in the LSD experiments that in the experiements with the earthy mushroom, just as Ernst Junger remarks in the preceding report.
The experiment with Psilocybin by Dr. Hofmann & his 3 friends can be read about on page 168 of "LSD, my problem child".

There is also no need to rely on an elite few & their contacts to supply LSD when and where they see fit...mescaline is available to anyone with the initiative & smarts to extract it on their own.

Last edited:
I've never gone beyond myself on mescaline (5 experiences from 400-650mg) but have definitely gone to outer space on LSD. In a retrospective view, I like what LSD does for me better than what mescaline does for me... but I'll of course love and keep both. :D

wow generaly with the 'XXX Vs LSD' threads LSD comes out top trumps.

Since I havn't tried (or payed any attention to) mescaline I think I will have to after reading this.

I chose LSD, because it's much easier to use.

I've tried mesc extractions a couple times. It's been enjoyable every time, but there's a price to be paid in nausea and it's difficult to get a proper dose. If I could get pure mescaline, my opinion might change. I've never managed to turn a lump of extracted peruvianus resin into anything nearly as intense as 5 hits of good 'cid.

Also, acid trips (possibly due to higher doses I've been able to try) seem 'deeper' to me than mesc trips. Mesc is enjoyable, calming and even profound, but no experience on earth compares in intensity or subjective significance to a high-dose acid trip.

i've never tried mescaline so i'm not voting but i am pretty sure i'd prefer lsd even if mescaline was way better simply because of the amount of nausea i've heard mescaline can cause.

im loving this thread

*holds up a sign* GO MESCALINE

mesc has provided with hands down the most utterly spritual trip of my life. Its almost as if other psychs hit you right in the brain but mescaline goes straight for the soul.

Adrenochrome said:
i like the natural stuff: mescaline

I think in certain ways all natural psychedelics are just as much synthetic as they are natural, by the time they're in your hands, especially.

ive never tried mescaline or peyote, which sucks. We cant find it anywhere around here, and even when i went to amsterdam, i was almost too scared to give it a try in unfarmiliar terrirory. I went into the smartshop at LaCanna, and bam - there they were, just a nice row of growing cacti, ready to be purchased, split, and de-buttoned, all for me, and i fuckin didnt do it. From what i hear Mescaline is a transcendant experience, even moreso than LSD is, and i really would like to try it one day with my girl.

So, since ive never done mesc, i would have to say that L is still the fuckin bomb. Especially right now. Back in the day i used to eat L all the damn time, couple hits here, a ten strip there, n i would fry all fuckin night long - it was awesome. But then i ate somethin like 15 drops of some pretty good amber back in 2001 or somethin, n i think i just tripped too hard, and it put me off LsD all together. But recently, a hookup crossed my path, and brought with it some liquid. I figured, what the hell, its been forever since i tripped, why not? so i took a fatty drip, n went on my way. Bout a half hour later, that shit hit me like a ton of bricks. It was the single most intense trip i have ever had in my life. U know how you "kinda" have visuals when u trip - other than trails, like for instance, if your outdoors and fryin balls, you look at the grass, and it looks like an endless wavy sea of kind nuggets, and theyre just wavin back n forth n u catch yourself starin at that shit for hours? yeah, with the shit that i did recently, you get HARDCORE visuals. not like fuckin seeing cartoon doritos chasing after you to get revenge because you ate all of their cousins or nothin stupid like that, but everything was wayy more vivid than a regular lsd trip by far. it was clean as shit, next to no neck n back tension at all, and minimal shitty feeling the morning after. It was the most pleasant experience with a psychadellic drug that i have ever had in my life, and from what i understand, what i tried was some newly made lsd from a brand new old chemist thats been around since the conception of the dead. I said this in another post, but for your benefit - have you ever heard one of the older fuckers that you know say something to the effect of "that bullshit acid you guys are eating nowadays aint shit compared to what we had back in the 60's"? well, i can honestly say that im pretty sure i know what they mean now. I dont know the science of it, like how many micrograms are in each drip, or what the chemical makeup is, but i know its different, and its the fuckin bomb. Take it from someone that has eaten wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more acid in his life than one human being should ever eat. I know what im talkin bout guys..=D

Mescaline is a deep, aesthetic, spiritual experience for me.

LSD is life-affirming, intensely FUN, and 'psychoanalytic.'

I'll give LSD the nod because its lessons are more practical in my life. However, nothing comes close to the aesthetic, physical beauty of a good mescaline trip. I think comparing the two is kind of useless (but fun to do nonetheless)

LSD definately wins in my book. I've only tried mescaline once in the form of 7grams of pulverized peyote buttons though. The trip felt like a weak 2c-e experience with waay more nausea due to the eating of plant material. + I feel asleep 6 hours after ingesting it. Mescaline might be more beneficial too to use in it's traditional religious contexts, but I'm all about creating my own culture with psychedelics and that's why I like the new synthetic ones.