• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Miscellaneous Mescaline vs. LSD

Which do you like better: mescaline or LSD?

• mescaline

Votes: 95 31.7%
  • LSD

Votes: 121 40.3%
  • no preference

Votes: 84 28.0%

• Total voters
Hey, where could I find info about the other alkaloids in san pedro and peyote?

Hey, where could I find info about the other alkaloids in san pedro and peyote?

erowids got some info on them i think. also there are plenty of books on the subject.. wasnt shulgin writing one or was just dealing with all cacti alkaloids not just pedro and peyote???

anyway this is an interesting topic i made a while back about specific peyote alkaloids

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=377624

^hey thanks. I read through that tread, but I didn't really find any information on any other specific alkaloids.

Well 4-methoxyPEA has the potential to be active if the MAO in the body is otherwise occupied (like dealing with other substrates - & cacti have a fair few compounds metabolized by MAO) & peyote contains 3-methoxy-4,5-methylenedioxyPEA (lophophine) which is said to be active at 200-300mg - obviously not a full dose in the cacti - & a bit like a halfway house between mescaline & MMDA (it's the biosynth source for the methylenedioxyisoquinoline alkaloids).

To get more milage from the cacti, you could always inject them with L-DOPA (or L-tyrosine if really pushed) a few weeks before harvesting to increase the alkaloid content as they are direct metabolic precursors

Huxely didn't seem to get nausea in Doors?

Perhaps he just didn't mention it, ya know, just as a matter of subtlety or artistic license. I have a hard time imagining you could munch down 400mg of mescaline and not even get a little nauseous. Or perhaps he simply displayed an idiosyncratic reaction.

Perhaps he just didn't mention it, ya know, just as a matter of subtlety or artistic license. I have a hard time imagining you could munch down 400mg of mescaline and not even get a little nauseous. Or perhaps he simply displayed an idiosyncratic reaction.

I dont think its to uncommon for some not to have nausea with mesc. Ive never really gotten stomach problems at all from it, its just the taste of the damn cacti that kills me. mushshrooms actually give me more nausea then mesc

Thanks F&B.

That's really interesting about the l-dopa. I've heard people do similar things with tryptamines and fungus, but that's more about hydroxylation of the 4 position on novel compounds. Though, something similar probably could be done to boost psilocybin/psilocin production.

I dont think its to uncommon for some not to have nausea with mesc. Ive never really gotten stomach problems at all from it, its just the taste of the damn cacti that kills me. mushshrooms actually give me more nausea then mesc

Mescaline on its own is much less likely to cause nausea than the mixture of alkaloids found in cacti. Of these, peyote seem to be the worst candidate - probably due to the tetrahydrosoquinoline alkaloids (a lot of similar THIQs have dopaminergic activity and may account/contribute to the nausea). Personally, pure (synthetic) mescaline never caused me any GI problems at all & that was 420mg of mescaline hydrochloride. Cactus extract is a different matter altogether...

Unfortunately I've not tried mescaline yet so I cant vote :( LSD, however, is one of my favorite compounds.
I look forward to trying mescaline very much. Phenethylamines are pretty boring for me but mescaline seems entirely worthwhile. I'm in no hurry though, I know we will cross paths eventually :D

Last edited:
They each have their own purposes. Mescaline is the more gentle of the two. It doesn't catapult me towards ego loss and instead let's me remain within myself (with a content feeling of euphoria) and think things through at a slower pace suitable to figuring out personal problems. It's just so mellow. I did not find any nausea worth complaining about whenever I dosed mescaline HCl. The visuals are comparatively simple such as cloud watching taking on whatever form is on my mind. One trip I went out for a walk with the dog and saw clouds of dogs jumping for frisbees and elephant clouds colored pink by the sunset. Real laid back, but with the "observing as a whole" aspect of psychedelics that is so insightful.

I'm less experienced with LSD, but to go with the cloud observation I would see the boundary whisps spiraling into fractals rather than using my imagination to see forms. Like mushrooms, thoughts can race quickly. I would choose mescaline if I was looking for a psychedelic experience geared towards personal development, analysis of my life situation, and appreciation of the outdoors where I don't feel like losing my head. LSD would be my choice for creativity, fun, and profound spiritual experiences (read: high dosing).

LSD (1 weak hit) + 25g cactus was an amazing trip. One of my top 3.

mescaline and DOM are not alike ,
but i have to agree of all the phens DOM or MDA are the two that come the closest.
Even Escaline is more a stimulant- then a hallucinogenic experience.
but these are (as always) subjective personal experiences.

for mescaline or LSD , i would first ask :
what's the set and setting ?

is it a spiritual ritual with a shaman i would opt for the LSD.
because i think it doesn't matter which hallucinogen you take for a spiritual/learning experience.....
i'm still convinced that you can take LSD at an ayahuasca ritual and have a true valid experience and vice versa : i'm willing to take an ayahuasca brew at a rock-festival and enjoy the surroundings.

but for a good fun warm emotional day in the woods i would go for Mescaline ,
it's a little bit more benign and usually easier to control than LSD.

done synthetic , peyote and san pedro. a couple of times each.
all 3 have potential of nausea in them ,
but the mistake most people make is that they will eat the whole portion in 1 go,
when mescaline intake can easy be spread over the course of 1/2 an hour , so eat it in many tiny bits , it's easier on the stomach and thus will also induce much less nausea.

as always , subjective.

your ex.

^ Mescaline & DOM are as far removed from each other as say psilocybin & LSD. Both (mesc & DOM) come on pretty slowly compared with LSD/psilocybin, but where mescaline is pretty easy going and not too difficult to step back from, DOM is a leviathan of a psychedelic which will steamroller you into the ground if you try to stand in it's way and control it (in that way DOM is more like LSD than mescaline).

And yes, consuming mescaline over a 30-60 minute period is a better way to go if you want to avoid nausea. Of course if you're using boiled cactus extract you have no choice but to consume it slowly as it's texture & taste simply make downing it in one a non starter

Does taking it over a longer period work with cactus extract too?

Would taking 100mg every 15-20min until i reach 400mg make the experience less nauseating than taking all 400mg at once. And generally how long does mescaline take to peak? 2-3 hours?

Does taking it over a longer period work with cactus extract too?

Would taking 100mg every 15-20min until i reach 400mg make the experience less nauseating than taking all 400mg at once. And generally how long does mescaline take to peak? 2-3 hours?

just take it all over the course of 20-30 minutes its really not as nauseating as most make it out to be and ive seen people consume a regular dose over the course of an hour wish they had takin it all at once because of how slow it comes on