• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Miscellaneous Mescaline vs. LSD

Which do you like better: mescaline or LSD?

• mescaline

Votes: 95 31.7%
  • LSD

Votes: 121 40.3%
  • no preference

Votes: 84 28.0%

• Total voters
K1Ng5p4d3 said:
ive never tried mescaline or peyote, which sucks. We cant find it anywhere around here, and even when i went to amsterdam, i was almost too scared to give it a try in unfarmiliar terrirory. I went into the smartshop at LaCanna, and bam - there they were, just a nice row of growing cacti, ready to be purchased, split, and de-buttoned, all for me, and i fuckin didnt do it.

Are you talking peyote? The ones they sell in the smartshops are only a couple of years old and don't contain any mescaline. You have to buy them and then wait 10 years.

cognosis said:
LSD definately wins in my book. I've only tried mescaline once in the form of 7grams of pulverized peyote buttons though. The trip felt like a weak 2c-e experience with waay more nausea due to the eating of plant material. + I feel asleep 6 hours after ingesting it.

If you had 7 grams the only thing you felt was placebo. 7grams wouldn't get you anywhere near threshold effects.

Ismene said:
If you had 7 grams the only thing you felt was placebo. 7grams wouldn't get you anywhere near threshold effects.
It was dried if that make a difference, if not then that's probs why I wasn't impressed and now I want my money back!

Ismene said:
Are you talking peyote? The ones they sell in the smartshops are only a couple of years old and don't contain any mescaline. You have to buy them and then wait 10 years.

Not true. Although it's true that they get more potent with age, peyote contains mescaline at all ages.

As far as on-topic discussion goes, I don't think I could really pick a favorite. They're such different drugs, and they have totally different purposes. You have to pick the right drug for the situation. I deeply love them both. <3

butane said:
Not true. Although it's true that they get more potent with age, peyote contains mescaline at all ages.

I'm sure they contain trace amounts just nowhere near enough to trip off.

Personally, I'd say that both are just as rewarding and each has it's own time and place in my life. LSD is more of an analytical and "fun" psychedelic while mescaline is a more spiritual and deep psychedelic. Both can be very powerful and I'm not saying that LSD can't be spiritual or deep (I've found plenty of depth to LSD) or that mescaline can't be fun..but I feel that each has it's own unique feeling, which makes them very hard to compare.

Mescal all the way...people who say it can't be strong as haven't tried Peyote.

The only downside is the nausea...

I think I'll prefer LSD as mescaline tends to give people nausea from what I've read and heard from others. I'm in no rush to try it yet as the stuff doesn't seem to lose potency over time but I'll get around to it sometime and let you know my preference. But even then I'll still be more experienced with LSD. As for the mesc' cacti I once ate, I wasn't really impressed because you need to eat so much of it and could really get enough down and slight nausea was there through the whole trip which was kinda annoying.

I'll tell you when I see a friend of mine who's giving me the opportunity to try the former for the first time. I've been waiting for YEARS =D

Er I think it needs to be pointed out that pure mescaline (it was mescaline hydrochloride that I tried) is actually noticably different to the mixture of alkaloids isolated from cacti in that the cactus extract has what I can only describe as more depth & richness to it - even then, peyote if different to san pedro (even san pedro has slighty different feel to peruvian torch extract) in that peyote produces a noticable flushing of the skin & more nausea in the initial stages - probably due to the isoquinoline alkaloids which are absent in the Trichocereus species. Overall I think I'd say that I prefer Trichocereus alkaloid extract over peyote, pure mescaline coming last in the list. I don't know where I'd place LSD in the above rating of the different mescaline containing extracts (& pure compound) as it is fairly substantially different withinn the whole range of psychedelic experience; LSD has more of an effect on cognative processing, but can be relentless in the way it forces the psychedelic state in your face. This is in comparison to all of the above mescaline variations which are much more gentle & less intense, but have an aesthetic enhancement quality that is almost non-existant in LSD by comparison.

I've had a ++++ experience from both, although with LSD it also involved a dose of ketamine to push it to that special state, whereas it was purely due to san pedro extract for the mescaline. Difficult to say which one I prefer as a comparison would be like comparing a savory food with a sweet one eg do I like enchiladas or blueberry cheesecake best (I really like both but just too different for a valid comparison as each is best for a certain mindset)!

Combining LSD with mescaline is often refered to as "the shampagne of psychedelics". In dreams I've combined as little as 50ug of acid with 200mg of mescaline hcl, and effects really are profound, music becomes a thing of beauty. It's a nice way to stretch your acid supply a little further. As fastandbulbous said concerning mescaline variations "has an an aesthetic enhancement quality that is almost non-existant in LSD by comparison." Agreed. As I've discovered, gassing of the mescaline freebase solution is a great way to capture all of the various alkaloids from the cactus, it leaves nothing behind. The additional alkaloids are a nice addition and do add to the experience imho. This is the only method I know of (gassing) besides downing the syrup that works to capture the full alkaloid spectrum effects.

From Christian Ratsch (Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Plants):
I have carried out experiments with varying dosages of Trichocereus pachanoi powder. With 1 g, I did not experience any effects. Two to 4 g produced a mild stimulation that persisted for approximately six to eight hours. This amount functions as a true tonic and restorative. I have also experimented with this dosage in the high mountains, where I noticed a distinct improvement in performance. If a person eats something during the time in which the effects are felt, the effects will increase as digestion begins.

With amounts of 5 to 6 g, empathogenic sensations appear alongside of the tonic qualities. Ten grams of the powder are unequivocally psychedelic, although few hallucinations occur. The psychedelic effects manifest more in the emotional domain. Very profound psychedelic effects an be achieved by taking some 50 ug of LSD with 10 g of San Pedro powder (cf. Ergot alkaloids).
mesc and acid are the cadillac of psychedelic experiences...

very nice, strong and can be quite powerful.
From page 26 of "Trout's Notes on San Pedro & related Trichocereus species" by Keeper of the Trout & friends:
The experience is a beautiful and fairly controllable one and lacking the overwhelming distortions and ego-death potentially encountered with a strong dose of LSD. I personally do not know anyone who has had a bad time with true Mescaline unless it was mixed with large amounts of alcohol.
Diaz, Jaime. How Drugs Influence Behavior. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice Hall, 1996:
Hallucinations produced by mescaline are somewhat different from those of LSD. Hallucinations are consistent with actual experience, but are typically intensifications of the stimulus properties of objects and sounds. Prominence of color is distinctive, appearing brilliant and intense. Unlike LSD, mescaline does not induce distortions of form or kaleidoscopic experiences. However, like LSD, synesthesia can occur.
Murple:
The effects of LSD and mescaline are often described as being nearly the same in many older books and articles. While there are many points of similarity, these are two very different drugs from two very different chemical families. It is very hard to try to explain the differences to somebody who has not tried both, and this difficulty is made even worse because no two people will be affected by both drugs in the same way.

Many people feel that mescaline leaves you with a more lucid and coherent state of mind, where LSD can often create a very confused and disoriented state of mind. This does not at all mean that LSD is a more intense experience though. Some people find that mescaline produces stronger and much more organized visual effects, especially with the eyes closed. While LSD visions are often mosaics of rapidly morphing bizzarre scenes, mescaline visions tend to be more organized, less changing, and more familiar - the difference might be compared to watching a surreal music video compared to watching a movie. LSD tends to be much more of a stimulant, whereas on mescaline many people are more likely to lie down with your eyes closed. Some find mescaline produces a strong euphoria which is compared to that from MDMA. Some find LSD is more likely to cause anxious feelings.

Some people say LSD is much "deeper" while others will say that mescaline is the more profound drug - and others will say they're both equally deep. All of this is highly subjective, and varies greatly from person to person. LSD and mescaline are very different drugs, but with many things in common. Each has its own unique profile of effects, but what these are will be different for every person.

Last edited:
^lol, are you saying that lsd and mescaline are the same thing?? or are you saying that towards another post?

The effects of LSD and mescaline are often described as being nearly the same in many older books and articles

I think is largely down to how the experiments were carried out. Some doctor would give somebody lsd or mescaline and then a questionaire asking "Did you see colours?" and if they ticked yes to both that meant lsd was like mescaline. I don't think they're alike to anyone familiar with them.

I can't wait to try Mescaline - It seems like an "outside" psychedellic, almost to the point it would be most enjoyable in an open area under a starry sky... I wouldn't know, however.

On the other hand, I have some of the most memorable moments of my life during LSD experiences, and I will always hold those memories closely to my heart.

branflakes said:
I would love to try mescaline.

WORD branflakes. I've never tried it either. I have never even seen any. I don't like to throw up though, so I don't know if I ever will take that leap.