• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

generic vs brand name vicodin

chief ten beers

Bluelighter
I just got a script for vics and seeing as there is such a difference in price when it comes to generic vs name brand I need to know if the name brand price difference is really justified in terms of strength and effectiveness?I guess what i'm asking is will i be disappointed if i go with generic or are the basically very comparable.thanks

^They are not original manufuter pills but contain same dosage are as same strong like GenericMind said. Generics are much cheeper so I should be happy about getting pay'ed less than brand.

IME brand name isn't worth it when it comes to hydro/apap and oxy/apap.

phrozen said:
IME brand name isn't worth it when it comes to hydro/apap and oxy/apap.

Agreed. My personal favorites or the WAtson Pharmaceuticals 10mgs/325....The big yellow ones

All I know is watson is as good as generic brand. Mallinckrodt is another really common generic maker, and I swear no matter how many I take of that brand I feel nothing. Sooo I dunno. IMO there can be a difference.

i once had zoloft andd generic sertraline and the only difference was that one had a smooth finished coating on the pill and the generic didnt, it melted in your mouth and was chalky.

I don't notice a difference between generics and name brands. Especially for hydrocodone, the only advantage of specific brands is that there are certain ones that contain less acetaminophen than the others do.
I'd just go for the generics, save some money and get the same amount of stuff.
However I have friends that swear that the name brand ones work better, they say they break down easier because of the shape and binders/fillers. But I think thats mostly personal opinion, based on experience not fact.

I like the watson's and mallinkrodt's (SP?) better then the name brand. How much are the name brand ones without insurance?

Zubi420 said:
i once had zoloft andd generic sertraline and the only difference was that one had a smooth finished coating on the pill and the generic didnt, it melted in your mouth and was chalky.

Whether its generic or not does matter with certain things; Oxycontin, Duragesic, and Dilaudid comes to mind right now.

But, for the apap formulations and for benzodiazepines, I've never noticed a difference.

the only difference is: do you wanna pay $5 or $30 for copay? (get generics)

^^ Phrozen, i agree with that: with some meds generic vs brand name makes a difference. For example (i dont do anymore for years now, i have had some profound experiences with dissociatives but i stick to acid, mda and 2c-x and certain psilocin analogs for psychedelic experiences) my friend really likes dxm even with access to X and L (some people just LOVE dxm) and usually drinks robo brand name... but one time he tried the pathmark generic brand, of course at tripping doses, and was FRIED FOR A WEEK, he now cant look at a bottle of Pathatussin lol. However for OC's i notice no difference between the purdue Oxycontin 80s and the watson ABG 80s... ive compared the two many times becuz for some reason when i buy oc's from my connect i get a mix of brand name and abg's. However the teva's gel up and must be crushed up COMPLETELY into a fine powder (still, when its completely crushed it seems the same).

Theres also definitely a difference with *some* benzos... with alprazolam it doesnt seem to matter, but with clonazepam klonopin and rovitril (rovitril being better than klonopin imo) feel more efficient than the teva brand names, and qualitest seems to be the same as teva but with vicodin there never seems to be any difference.

Also, isnt the doc supposed to decide? ("write "daw" in the box <dispense as written is my guess on that acronym)

Last edited:
PARooolller said:
Agreed. My personal favorites or the WAtson Pharmaceuticals 10mgs/325....The big yellow ones

I thought the 10 mg Watson pills were purple/blue. At least, they were about 5 years ago. I thought the yellow ones were 7.5 mg Norcos.

malfunkshun said:
I thought the 10 mg Watson pills were purple/blue. At least, they were about 5 years ago. I thought the yellow ones were 7.5 mg Norcos.

Do a search on pill ID

I have had both the generics and brand name many times and I dont notice a difference in them at all.

my doctor actually scripted me darvocet, but he was like i gave you generic vicodin. i was just like umm ok. its not really though right? you wouldnt consider darvocets to be generic vicodin. like am i crazy?!

the only difference seems to be how much apap they put in their pills

malfunkshun said:

The 10/325 percs from watson are yellow.

EDIT: Actually I'm wrong. I can't think of what brand they are.