• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

The "new" pseudoephedrine (Phenylephrine)

kidamnesiac said:
yea, but seriously, isn't working with bright-ass-yellow needles so much more fun than a white powder and purple reducing agent?

Yeah. Wear your gloves. A few exposures, you become sensitized and most of the "popular flavors" of those bright ass yellow needles cause severe contact dermatitus.

>>Oh I know that, it's been well demonstrated with amphetamine (that's why they make Adderall) but I don't understand why l-amph or l-meth alone is inactive.>>

The difference, I heard, is that the l-isomers will occupy the same enzymes as the d-isomers, "smoothing" the inevitable decrease in plasma-levels of the drug. Does this make sense though, when the enzyme is not saturated?

That, and the l-isomers are peripherally active, and the mind experiences and the brain reacts to peripheral stimulation.

However, if d-amp is to adderall or benzedrine as d-methamp is to d,l-methamp, then I don't see the attraction. I don't need MORE jitters in my stims, thank you. :)

ebola

Oh...and a quick "fuck you" to phenylephrine.
I certainly always wanted a seemingly inert tablet and the continued ability for my nose to plug up and run. :)

ebola

vecktor said:
Apologies for being slow earlier now I get it:

under the poos reaction conditions CN-Br should still react to form the isomeric oxazolidine the double bond shifted to the exocyclic nitrogen. a 5 phenyl oxazolidin-2-ylamine.
I am pretty sure that as it is isosteric these woud be active.

If I follow you, with the double bond on the exocyclic nitrogen you would have a weird sort of primary imine, or actually, more accurately an imino analog of a cyclic carbamate. Not sure about this one but I tend to think this looks like something that would only be part of reactive intermediate, and especially with no substitution on the exocyclic nitrogen probably not stable enough to hang around.

Last edited:
retired_chemist said:
If I follow you, with the double bond on the exocyclic nitrogen you would have a weird sort of primary imine, or actually, more accurately an imino analog of a cyclic carbamate. Not sure about this one but I tend to think this looks like something that would only be part of reactive intermediate, and especially with no substitution on the exocyclic nitrogen probably not stable enough to hang around.

I believe these entities are stable, well stable enough to be assayed as sympathomimetics, I cannot remember where but I have seen them reported in the pharmacological literature along with rat data. I would have to look up the references to give you a proper answer.
V

OH groups are not reduced by LAH, not that you could get meth from this compound even if they were.

I think benzylic OH's must be reduced with LAH, since incomplete reduction of indoleglyoxylamides gives the beta-hydroxy tryptamine, ie. the (kinda) ephedrine analog.

Edit: wow i read the first page and assumed that was the end, how does this thread get to three pages while when i mentioned that shulgin made some unusual 3,4,5-phens via a benzyne the thread gets shut immediately!?

Edit: never mind, i think it was in PD actually

Last edited:
My first hand experience was that adrenaline has no recreational value at all. As a child, I received adrenaline shots in the emergency room for severe asthma attacks. It felt like my heart was going to explode out of my chest, I was shaking all over, and I couldn't even sit up for about 20-30 minutes without feeling like I was going to black out.

just by the diagrams of the molecules to me it looks like you could just just knock off a couple of OHs and have meth.I'm no chemist but the more I learn about chemistry the more it seems to me to be specifically designed to mislead or conceal information rather than to enlighten..probly chemists want to continue to make more money than a cook at taco bell..ther's so many compounds that seem so close to meth by the diagram(phenethyamine,phenelephrine,l-pac) and yet they are always saying it would b too hard to convert..idk,coverup maybee?

It's not a coverup. Let it be said that if there was a route from phenylephrine (or even phenethylamine) to amphetamines -

1. It would have to be a novel reaction, bccause just 'adding' carbons onto skeletons is harder than your molecular model kits make it look,
2. It would have never been recommended as a replacement for ephedrine, because it's a shittier decongentant. The main rationale was switching to phenyleph would deter meth production, not because patients were crying out for a weaker, more inferior decongestant to use.