• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suboxone/Buprenorphine FAQ and Megathread v.1; 2007 - 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
How to taper Suboxone 16mg/day -> 0 w/60 8mg tablets?

I wasn't prepared for this at all but my insurance is no longer covering my Suboxone, apparently... I've been on it for just over a year now @ 16mg/day, and had been paying just $30/month for the copay and am paying $200/month out-of-pocket for the doctor visit, which is hard but I've deemed worth it for now.

Yesterday I went to get my script filled & insurance is saying it's not covered anymore and will be $370!!! That PLUS the doc visit is nearly $600/mo, no way that's gonna happen... I have NONE left at the moment and might be able to scrape up the money to pay for this months supply & stretch it to taper off of them but I really had no plans on stopping the sub right now (did think of getting the dose down over this year though).

I'm just really scared right now because even though I haven't used dope or oxy in almost a year I worry that this will trigger, nay, SLINGSHOT me back into it because I feel kind of abandoned & like "well fuck this shit then, fuck you, i'll show you..." which i know is irrational :-/ and a stupid reason to relapse...but hey whoever said addicts are rational? ::sigh::

has anyone had to taper off from that dose this quickly? any taper plans or suggestions? i'm thinking that if i taper off, the 60 8mg tabs will last me ~6-8 weeks... even with a ~6 week taper is there a chance i'd get any significant withdrawals when they're all gone, just because of the dose i've been on for the past year? any thoughts & experience is welcome, i really need reassurance right now... :( thanks guys ^.^

(please don't merge this w/mega thread until after it get some replies)

(please don't merge this w/mega thread until after it get some replies)

Why, stuff gets answered in the mega threads.

I'll do you a favor and go to sleep now, so you're good until another mod comes along.

Good luck with your problem.

I've gone from 12mg to 8mg overnight...I didn't feel any discomfort from tapering at higher doses, it's the low doses that are really hard to get through.
Get down to the lowest possible dose you can get by on, and stay on a lower dose (1-2mgs) for a longer period of time than having 4-8mgs for a shorter period of time if you have to get off it soon.

In my honest opinion, if you think you will go back to dope or oxy after you quit using Suboxone, you probably will. I've done the same thing...I've been paying for my bupe out of pocket for over a year now and it has been costing me about $500 a month. I would much rather come up with this money for bupe every month because in reality it probably saves me over 2 grand I'd spend on dope anyways...plus my life is normal again !

Maybe you could get your Suboxone dose down to 2-4mgs a day for maintence, that way it would be more affordable. But you would really need the willpower to stay away from any other opioids if you're on a low dose. And tell your doctor your situation. I did with mine, and now I only have to see him every 3 months instead of monthly, which saves me a tremendous amount on doctor visits.

Thanks Mr B.

Any guide to what I need to do with the patches bar wearing them, most of what I have read so far relates to pills not patches, I don't want to cut one of these things open and screw it up. also how much should someone with the above tolerance be taking ? Obviously I know mileage may vary but i'm under instruction from the wife not to do anything too silly =D =D

yeah i'm hoping my doc can work with me, i know i can do every-other month visits to save a little & maybe she'll bump my dose up to 24mg/day but really i'll be making that last 3 months, or something... she's pretty cool, and is the type of person who's invested in the best interests of her patients and not in it just for the money... so hopefully she'll go for something like that, i know a lot of doctors are hesitant to do that kind of thing...

i know from skipping 2-3 days between doses that jumping from the higher doses isn't so bad, but i've never been on fewer than 8mg for more than a couple days in a row so i have no idea how it's gonna be. i've cut off my major contacts but have gotten "stuff" for a friend of mine lately, and it's because of the suboxone that i'm able to have it in my hands and not keep it for myself ya know? like if i wasn't on it i couldn't do any favors like that for friends because i know it wouldn't make it to them... of course the obvious thing is to cut that shit out too or i'm setting myself up for failure.

Just take less every day. It sounds retardedly simple, but thats all there is to it. Thats the cardinal rule. Its pretty easy. I'd outline it, but I don't have time right now.
You could do it with 30 pills in 2-3 weeks. With 60, it will be even easier. You can go slow or fast. I can try to say more later.

that makes sense, deep down i know that'll be fine. i sure don't want to give myself placebo-withdrawals by worrying too much.

try cutting your dose down to 4-6mg in the first few days. a lot of people i've talked to said they couldnt feel the difference between a high dose (6mg) and a really high dose (16mg). suboxone is active and has large noticeable effects at doses as low as .1mg .. if you feel bad, obviously go back up.

otherwise i'd recommend generally with suboxone, is to taper down quickly and slow your tapering as your dose goes down. so spend maybe a month going from 4mg to 0 but get down to 4mg within a week or so.

you're going to have an easy time. because you have such a large supply. and because obviously it's not a full agonist. you probably have enough to spend a good 9-10 weeks tapering. has the potential to be pretty painless.

you might want stimulants at the end though, because i have found suboxone withdrawal to be extremely lethargy-inducing.

60 pills isn't a lot to work with, but with the willpower you could taper off it in a month or so. I weigh my suboxone doses with an mg scale so I know exactly how much I'm taking sometimes. Right now I'm at 10mg/day. You should try to save up and buy just one more prescription. It sucks that your doctor costs so much. Mine is only $100 per consultation (every 3 weeks right now), it was $80. Hopefully my insurance doesn't stop paying for my prescription, that'd suck. I've only been on it for a few months at least. Maybe I should try to taper down. Insurance companies are evil. You should see if you can find a better suboxone doctor that doesn't rape you for cash. $600/month is outrageous.

You can do it with 60 pills...or you can look into the methadone route. If you are ready to get off and not use anymore I would suggest just getting the 60 and taper off. You can drop from 16mg to 8mg without too much discomfort. Keep dropping it as fast as possible. It will take a few days to get comfortable when you start getting to the low doses, but you should be fine.

I've gotten off a 2 gram a day black tar heroin habit (equivalent to about 400mg oxy), several times using a single 8mg suboxone, and not gotten sick at all, not even missed a night of sleep. (of course, I got back on heroin soon after, hence the reason I did the suboxone taper so many times.)

What I'm saying is 60 pills is wayyyyy more than you need.

As some people have said, get down to a smaller amount fast, it should be possible to get to 8mg or less in a week without any discomfort. From there, drop to 4ish mg in a week or two, then from 4mg to as small as possible, 0.5mg or so, in another two weeks or so. Its very simple to do.

Merged , Your posts will get just as much if not more valuable replys in the mega-threads , especially if you put it there yourselves instead of having the mods put it there which shows up as always the same name in the last post case , so i think you are creating your own problem here

help me out with Suboxone(Buprenorphine)

i recently acquired an 8 mg Buprenorphine suboxone. so I've been reading up on it, and i hear that the best way is to crush it and take it sublingually under your tounge for 10-15 minutes, without swallowing.

I also heard that snorting it is bad, because any Buprenorphine that reaches your stomach becomes inactive. can anybody verify this for me, weather its true or not?

becuase i'd like to snort, but not if it's weaker. i'd be down for doing it sublingually, but i really dont want to not be able to swallow my saliva for 15 minutes. im planning on breaking the pill into 4's, and my gf will take half a 4 (1 mg Buprenorphine) and i plan to take a 4th (2mg Buprenorphine)

so please please give me all your advice; on how to take it (sublingual, snort, or eat), and your opinions on the dosages too.

thanks a lot guys,
peace

You should read the mega thread. Which is where I'm gonna send this.

Merged in question on how to take bupe.

my boy told me he's been taking 2mg of suboxone a day for weeks now. he'll do 50 mg of hydro without discontinuing use of suboxone and take his regular dose the next day. now he might be fuckin with me cuz im on suboxone. what do u guys think?

oh and hes getting high on the 50mg by the way....

Last edited:
I don't think he'd feel the hydrocodone; buprenorphine has a much higher affinity for the mu-receptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.