Votes: 1 25.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

L2R

Bluelight Crew
d: robert zemeckis

w: roger avery, neil gaiman

s: anthony hopkins, john malkovich, robyn wright penn, ray winstone, angelina jolie, crispin glover

beorev.jpg

Zemeckis is one of my favourite directors. I just really dig his general content and his wise use of computer effects, is his way, unlike most other hacks, to hide the enhanced shots very smartly, rather than making it glaringly obvious.

Taking his motion captured technique from The Polar Express, here he takes on a classic and much darker tale through an entirely computer animated film experience, and it's going to be available in 2D, 3D and Imax 3D.

I've been looking forward to this for years.

trailer

imdb link

comicon footage review

they should have stayed with the Old English from the source material. Mel Gibson would have. :)

srsly, it'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

^^ I doubt you could find enough people to SPEAK Anglo Saxon, yet alone enough to teach the entire cast to speak Anglo Saxon...

alas...

isn't this completely in CGI?

Gaiman said it would be a 'unique take'... so that means it'll be some bastardization of the epic poem, much like the other adaptation was.

this will be showing at my local imax (the biggest in the world) in 3d!

suh-weet!

anybody see it yet? i wanna go watch it but im not going to waste my money if its not good....cant find any good reviews

Granted, I'm biased because I don't believe any film rendition of Beowulf will ever beat the version I made with a group of friends in High School (Nietzsche, back me up?!)... buuut...

According to Rotten Tomatoes, they give it at 71% good reviews rating. If you read the reviews in there it seems that the consensus is "see this in an IMAX or don't see it at all."

After the dissappointment of the creeptastic The Polar Express, I probably won't see this.

How did you not read any good reviews? Do you mean "good reviews" as in quality review writing or "this film is a good one, check it out" type of review? I guess I was confused. 8)

i saw it last nite. i was actually a bit disappointed. the action is pretty sweet and i did leave the theater wanting to stab a dragon, but i felt the the ending was a bit... meh. btw the movie is animated. i had no idea until it started.

terrible. horrible. i want my money back.

but we didn't see it in 3-d, maybe that was the problem??

ugh. awful.

ChemicalBeauty said:
terrible. horrible. i want my money back.

but we didn't see it in 3-d, maybe that was the problem??

depends on why you didn't like it, i suspect.

AmorRoark said:
According to Rotten Tomatoes, they give it at 71% good reviews rating. If you read the reviews in there it seems that the consensus is "see this in an IMAX or don't see it at all."
I saw it in 3D and I have seen it and I agree with this sentiment. I gave it 3 stars.

his sweet use of digital effects for one. he is one of the rare directors who puts effort in using sfx to accentuate rather then distract, and then he uses them subtly.

i <3 forrest gump, contact, castaway and the back to the future trilogy too much mebbe. especially contact. i never ever tire of that film.

i like cast away quite a bit
and
i LOVE contact. :D

lol i remember that.

but i think you got your quotes mixed up. ;)

L2R said:
i like cast away quite a bit
and
i LOVE contact. :D

i actually really liked Contact, too. i dunno why it gets shit on so much.

i guess people really do prefer Will Smith movies.

actually, i think it is the ending that pisses people off.

having it end slightly ambiguous really goes against the alien payoff that many blockbuster film viewers were expecting. i mean, with such a build up, the payoff aliens are supposed to be spectacular if they zapped those awesome schematics to earth mixed cleverly in with hitler footage, right?

well, i don't think so. any physical manifestation presented at the end would have been anticlimactic imo. it's kinda like IT in the stephen king story, and how no cg could ever capture the entity from the novel properly on screen.

sure thematically, contact's climax was corny, but looking at it through a purely scientific standpoint, a civilisation that far ahead of ours can ONLY be adequately shown ambiguously. because ultimately, our imagination would most likely not be able to fathom such a species, and any attempt to do it as such would sell it far too short.

contact is not a space opera, it is science fiction

and cast away i really enjoy the production quality. the long immaculate deserted 360 degree panoramic island, shot by what was no doubt a fucking big crew to handle the logistics of such effects work and photography, yet they leave no trace of anyone in any frame except tom hanks and wilson the volleyball.

i really can't get my head around that.